Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
Whilst I'm happy about the Call increases, I seem to Text all the time now, so I would like to have seem 1000 texts in the £45 tariff!

jazzyfingers

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
O2 to O2 calls

not sure if this has come up before (surprised if it hasn't) - but is the Apple 'wedge' each month from O2's iPhone subscribers preventing them (O2) offering the free O2 to O2 customer calls that are available on the normal O2 tarrifs? And what's the likelyhood of that being added to iPhone plans in future....?

MisterEd

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2006
not sure if this has come up before (surprised if it hasn't) - but is the Apple 'wedge' each month from O2's iPhone subscribers preventing them (O2) offering the free O2 to O2 customer calls that are available on the normal O2 tarrifs? And what's the likelyhood of that being added to iPhone plans in future....?

This is something I was wondering too. Almost all the people I call regularly are on O2, and all the other contracts at the same price have free calls to O2. If the iPhone contract had this, I'd snap it up in a second!

Ed

jazzyfingers

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
This is something I was wondering too. Almost all the people I call regularly are on O2, and all the other contracts at the same price have free calls to O2. If the iPhone contract had this, I'd snap it up in a second!

Ed

Yeah, just moved the wife's account from Vodafone over to O2 - better tariff and the free O2 calls. Now I'm itching to move from Orange and get the iPhone...do I ...don't I...!?

Retired
May 16, 2006
I really wish they kept the old contracts with lower prices, rather than increasing the contract goodies on the same price levels...

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
I've got my brand new iPhone sat in front of me, should I wait a few hours to see whether they change the contracts immediately with iTunes registration for the new ones before doing it?

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
I've got my brand new iPhone sat in front of me, should I wait a few hours to see whether they change the contracts immediately with iTunes registration for the new ones before doing it?
I would wait until tomorrow. There again you could try starting the process after midnight and abort if they still have the old rates up.

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
I would wait until tomorrow. There again you could try starting the process after midnight and abort if they still have the old rates up.

I did that lol.

I'll see what they're like tomorrow :)

nc7r

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2007
picture261a33.png

Stardotboy

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2008
Manchester, UK
So yesterday I got a generic text from O2 saying that my existing contract would be updated by mid march to reflect the new pricing structure, and that I'd receive a text from them to say when the changes were active - but I'm curious - has anyone else got a text to say the changes have been made yet?

Dead impatient now :)

Mac Rules

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2006
Europe
Thats really good!!! All I need is the 3G version, maybe even with HSDPA, and it most definatley needs MMS, video calling to bring it up to standard, and I will lay O2 some serious cash!

Can't wait!

Cheers

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
iPhone Bolt ons

New update from MacWorld and on o2 Site

Separate £7.50/month deals promise users unlimited O2 to O2 calls, unlimited texts, unlimited weekend calls, unlimited fixed line calls or an extra 200 anytime minutes.

The company is also offering users the chance to sign up for discount country calls, offering cheaper calls from the following country blocs for £3 per month: USA and Canada; Australia or New Zealand; South Africa, Turkey, India, Pakistan or Bangladesh; China.

Finally, O2 is also offering discounts on calls made and received in Europe. "When traveling in Europe or Spain, receive calls for free and make calls to the UK and other included European countries for 25p/min." This costs £10 per month, or £5 to choose the discount in Spain. The deal can be tied for one month.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/boltons

keep getting better! (mind you £7.50 for o2 to o2 is a bit cheeky!)

jazzyfingers

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
New update from MacWorld and on o2 Site

Separate £7.50/month deals promise users unlimited O2 to O2 calls, unlimited texts, unlimited weekend calls, unlimited fixed line calls or an extra 200 anytime minutes.

The company is also offering users the chance to sign up for discount country calls, offering cheaper calls from the following country blocs for £3 per month: USA and Canada; Australia or New Zealand; South Africa, Turkey, India, Pakistan or Bangladesh; China.

