Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
Hey all,

Just thought I'd spread the word that Best Buy has the non touch bar MBP on sale today for $225 off. The sale also lowers the price of the open box units to $1,159.99. In case anyone was on the fence or waiting for a sale, this is a good deal.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Hey all,

Just thought I'd spread the word that Best Buy has the non touch bar MBP on sale today for $225 off. The sale also lowers the price of the open box units to $1,159.99. In case anyone was on the fence or waiting for a sale, this is a good deal.

That's not bad at all. The only thing I would suggest buying open box is to look at everything before purchasing. Best Buy/Geek Squad can be fairly lazy when inspecting.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
That's not bad at all. The only thing I would suggest buying open box is to look at everything before purchasing. Best Buy/Geek Squad can be fairly lazy when inspecting.

Exactly. "Geek Squad Certified" means they put a sticker on the box. I've purchased open box before and it's been missing a power cord. Good advise to inspect it thoroughly.

havenyoung

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Exactly. "Geek Squad Certified" means they put a sticker on the box. I've purchased open box before and it's been missing a power cord. Good advise to inspect it thoroughly.
I have one on hold for pickup. The only reason for me to choose a Best Buy open box over a B&H new unit is the return policy. But if there's anything missing then it's a no-go for sure.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
I have one on hold for pickup. The only reason for me to choose a Best Buy open box over a B&H new unit is the return policy. But if there's anything missing then it's a no-go for sure.

You should be fine. Just check the box for everything. Also, there a good chance the machine might be dead. If it is, request to plug it in and see it charging and booting before purchasing. All of these issues aren't the norm with open box, but you mine as well make sure everything is in order before leaving the store.

Reactions: havenyoung

honeybadger1022

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2017
Like any large retail chain you experience will vary. They have a very strict check list before something can be certified, but some things are hard to catch. However, no questions asked returns are nice and depending on the store you can just exchange it with another unit.

havenyoung

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2013
Like any large retail chain you experience will vary. They have a very strict check list before something can be certified, but some things are hard to catch. However, no questions asked returns are nice and depending on the store you can just exchange it with another unit.
And sometimes they even exchange open box unit with a new one. I once had an open box "excellent" soundbar delivered bent and broken (the previous owner didn't include all packing materials). When I took it to the store they offered to exchange it with a new unit right off the shelf without me even asking.

Reactions: capathy21

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Open box for $1,150 or so, ask for an extra 20% off, settle for 10% off.

You can easily walk out with a remorse return for sub $1000. I buy 100% of my stuff open box, always negotiate. No issues.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas

You can easily walk out with a remorse return for sub $1000. I buy 100% of my stuff open box, always negotiate. No issues.

Just curious as to how you approach them to get the additional discount? Anytime I have ever asked about that, I'm always informed that they don't discount open boxed apple products.

Rorosbutt

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013

Just curious as to how you approach them to get the additional discount? Anytime I have ever asked about that, I'm always informed that they don't discount open boxed apple products.

I'm interested too lol

lambertjohn

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2012
The cheapest MBP isn't always the best deal, especially if you're getting it from Best Buy. I personally think the 2016 refurb 13" for $1269 from Apple, is the best value on this particular notebook. It's been inspected from front to back by Apple, any problems corrected, and then repackaged to look like new with a one-year warranty included. It's even better than new in my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.