Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shootertwist

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2011
But they seemed so certain. :D I have 45 days for them to be proven wrong, so it's a win-win for me. I'm running iOS 6 on my new Mini, and loving it. Some apps require an upgrade to iOS 7, and can't be downloaded. NBC is one, but I don't use that app......

it's their job to sell you an ipad that very moment, pretty sure they'll say anything to get you to buy one, but good thing you have time to return it :)

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
I would say:

Ipad 5:
- Touch ID
- A7X
- Smaller bezels and reduced weight (with Mini colours)
- More RAM
- Improved Camera
- Starts at 32 GB

Ipad Mini:
2 choices, either they managed to put retina in it or not.
- Retina, if yes => thicker
- Touch ID
- A7
- More RAM
- Improved Camera

Honza

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2011
SF Bay Area
iPad 5:
  • New design with Gold, Space Grey, and Silver colors
  • Touch ID (75% sure)
  • Improved Camera
  • A7X Chip (For those wondering the "X" means it has more powerful graphics to drive the retina display on iPad. Proof: iPhone 4s and iPad 2: A5. iPad 3: A5X. iPhone 5: A6. iPad 4: A6X. iPad mini: A5
iPad mini 2:
  • Retina display (same as iPad 4)
  • Improved Camera
  • Slightly Thicker
  • A7X, maybe clocked down compared to iPad 5
  • I'm 50-50 on Touch ID

Apple hasn't really increased a price when they update a product in the past, so I don't see any reason as to why they would do so now...

+1 except I don't believe the mini 2 will have touch ID. They will keep it for the full iPad for business/enterprise use, and as a differentiator. Before they used the screen and processor to separate the two models, but now they know that the performance of the mini is critical as it is very popular and represents the iPad brand as a whole. The Touch ID will be the "pro" feature on the full iPad.

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012
iPad 5:
  • Touch ID (75% sure)
  • Improved Camera
  • A7X Chip (For those wondering the "X" means it has more powerful graphics to drive the retina display on iPad. Proof: iPhone 4s and iPad 2: A5. iPad 3: A5X. iPhone 5: A6. iPad 4: A6X. iPad mini: A5
iPad mini 2:
  • Improved Camera
  • Slightly Thicker
  • I'm 50-50 on Touch ID

Apple hasn't really increased a price when they update a product in the past, so I don't see any reason as to why they would do so now...

• iPad 5
  • New Design with 3 colours - Check
  • Improved Camera ( 5mp to 8mp) - Check
  • A7X - Check
  • Ram - 2 GB
  • iPad Mini 2
  • Retina Display - Check
  • Slightly Thicker - Check
  • A7X - Not sure ( Could be A6X or A7 also)
  • Camera - Not sure (Could be a version similar to the 5C)
  • Three colours as iPad 5 - More or less sure.
  • RAM - 1GB

The touch ID could be a bit of concern, especially for the Mini.Firstly, only the premium 5S got the Touch ID to differentiate it from the 5C. it is widely understood that fingerprint sensors were one of the main reasons why the 5S got delayed, and why there is presently widespread shortage in the device. In such a scenario, would Apple really be able to secure such large volumes of fingerprint sensors for use in the iPads? Secondly it would make more sense to use it in the larger iPad for differentiation and with the mini likely to gain the retina, the profit margin might be way too low for them to incorporate the finger sensor as well. Thirdly, it is said that full size iPads are already in full swing production, which means if fingerprint sensors were in place, the quantities would have to be ready already. Last but not least, the mini is expected to have low quantities till much into next year, so it really wouldn't make sense to incorporate such tight quantity materials into a device that is already facing shortage issues.

Pricing I agree, with you. Its going to pretty much stay the same. If at all, the ipad 5 $499 could start with 32GB. The mini is sure to start at the same price of $329 or a slight increase to $349. The first gen mini may drop down to $279 to $299.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010

Attachments

• oct_22_2013_invite.jpg
    oct_22_2013_invite.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 66

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
iPad 5:
  • Touch ID (75% sure)
  • Improved Camera
iPad mini 2:
  • Improved Camera
  • Slightly Thicker
  • I'm 50-50 on Touch ID

• iPad 5
  • New Design with 3 colours - Check
  • Improved Camera ( 5mp to 8mp) - Check
  • A7X - Check
  • Ram - 2 GB
  • iPad Mini 2
  • Retina Display - Check
  • Slightly Thicker - Check
  • A7X - Not sure ( Could be A6X or A7 also)
  • Camera - Not sure (Could be a version similar to the 5C)
  • Three colours as iPad 5 - More or less sure.
  • RAM - 1GB

The touch ID could be a bit of concern, especially for the Mini.Firstly, only the premium 5S got the Touch ID to differentiate it from the 5C. it is widely understood that fingerprint sensors were one of the main reasons why the 5S got delayed, and why there is presently widespread shortage in the device. In such a scenario, would Apple really be able to secure such large volumes of fingerprint sensors for use in the iPads? Secondly it would make more sense to use it in the larger iPad for differentiation and with the mini likely to gain the retina, the profit margin might be way too low for them to incorporate the finger sensor as well. Thirdly, it is said that full size iPads are already in full swing production, which means if fingerprint sensors were in place, the quantities would have to be ready already. Last but not least, the mini is expected to have low quantities till much into next year, so it really wouldn't make sense to incorporate such tight quantity materials into a device that is already facing shortage issues.

