Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
I'm still waiting for this.Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cML814JD09g

TheVoidVR.jpg

VR theme park

rramon

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2014
As a fan of OS Xs User Experience I'm predicting that Windows 10 and its successors will smoke OS X (presumably like Morgan Freeman).

Now start hatin', morons <3

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Might want to check this out:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_Oculus_Rift_support

And no, expanding into this area _in addition_ to mobile will only help Facebook; they're going to be "afloat" for quite some time.

I see a lot of intent there but not much more. If you pull up a list of intent to develop for Android, you'll see thousands of developers but it's meaningless because they all do iOS first because that's where they get their return on investment. Developers for games do consoles first, PC second and maybe Mac/Linux eventually. They will never do Oculus first if they can make more money on the PC/console versions without choking their own resources. Now consider that the customers have to buy a $300 VR headset in addition to the $50 software game and you realize why there will not be more than 10 games released in 2016.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Surprised by some of the comments on this thread, if you want to game, you buy a PC purely based on bang for buck and optimised drivers, not to mention GPUs on macs suck compared to PC desktops.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Facebook bought Oculus because they want to build a social computing platform. VR has the capacity to be the most social platform. They are playing a long game here, they are not really interested in what Oculus do or achieve in the short term, but rather 5 or 10 years down the line. When VR is ubiquitous, cheap, and the size of a pair of glasses. They want everyone to socialize in VR through Facebook, whether that be through mobile devices or a PC.

Then why even develop games and release in 2016? It sounds like they should be developing the true social VR experience and release that when ready. Everyone is going to beat Oculus to market and if the platforms are proprietary, customers will go where the games are. There is zero hardware loyalty.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
so facebook buys it but they're concentrating on high end pc games? the only thing that keeps Facebook afloat is mobile devices. there will be a handful of games that support this device so how many do they really plan on selling?

this thing is doa.

You clearly do not understand gaming, while it will take a few generations for it to mature, the oculus is potentially a game changer in gaming. Facebook is taking what I would call a excellent gamble with it.

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
Haven't read this thread all the way through, however I'm sure I'm not the only to have read the Rift specs and can see that the 2013 Mac Pro (even the base model) would far exceed the specs.

Yes, lots of Macs won't meet the specs, however there are plenty of Windows PCs (perhaps most) out there that won't meet those specs either.

If someone has spent lots of money on a gaming PC they might buy a rift. If someone has spent oodles of money on a Mac Pro (like me) then they might also be interested in a Rift (to play Elite Dangerous, for example).

Saying that the available Mac user base is small is true, yes, but the Windows user base who will be able to run this gadget (as a proportion of Windows machines) is going to be small too.

Then there's the whole PR side of this decision. Some Windows fans will be pleased because they're bitter and twisted, but this approach will upset Mac users who might stop following Oculus on Twitter and just not bother with the whole VR thing either now or in the future (until a competitor fills the void).

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Surprised by some of the comments on this thread, if you want to game, you buy a PC purely based on bang for buck and optimised drivers, not to mention GPUs on macs suck compared to PC desktops.

Exactly. As an example I've got a 2012 mini 2.3 quad 16GB & Apple Care. It retailed for about $1100.00. I just bought an HP Z230 workstation 3.6 Hasell i7 quad with 8GB RAM for almost the same amount of money.

The mini runs Intel HD 4000 while the HP has Intel HD 4600. The HD 4600 is hardly a gaming GPU but it's about 175% as fast as the HD 4000.

Regarding the Oculus Rift I'm pretty much screwed with the mini. However the HP has the capacity for 32GB RAM and has both PCIe 2 and PCIe slots for medium powered GPUs and other necessary cards.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Having said that, I'm surprised Oculus Rift thinks that OS X is such a small market as to not be worth targeting. I can't find any numbers on the matter, but I'd expect a large number of people in game development (less than half, but more than you see for general computer usage) using OS X. So they're shooting themselves in the foot.

I remember reading somewhere that only about 10% of steam users use OS X , they are not shooting themselves in the foot. They are making the right decision to target the majority of the markert.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Considering the specs leave most Macs out anyway, I'm not surprised. But my Hackintosh is a little sad.

Sad that your hackintosh is running OS X and Occulus won't be available for it? OR Sad that your hackintosh's hardware specs don't qualify to use the gear?

If your Mac or Hack has the specs just install Windows on it. Problem solved.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Exactly. As an example I've got a 2012 mini 2.3 quad 16GB & Apple Care. It retailed for about $1100.00. I just bought an HP Z230 workstation 3.6 Hasell i7 quad with 8GB RAM for almost the same amount of money.

The mini runs Intel HD 4000 while the HP has Intel HD 4600. The HD 4600 is hardly a gaming GPU but it's about 175% as fast as the HD 4000.

Regarding the Oculus Rift I'm pretty much screwed with the mini. However the HP has the capacity for 32GB RAM and has both PCIe 2 and PCIe slots for medium powered GPUs and other necessary cards.

And that's the main issue, GPUs, apple has mobile versions at best, a gamer will put most of their money into the best GPU they can get. And desktop GPUs smoke mobile ones.

You can bang in a new GPU into your HP and play the newest games, Apple devices are integrated.

I'm sure someone will bring up the Mac Pro, the 7970 is a very old GPU, and woeful value at the Mac Pro pricing.