Finally, O2 is also offering discounts on calls made and received in Europe. "When traveling in Europe or Spain, receive calls for free and make calls to the UK and other included European countries for 25p/min." This costs £10 per month, or £5 to choose the discount in Spain. The deal can be tied for one month.

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/boltons

keep getting better! (mind you £7.50 for o2 to o2 is a bit cheeky!)

Keeps getting better (and more reasonable) - very tempted to get the iPhone now....but if someone could just predict if the new version was close to making an appearance...!?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Now this I like! 600 minutes you say, and unlimited data. Soon as the 16gb iPhone hits then it's miiiine.

Nusku08

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
O2 Rock ! (well for now...)

Two reasons:

I just move my broadband to O2 to take advantage of the 'no download limits - £7.50 a month" you get if you have an iPhone (i was paying £17.50 a month for a limited service). My connection speed has gone up from 3.5 to 4.5

Second reason: I was visiting the US in January and because I had a whole series of work problems I ended up download a ton of emails... Well I had a call from O2 yesterday to discuss my data usage - turns out I had run up a bill of £360 !!!!!!:(

...well, after I picked myself up of the floor the O2 guy sympathised with my plight and wiped the bill ! But he suggested that next time I switch off data roaming as the bill won't get wiped a second time.

how cool !

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
http://www.hs4cl.com/2008/01/29/a-better-deal/

interesting read, apparently the unlimited internet has changed!!!!
but according to this no one should be worried:confused:

From here:

UNLIMITED DATA / WIFI EXCESSIVE USAGE POLICY
Your O2 tariff for iPhone allows you unlimited use of O2 UK's Edge / GPRS networks and The Cloud's UK Wireless LAN network, for personal internet use, email and Visual Voicemail (VVM) on your iPhone only. All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes.
You may not use your SIM Card in any other device, or use your SIM Card or iPhone to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, enable Voice over Internet (Voip), P2P or file sharing or use them in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other customers of O2 or The Cloud. If O2 reasonably suspect you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission or disconnect your tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.

We're at the 1st Feb but that looks exactly the same as it did before as far as I remember and there's certainly no numerical limit mentioned.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Original poster
Mar 24, 2006
The tariffs are no doubt a huge improvement and its not just for the iPhones but across the board overall but i still hate 18 month lockdowns. That said i'd probably get one once 3G comes out or if something mysteriously happens to my current unlocked phone and/or i get tired/frustrated with the whole jailbreak/hacking workaround-to-prevent-bricking thing.

In the meantime i applaud O2's new Sim only tariffs which gives me 600 mins 1000 txts, free voicemail, free ITS, free web bolt-on all for £25 and i've been hooked up with free cloud access. Also i can cancel my service agreement with just a month's notice. Perfect for me. If iPhone 2 comes out and i really like it then i'll consider locking myself down in a contract once more.

markymc

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2008
o2 mistake or sign???

I just downgraded to the £35 contract after the tariff change, this is the reply i got:

I've changed your tariff to iPhone 35 and it'll take effect from your next bill date. Your next bill date is 10 February 2008. The monthly line rental for this tariff is £35.00 including VAT (Value Added Tax). This tariff includes the following:

600 free anytime cross network minutes
500 free text messages or 250 free media messages
unlimited data, free Wi-Fi allowance and free Visual Voicemail 901 service.

Obviously interesting line is 250 free media messages???

Hands0n

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
North Kent, UK
I just downgraded to the £35 contract after the tariff change, this is the reply i got:

Obviously interesting line is 250 free media messages???

Cor yea, whats that all about? Suspects that 1.1.4 will have MMS - now that would be cool :)

The new iPhone O2 tariffs are good value for money and go a very long way to make up for any missing stuff. Nice to see that O2 are allowing their early adopters to take advantage of the new tariffs also. This is likely to drive up the sales quite a bit if O2 and Apple market these new tariffs effectively. Its not enough to rely upon word of mouth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.