Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gcdrwhom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
the ATL
This is a report, rather than bitching, as I'm well aware that Bootcamp is beta-ware. Got my brand new 15" 2.33 GHz C2D MBP on Friday. It's beautiful and played fine.

Monday, I get XP Pro and Bootcamp. I double check the firmware versions. Using Bootcamp, I set up a 20 GB partition (out of the ~150 GB I have) and burn the driver disk. I pop in the XP disc and start the installation. MBP reboots, the Windows XP set-up begins, which goes fine until I get to the Windows Partition screen.

There's only one partition, a C Drive (Partition1 [Unknown]) that's 130 GB. That's odd. Where'd my OS X partitions go? And where's that 20 GB Windows partition?

So I quit out of XP Setup (F3), and reboot the machine, holding down Option as it comes back up. I get a grey screen with a single icon showing a CD with "Windows" underneath. No OS X partition, no Windows partition. Clicking on the CD does nothing.

I go through the following series of reboots:
  • No CD in drive: Grey screen
  • No CD in drive, hold down Option: Grey screen, mouse pointer, lock-up
  • No CD in drive, hold down Cmd-S: Grey screen
  • OS X Install CD, hold down C: Grey screen
  • OS X Install CD, hold down D: Grey screen
  • OS X Install CD, hold down Option: Grey screen, mouse pointer, lock-up
  • XP Install disc: Grey screen
I repeated this list after resetting the PRAM and PMU. To no effect. Time to go to the Apple Store.

Bottom line: Bootcamp nuked my drive, taking the pointers to the proper boot partitions with it, and is somehow preventing me from booting off the OS X Install CD. The single 130 GB partition is a little suspicious, as 20 GB (my requested XP partition size) + 130 GB (the unknown partition I saw under Windows setup) = 150 GB (my total disk size).

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
bummer, sounds like you need to get genius bar help.

and to use the discs to reinstall your complete system. hope it includes ilife on the dvd roms. apple store should help.

i have no problem on my new MBP c2d

gcdrwhom

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2006
the ATL
Slight update: Took it into the Apple Store and had them look at it. They tried to boot off of a Firewire drive, which didn't work. Neither did attempting to zot the firmware from a CD. They're going to fix it on-site, and replace the MLB (logic board?). Should be back to me in a few days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.