Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nippon Telegraph and Telephone (NTT) has demonstrated the ultra-large capacity optical transmission of 14 terabits per second, over a single 160km long optical fibre, claimed to be the world's largest transmission capacity.

Link.

There is also an interesting bit at the end:

NTT aims to construct a 10Tbps-class large capacity core optical network to promote the realisation of a long-distance transmission system that supports 100Gbps high-speed channels.

Hooray for high speed networks! :D

irmongoose

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Oh great, so the rest of the world will be downloading stuff faster than their hard drives can store it, whilst we'll all be sat here in the UK with BT refusing to upgrade out telephone exchanges so we can get more than 512kbps broadband (some places can't get broadband at all, and BT still refuses to do anything).

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
Killyp said:
Oh great, so the rest of the world will be downloading stuff faster than their hard drives can store it, whilst we'll all be sat here in the UK with BT refusing to upgrade out telephone exchanges so we can get more than 512kbps broadband (some places can't get broadband at all, and BT still refuses to do anything).

You think you have it bad in the UK:rolleyes:

In South Africa, the fastest broadband available is 1MBPS (which I have:) ), and it may be replaced by 4MBPS in 6 months time.

The prices are insane - we pay R1900 ($245) per month for a 1MBPS connection, with a 6GB cap:mad: An extra 1GB of data is R99 ($13).

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Killyp said:

On the 512kbps myself. Cannot get any faster. My aunt and uncle who live further up in the hills can somehow get 1mbps.

silly BT. silly sausage.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
yg17 said:
With that connection, I can upload and download my entire hard drive 20 times in one second :D

Small hard drive? Keep in mind that's not terabytes, that's terabits. So the 14Tbps is 1.75TBps. So if your uploading 20 times and downloading 20 times, that's around a 40 gigabyte hard drive.

Still extremely impressive, though.

What cables could one use to actually get these 100Gbps speeds in a home computer setup, I wonder?

irmongoose

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Xcat said:
What cables could one use to actually get these 100Gbps speeds in a home computer setup, I wonder?

Well the next generation of ethernet standards support up to 40Gbps, which would most probably be enough to support a 100Gbps network (which in reality would be much lower than that once it reaches the home).

irmongoose

NextTuesday

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2006
Cork, Ireland
Killyp said:

I live in the suburbs of my town (10 minute max walk from the town centre) and I can't get broadband, but the estate (sub-division for people in America-land) across the road from mine can get Broadband, a 20-minute drive to my friends house in the middle of no-where and he has a 6MB/s ADSL connection... gah! Dial-up annoys me! I've tried everything, even e-mailed the government but they just sold off eircom (equivalent of BT over here) and so they couldn't do anything but tell me they never updated my exchange due to lack of interest, despite my friend getting 6MB/s in the middle of no-where, never mind 60+ houses not getting Broadband..

Cube54

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2006
Canada
NextTuesday said:
I live in the suburbs of my town (10 minute max walk from the town centre) and I can't get broadband, but the estate (sub-division for people in America-land) across the road from mine can get Broadband, a 20-minute drive to my friends house in the middle of no-where and he has a 6MB/s ADSL connection... gah! Dial-up annoys me! I've tried everything, even e-mailed the government but they just sold off eircom (equivalent of BT over here) and so they couldn't do anything but tell me they never updated my exchange due to lack of interest, despite my friend getting 6MB/s in the middle of no-where, never mind 60+ houses not getting Broadband..

Look on the bright side NextTuesday...Enjoy your dial-up.

When I lived & worked in Ireland (Bray/Blackrock) '79-80s it took 2 years to even get a Telephone in your house, not to mention 1 year more to actually make it work.

Street lights that came on only when some one actually remembered to 'thow the switch'.

No phone-books & The entire Dublin area directory-assistance breaking down for days on end (Busy Signal!! - when it worked it was 200+ rings until some answered and said .....

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
raggedjimmi said:
On the 512kbps myself. Cannot get any faster. My aunt and uncle who live further up in the hills can somehow get 1mbps.

silly BT. silly sausage.
I have 1mbps. Its actually quite slow.

Dig this, at school today I downloaded Vista Pre-RC1 in 10 mins. Yes. TEN!

SBT

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2006
England
Mine is 2mbps and is good. It does the job anyway and pages only take a few seconds to load. On my desktop (it's a PC..NOOOOO) i have got the internet connection to 2.7mbps:eek:. But i always break it or slow it down trying to change the router settings:p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.