[O2] Enable iPhone tethering for free and without Jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thefunkymunky, Jun 18, 2009.

1. macrumors 65816

:D

Clicky clicky

Just tried it. Works perfectly. Remember to follow the instructions at the foot of the site to re-enable MMS. The tethering option still stays in place - instead of "Set up Internet Tethering" you have the option of just turning it on or off.

O2 have already confirmed via Twitter they don't have the systems in place to detect the difference between data from a phone or from a computer. The only way they know is by the amount of data being transferred. If it's excessive (like watching BBC iPlayer etc) they will contact you and tell you to cool it.

Just don't use it excessively and you won't have a problem. :cool:

2. macrumors member

Not working here... there are two O2 profiles now, "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo" - neither remove the message that I need to contact O2 to enable tethering.

3. macrumors newbie

I can confirm that you DON'T get charged using this method. It just shows up on your bill as part of your unlimited data plan.

Like the OP said, just don't go mad with it and they won't know the difference between the data on your iPhone or through tethering.

4. macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

5. macrumors 601

Phil A.

It didn't work for me either at first, but after restarting the phone the tethering option appeared :)

Edit: It resets if you use USB tethering. Not really bothered because I will probably pony up for the tethering option as soon as O2 make it available: Saves me carrying an extra dongle around ;)

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Have you followed the instructions exactly. Are you on an iPhone tariff and is it a contract? It will only work if you are.

7. macrumors member

Yes I did and yes I am - the instructions don't specify a reboot. Which I've now done and that has done the trick.

8. macrumors regular

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

I believe its iPhone tariff contracts only though I'm not 100% sure.

10. macrumors regular

beardboy

Does this only work on 3G iPhones?

I''ve installed the profile on my 2G, but no tether option, even after rebooting the phone.

11. macrumors newbie

is there any way i can get this working on my iphone 2g? im on o2 pay monthly

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

Yup only 3G running OS 3.0.

13. macrumors 6502a

14. macrumors 6502

iSimx

it works great, but what I'm worried about it how to remove it, incase I need to. Reason being, other people have found that even by just removing the installed profile doesn't seem to put it back to the original settings...

Anyone?

15. macrumors 6502

Do you need to be running 10.5.7 for the iPhone to show as a new network interface?

16. macrumors regular

Okay, Pay&Go wont work. The o2 config still wants to run through idata.o2.uk instead of payandgo.o2.uk

How annoying:rolleyes:

17. macrumors regular

Surely if you really needed to get rid of it you can just do a full restore?

think ill get this working on mine now, how is it working for everyone in the UK?

18. macrumors 6502

iSimx

true, but if you back it up then you will be saving those settings... I guess...

not sure...

19. macrumors regular

which one do I need?
    "O2 Contract" and "O2 Vertigo"

20. thread starter macrumors 65816

Even changing the APN settings manually won't change the tethering option - it's stays enabled. You need to do a full restore to get rid of the option.

Works a treat for me.:cool:

21. thread starter macrumors 65816

Reboot your phone if you have two options after downloading the settings file.

22. macrumors newbie

23. macrumors regular

Followed all the instructions on the link and it worked! BUT .... now the blue internet tethering bar has disappeared and there is no mention of internet tethering when I go into settings-->network etc.. I've gone back into network preferences on my mac and the ethernet connection that i set up in the instructions supplied has all the data missing and the 'Apply' button is greyed out (inactive).

I've turned phone off & on again and nothing changes. What have I done?
    :confused:

24. macrumors 6502a

Works perfectly :D

I'm using it now, and it's much quicker than I expected. I don't expect to use it a lot, but this could really come in handy some times! Thanks!

25. macrumors 6502

oililymad

that is so so so cool..
    didnt think it would take long. wow.
    thanks!!!
    sod you o2 and your greedy internet tethering charges..

its pretty fast too.