Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Coming in 2012: New Manhattan skyline
NEW YORK (Reuters) -- Three renowned architects Thursday unveiled designs for skyscrapers at the site of the September 11 attacks, giving the public its first comprehensive look at how lower Manhattan's skyline will be transformed.

Foster's building may be the most eye-catching, appearing to be a cluster of four slender towers, each with diamond-shaped tops tilted at an angle to direct the eye down to the memorial, the architect told reporters.

It will be called the Vista Tower, and it slated to open doors simultaneously to the actual release of the new, much-anticipated and horribly-delayed Microsoft OS release.

vert.towers.gi.jpg

and here is how it will look with lighting on... :)

Attachments

• vert.towers.gi.jpg
    vert.towers.gi.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 247

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
With all the political BS delays, Vista seems an appropriate name.:D

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I think they should just rebuild them with the same design as before but improve upon it. Of course using a different footprint. And make the original North and South tower footprints the memorial. As what really made the buildings collapse was the fire weakening the remaining steel trusses and beams because the fire proofing was blown away upon impact. The buildings stood for about an hour before they collapsed. This is speculation, but since they stood for almost an hour, the buildings could have withstood that kind of impact even though the engineers said it would survive an impact of a much smaller plane. The problem was the firefighters couldn't get something that high to put out the fire. So the fire burned and weakened the steel enough for them to break off and which lead to the collapse of the buildings.

Upon construction of the Twin towers the engineers took cost cutting steps which lowered the safety of the towers like the Dry Wall which didn't protect the core of the towers all that well. Eliminate those cost cutting actions and improve the structure of the towers they could withstand( with damage of course) that kind of impact. What else should be done is to engineer a way to get foam/water to those kind of heights. If a plane hit the Empire State building like the terrorists did on 9/11 there would be no way to put out the fire since it is so high up. Again, just rebuild the towers as they were before 9/11, but with an improved design.

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
A top floor in the middle tower would be awesome. Talk about a skylight :)

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
quagmire said:
Again, just rebuild the towers as they were before 9/11, but with an improved design.

Exactly, the whole point of terrorism is to scare you into changing the way you live. By building them almost exactly as before, you say "We will continue to live our lives the way we always have", giving the proverbial finger to terrorism, while still having a memorial for those who died.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
MovieCutter said:
giving the proverbial finger to terrorism, while still having a memorial for those who died.
Why stick with a proverbial finger when you could give 'em the real thing.

images

B

ebow

macrumors 6502a
I'm not thrilled with the apparent lack of unity in the appearance of the four buildings. They feel like four separate projects. Not that the various buildings of the former WTC complex were very similar, but still... they could at least share basic similarities, as do the World Financial Center buildings across the street.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I'm glad the new design is different. If we were to erect buildings similar to the world trade centers, it would just be hiding the truth as if 9/11 never happened. I believe identical buildings would be too upsetting for those with personal connections to 9/11; every day as one passed that site it would be a horrible reminder of what happened.

The freedom tower, on the other hand, is a symbol of hope and pride. It was designed as a memorial to those who died, while still proving to the terrorists that America can eventually prevail.

I really like the design on the freedom tower, but I'm not sure I like the buildings surrounding it. The freedom tower was much more noticeable when all of the buildings around it weren't so similar.

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
ebow said:
I'm not thrilled with the apparent lack of unity in the appearance of the four buildings. They feel like four separate projects.

Yes I agree. Of course doesn't help that they had a different designer for each building. Finally glad that they are starting construction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.