Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdiepenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Dear all,

I have a Mac Pro 2009 and has multiple bootable disks, main NVME is running Mojave and a other disk is with OCLP Monterey and my goal is making my NVME booting (Clean install I prefer) with Ventura or even better Sonoma.
I watched some YT OCLP guides and started that.
And what i do I cant install another clean disk to even Ventura or Sonoma.
I have used 1.21 OCLP and have used / prepared with the OCLP App a bootable NVME USB disk with multiple boot partitions (Monterey / Ventura / Sonoma).
They all are starting / booting and installing from recovery but after the many reboots at the end is failed and cant boot the installed disk what I tried to make ..
Get on screen error with the sign on it.

I get in the bootpicker all menu choices/ my old working partitions / 3 x install OSX version what i type above and EFI.

What should go wrong? Or is there a great trick how to do it.
or Is it better I do the OSX upgrade off the Monterey working NVME disk and go to Ventura and then Sonoma ? Is that better?

Somebody has ideas what is going wrong?
Thx all.

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
if you get the forbidden sign it's either a not matching board ID or some filesystem error.

Boot verbose (cmd-v at boot or when selecting the OS) to get meaningful verbose text output.

OpenCore must be loaded first. If not renamed, it's EFI Boot on the boot picker. This is the bootloader, and the bootloader boots the unsupported OS.

If you try to boot unsupported OS directly from the native Apple boot picker you will get the forbidden sign.

cdiepenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Hey hi Macschrauber, thx for your fast reply and explain. I did some more homework better reading and started over again. Somehow I messed up some Boot parttions now on my NVME and try to solve it. I did manage making a triple partioned booting USB and even NVME external drive with Monterey Ventura and Sonoma for I like to choose to install. I did make a clean install on a clean SSD drive with Monterey just for testing I understand the proces better. I must now recover / repair the main NVME booting partions (there is one who is relative important to get it back. Not a big worry I use a Mac Studio M1 for main work and have backups )and try to install Ventura on a diff disk or partition with OCLP. I shall post more after.

cdiepenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Sofar did it again and it seems Monterey is going flawless . Ventura and Sonoma isn’t going with OCLP.
in the more final steps it wont work with finishing the installs. Tried clean install upgrades all failed.
Did not tried yet removing all installed disk and put in a clean one and start over. I do soon.

basslik

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2008
I'm trying to get to recovery mode running OCLP holding down CMD+R. Get a message on the top left error.

Trying to install a software program and I'm getting this error.

The download path you've selected does not exist, you do not have permissions to write to this location, or there is insufficient space in the current download path. Please close this window to select a new path or clear up some space. (code: 108)

I tried to allow the NVMe to allow to read and write but doesn't allow me permission, even though I'm admin.

How to Boot Recovery through OpenCore Legacy Patcher

By default, the patcher will try to hide extra boot options such as recovery from the user. To make them appear, simply press the Spacebar key while inside OpenCore's Picker to list all boot options.

That didn't work either, just showed the drive and nothing else.

Last edited:

cdiepenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Dear all , a update.

It seems my 6800 card is the big issue.
I swapped the GPU to my older 580 card and everything is working fine with OCLP1.21.
Only I installed 1.3 OCLP and one boot partion my USB seems to messed up now.

Try to solve that again.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
AMD NAVI GPUs - RX 6800 is a NAVI 2x GPU - installed to a MacPro5,1 are supported up to Monterey.

OCLP does not have support for NAVI GPUs with Ventura and Sonoma.

cdiepenheim

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2020
Yes thank you. I got that answer too. We have to wait when they fix that with drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.