Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vvebsta

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2006
So its been a while since I got the 8800 GT upgrade kit and its been running great with no problems that I can tell. But now I want to know if there are better graphics cards out now that I can upgrade to.

I have the MacPro2,1 8-core.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
So its been a while since I got the 8800 GT upgrade kit and its been running great with no problems that I can tell. But now I want to know if there are better graphics cards out now that I can upgrade to.

I have the MacPro2,1 8-core.

You really should have searched. I would have said "started a new thread", since the last post to this one was seven months ago, but searching would have gotten you the answer.

The Radeon 3870 Mac edition is out.

That is it. There are no other cards.

turner1948

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
Problems with NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT in a Mac Pro 1. Gen.

I just bought a Graphic Card Upgrade Kit NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT for 1. Gen. Mac Pro (MB560Z/A).
Now I have a 1. Gen. Mac Pro (MacPro 1.1 from January 2007 with bus spedd 1.33 GHz) under MacOs 10.5.8. So it is the right Upgrade Kit. But the graphic card does not work in my Mac Pro. When the card is built in the MacPro including the power cable and the display is connected the MacPro does not start. Only the startup chime is to hear - infinitely.
Does anyone know how I can solve this problem and bring the card in working ???
Thank you

slughead

macrumors 68040
Apr 28, 2004
I just bought a Graphic Card Upgrade Kit NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT for 1. Gen. Mac Pro (MB560Z/A).
Now I have a 1. Gen. Mac Pro (MacPro 1.1 from January 2007 with bus spedd 1.33 GHz) under MacOs 10.5.8. So it is the right Upgrade Kit. But the graphic card does not work in my Mac Pro. When the card is built in the MacPro including the power cable and the display is connected the MacPro does not start. Only the startup chime is to hear - infinitely.
Does anyone know how I can solve this problem and bring the card in working ???
Thank you

There were 2 8800 cards released. One was for the old mac pro (like you have), the other was for the new one. Also make sure it's plugged in right, in the bottom slot, etc.

turner1948

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
There were 2 8800 cards released. One was for the old mac pro (like you have), the other was for the new one. Also make sure it's plugged in right, in the bottom slot, etc.

Yes I have the right Graphic Upgrade and Yes it's plugged in right.
When I start my MacPro with the old NVIDIA 7300 and are looking in the System Profiler I can see the NIVIDIA 8800 with drivers loaded.
May be the card itself is broken - but it is really new. So I will it bring back to the retailer.
Or is there any other solving of this problem ???

turner1948

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2009
NVIDIA 8800 dosn't work - ATI 4870 does !!!

Even the NVIDIA support couldn't bring the NVIDIA 8800 GT (1st Generation) Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro running in my MacPro 1.1.

So I decided to order an Apple Graphis Card Upgrade ATI 4870 which should official not work in a MacPro 1. Gen. But it does without any problems. Today I installed the ATI 4870, startet the MacPro 1.1. and it works. In addition I have a mini display port for the future.

So forget NVIDIA 8800 - spend more money and buy a ATI 4870 !!

Kind regards
Friedrich Guenter

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
So forget NVIDIA 8800 - spend more money and buy a ATI 4870 !!

+1 for the 4870

Another option for people with a knack for HW mods who love a low power card is the ATI HD 3870 Mac&PC Edition. It needs a 2 slot heat sink with proper base plate, heat pipes and vent towards the rear side. Accelero and Akasa heat sinks are great for this and cost appr. 19$. The card is absolutely quiet with that and it requires no PCIe power cable at all. The downside is you do not get open CL. The upside is you get two Dual-DVI ports for two 30" Apple Cinema displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.