Pricing I agree, with you. Its going to pretty much stay the same. If at all, the ipad 5 $499 could start with 32GB. The mini is sure to start at the same price of $329 or a slight increase to $349. The first gen mini may drop down to $279 to $299.

Another rumor that both mini and full iPad 5 will have the Touch ID

http://bgr.com/2013/10/15/ipad-5-pictures-touch-id-fingerprint-scanner/

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
I do think iPad 5 will have a fingerprint sensor but not for the iPad mini. The mini should have retina or IMO there is no actual point in getting it. Personally I have an iPad 4 so I am not going to bother getting a new one, might be persudaded to get a mini but depends on the size there is available and the colour options if there are any colour variations.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
I do think iPad 5 will have a fingerprint sensor but not for the iPad mini. The mini should have retina or IMO there is no actual point in getting it. Personally I have an iPad 4 so I am not going to bother getting a new one, might be persudaded to get a mini but depends on the size there is available and the colour options if there are any colour variations.

I'm starting to gravitate to the notion that the new version will see an increase to $399 to adjust for the addition of a retina display and Touch ID.

I bet the popularity of the Mini could easily sustain at the increased price point given that they add significant value to the user.

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
I'm starting to gravitate to the notion that the new version will see an increase to $399 to adjust for the addition of a retina display and Touch ID.

I bet the popularity of the Mini could easily sustain at the increased price point given that they add significant value to the user.

I agree with that, I just don't personally need another iPad but a mini with 4g would be perfect for my partner and stop him from taking over my iPad.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
I agree with that, I just don't personally need another iPad but a mini with 4g would be perfect for my partner and stop him from taking over my iPad.

I know the feeling. Santa is going to deliver a Wi-Fi Mini to my wife's stocking this year with a note that says, "Here you are, young lady. Now you can leave your husband's iPad alone!"

:p

daywiz

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2012

It simply doesn't make sense that a retina ipad mini would cost $399, jumping from $329. If you remember none of the Retina iOS products costed any higher from their present point. At best they can add Retina and kick it up to $349, and drop the first gen to maybe a price point between $279-$299 ( showing a $50-$70 increase for the better specs and retina. $399 is simply too pricey for the mini. ( $229 for the Nexus 7 Two which can be considered an equivalent product..so yeah!) Consider this $349 for the retina, makes sense and creates a substantial value for apple and the consumer

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I would say:

Ipad 5:
- Touch ID
- A7X
- Smaller bezels and reduced weight (with Mini colours)
- More RAM
- Improved Camera
- Starts at 32 GB

32GB starting is probably not going to happen. Nothing in the whole Apple lineup has more than 16GB for a starter, including updated phones and iPods. They'll string out 16GB for starters until maybe next year.

I wish it was different. Maybe the 22nd will bring an unexpected surprise.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm really hoping for a mini that is basically a shrunken down iPad 5. I love the size, but would also love all the power and features that the 5 would bring (A7X, Touch ID etc).

Even if it cost a little more, would be the perfect product IMO.

bigcstyle4

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
It simply doesn't make sense that a retina ipad mini would cost $399, jumping from $329.

I think they'll keep the first gen at $299 and the new one at $399. The first gen had lesser specs than the full size iPad, so if the new mini is on par with the full size, I could see this happening.

dlondon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2013
Apple have said that the secret to their success was to strip back the number of products they offered. With the introduction of the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s, along with all the mobile variants of those models for the various networks, the number of products in their inventory has increased considerably. Now I wonder whether Apple would limit the number of products for the iPad line or whether they'll have to offer so many variants to remain competitive?

Personally, I'd prefer to see one wifi and cellular model for the iPad 5 and the but I suspect Apple would prefer the increased margin of the cellular models and the lower price point for the wifi only models.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple have said that the secret to their success was to strip back the number of products they offered. With the introduction of the iPhone 5c and the iPhone 5s, along with all the mobile variants of those models for the various networks, the number of products in their inventory has increased considerably. Now I wonder whether Apple would limit the number of products for the iPad line or whether they'll have to offer so many variants to remain competitive?

Personally, I'd prefer to see one wifi and cellular model for the iPad 5 and the but I suspect Apple would prefer the increased margin of the cellular models and the lower price point for the wifi only models.

I don't view configuration options as separate products. It isn't as if they have 5 different screen sizes in their phone or tablet lines like other manufacturers.

They will always need to offer many different configuration options to meet the various needs of customers. That doesn't necessarily mean they have moved away from the idea that focusing on less products is better.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
32GB starting is probably not going to happen. Nothing in the whole Apple lineup has more than 16GB for a starter, including updated phones and iPods. They'll string out 16GB for starters until maybe next year.

I wish it was different. Maybe the 22nd will bring an unexpected surprise.

I would not be surprised if they start it at 32 GB for at least the iPad 5 and maybe even the iPad Mini. Although I do agree it is somewhat uncertain I would not think it's that unlikely and I see a real shot for Apple to market itself against the competition for a low cost. The cost of the extra storage is extremely low for Apple but a bump in storage would mean that the entry level iPad is no longer compared to the entry level Android tablet which means the price difference will not seem as high.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.