----------

Sad that your hackintosh is running OS X and Occulus won't be available for it? OR Sad that your hackintosh's hardware specs don't qualify to use the gear?

If your Mac or Hack has the specs just install Windows on it. Problem solved.

Just dual boot the hackintosh. Best of both worlds. You can even put in components that are compatible with oculus.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
It's moot

I am liking and trusting Facebook less every day. I've minimized my exposure to them to what's absolutely necessary only. A VR headset? I'll look elsewhere just because it is Facebook.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
OS X is also a free upgrade, and will be free in perpetuity, while Windows 10 is only a free upgrade for the first year it is on the market. And judging by the Technical Preview, which is available, it is chock full of bugs, and it may take more than a year for these to be worked out. So by then, it won't be a free upgrade anymore.

The latest version of OS X, currently 10.10.3 Yosemite, will run on hardware a few years older than the current models, which allows for a sizable percentage of Mac users to install it. So, I don't think this will be much of an issue, but I do agree with you that there is a big installed base of OS X gamers, more than the tech media is talking about.

Apple sells hardware, and when you buy that hardware you pay for OS X, Apple gives you free updates. Microsoft sells software, if they gave away their software for free they would have a issue with their business model.

You also choose to ignore that yoshimite was very buggy at launch.

I guarantee you , you are not getting anything for free from apple or Microsoft .

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
Since Windows 8 was released, each new version of Windows has been a reboot, and the OSs image has suffered as a result. OS X is a much more mature platform at this point, so I find it a little perplexing that OS X would be put on pause. We don't yet know how Windows 10 will be received in the marketplace, at the same time that Apple's share is growing, so this move may have been a bit misguided.

Aside from a Mac Pro, which makes can even meet Occulus' minimum specs (R9 290).

There simply isn't enough mac users capable of using Oculus.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
What many here don't realize is that Macs are extremely terrible gaming rigs for core gamers. PC is still where it is at - and will be for the foreseeable future.

Why? Because omnibenevolent Apple doesn't have a consumer grade machine where you can plug a gaming class GPU into. After years of hoping that they'd do so, I gave up hope and went back to PCs. Certainly Jony Ive isn't going to bequeath us with such a thing.

Whereas you can buy a very inexpensive PC that can drive some killer (multi-GPU) graphics cards.

The echo chamber in here is quite deafening, if you think these guys are low-end spenders. They spend more money on their computers than most Apple users - and the machines are much, much faster on the graphics front. Orders of magnitude faster.

These guys have money to blow on gaming hardware - and these are probably the early adopters that Occulus wants.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Since Windows 8 was released, each new version of Windows has been a reboot, and the OSs image has suffered as a result. OS X is a much more mature platform at this point, so I find it a little perplexing that OS X would be put on pause. We don't yet know how Windows 10 will be received in the marketplace, at the same time that Apple's share is growing, so this move may have been a bit misguided.

Couple reasons:

1. OSx, it's drivers, do not update quickly, nor are as strong performance wise as in Windows. Especially for gaming graphics.

AMD and nvidia in particular are frequently updating their windows drivers to provide the absolute BEST performance out of their cards in Windows. But the requirements in OSx have made this sort of quick update practice harder.

2. Apple itself does not really sell "gaming" computers. When you consider that Apple is roughly only 10% of the entire computing world. And of that small number, The computers they do sell mostly come with intel integrated graphics and IIRC, there's no current model with discreet GPU's.

Combining all of this, it make sense for them to focus most of their efforts on Windows based gaming. For now at least.

Apple really eneds to work on their gaming chops. games on the exact same hardware, between two different platforms can run anywhere from 10% to 50% slower in OSx.

An example recently I tested was World Of Warcraft (6.1 patch). fresh installs between the two. bootcamp for windows. OSx 10.10 for OSx.

at native resolution of the MBA, Windows was able to run WoW at native resolution, with 'medium' settings ran at 30-45fps.

in OSx, I had to run low settings, at a smaller resolution to maintain 25fps.

OSx is just not a great platform for gaming. its an unfortunate truth of the matter.

----------

I get 30 fps with high settings 1080p on GTA V.

what hardware?

stanton

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Philly
There's probably still support for Unity?

Okay, I'm a pretty crappy developer, but wouldn't an Application created in Unity and compiled for OSX still run? I might have to play around with the new 0.6 beta at least to give it a shot.

spacemanspifff

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
SPACE
Facebook fail...

Here's two more nails for the Oculus Rift Coffin...

Sony Morpheus (for games)

Google Magic Leap (for everything else)

wyz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
The ball in on apple side

As much as I hate these news, it's good for apple to realise companies are backing out because they are laggin behind. Video cards are one generation below, drivers for such video cards even more. The same macbook pro gives 20% more fps running windows than OS X. VR will tax the computer and gpu and apple is falling behind, all the resources are at iOS, OS X feels already behind the curve. OpenGl is also behind, seems like they are only focused on iOS hardware, for instance Intel is selling the new Xeons since October 2014 and we still have no Mac Pro updates... sad news.

(This comes from a long time mac user, have never used a pc/windows).

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I know this will be sitting on my desk collecting dust after 1 or 2 games... sitting right next to my NVidia 3D gaming glasses... LOL... :p

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Makes sense

This may change with Metal, but Apple wasn't a gaming platform at all until iOS. And they've never allowed direct access to the GPU. This is changing, but the numbers in this area are in Windows still.

But we got Instant Articles first!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.