Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London
:D

Clicky clicky

Just tried it. Works perfectly. Remember to follow the instructions at the foot of the site to re-enable MMS. The tethering option still stays in place - instead of "Set up Internet Tethering" you have the option of just turning it on or off.

O2 have already confirmed via Twitter they don't have the systems in place to detect the difference between data from a phone or from a computer. The only way they know is by the amount of data being transferred. If it's excessive (like watching BBC iPlayer etc) they will contact you and tell you to cool it.

Just don't use it excessively and you won't have a problem. :cool:

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Not working here... there are two O2 profiles now, "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo" - neither remove the message that I need to contact O2 to enable tethering.

nathanj.massey

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2006
Leeds UK
I can confirm that you DON'T get charged using this method. It just shows up on your bill as part of your unlimited data plan.

Like the OP said, just don't go mad with it and they won't know the difference between the data on your iPhone or through tethering.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Not working here... there are two O2 profiles now, "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo" - neither remove the message that I need to contact O2 to enable tethering.

It didn't work for me either at first, but after restarting the phone the tethering option appeared :)

Edit: It resets if you use USB tethering. Not really bothered because I will probably pony up for the tethering option as soon as O2 make it available: Saves me carrying an extra dongle around ;)

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London

Have you followed the instructions exactly. Are you on an iPhone tariff and is it a contract? It will only work if you are.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Have you followed the instructions exactly. Are you on an iPhone tariff and is it a contract? It will only work if you are.

Yes I did and yes I am - the instructions don't specify a reboot. Which I've now done and that has done the trick.

beardboy

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
Bath
Does this only work on 3G iPhones?

I''ve installed the profile on my 2G, but no tether option, even after rebooting the phone.

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
it works great, but what I'm worried about it how to remove it, incase I need to. Reason being, other people have found that even by just removing the installed profile doesn't seem to put it back to the original settings...

Anyone?

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Okay, Pay&Go wont work. The o2 config still wants to run through idata.o2.uk instead of payandgo.o2.uk

How annoying:rolleyes:

Nickb

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
it works great, but what I'm worried about it how to remove it, incase I need to. Reason being, other people have found that even by just removing the installed profile doesn't seem to put it back to the original settings...

Anyone?

Surely if you really needed to get rid of it you can just do a full restore?

think ill get this working on mine now, how is it working for everyone in the UK?

iSimx

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2007
true, but if you back it up then you will be saving those settings... I guess...

not sure...

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2005
London

Anyone?

Even changing the APN settings manually won't change the tethering option - it's stays enabled. You need to do a full restore to get rid of the option.

think ill get this working on mine now, how is it working for everyone in the UK?

Works a treat for me.:cool:

RA19

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2009
Warwickshire, UK
Followed all the instructions on the link and it worked! BUT .... now the blue internet tethering bar has disappeared and there is no mention of internet tethering when I go into settings-->network etc.. I've gone back into network preferences on my mac and the ethernet connection that i set up in the instructions supplied has all the data missing and the 'Apply' button is greyed out (inactive).

I've turned phone off & on again and nothing changes. What have I done?
:confused:

big_malk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Scotland
Works perfectly :D

I'm using it now, and it's much quicker than I expected. I don't expect to use it a lot, but this could really come in handy some times! Thanks!

oililymad

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2009
UK
that is so so so cool..
didnt think it would take long. wow.
thanks!!!
sod you o2 and your greedy internet tethering charges..

its pretty fast too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.