Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I've run ClamXav and kept Sentry running, thinking I might have "acquired" a virus. But nada.

And the only reason I've noticed the bug is that it switches my Mac into "night shift mode" whenever this occurs.

At any rate, my 15" late-2013 rMBP glitches at least a few times a day, where the date and time momentarily switches to Thursday, December 5 - then switches back before I can click in to even find out what year is associated with it. 5 hours is also added to the time. So, today - Mon Aug 22 5:47PM switched to Thu Dec 5 10:47PM, momentarily activating "night shift mode" - then switched back.

Anyone else experienced this? My primary concern is that I'm obviously not taking advantage of my time traveling experience - and thinking I should possibly open up a day trading account? Brokerage tips?

Thanks very much for any advice. If any gurus happen to glance at this, my computer is set to automatically update the date and time, if that's important?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Perhaps something goes wrong when the system checks your time zone? Can you try disabling automatic the time-zone selector and see whether that makes a difference?

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Perhaps something goes wrong when the system checks your time zone? Can you try disabling automatic the time-zone selector and see whether that makes a difference?

Thanks. My memory isn't stellar - but this has been going on for quite a while. I believe I did disable the automatic syncing and the same curious date continued to momentarily "glitch". But I'll turn it off right now and update this tomorrow or the next day to double-check. But the date always switches to the exact same date - it's not random. Again, the only reason I notice is that night-shift mode causes the top menu bar to momentarily turn black.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
I am not sure where to begin. It would help to have an overview of the software you installed, maybe there is something that could be causing this. I personally recommend Etrecheck for this, as it scans the system for information and produces an anonymous report, without administrator privileges. You can paste the report here.

I am not sure about ClamXav, it does miss some things too.

Again, the only reason I notice is that night-shift mode causes the top menu bar to momentarily turn black.

With ‘night-shift mode’ you mean f.lux?

CrashX

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I am not sure where to begin. It would help to have an overview of the software you installed, maybe there is something that could be causing this. I personally recommend Etrecheck for this, as it scans the system for information and produces an anonymous report, without administrator privileges. You can paste the report here.

I am not sure about ClamXav, it does miss some things too.

With ‘night-shift mode’ you mean f.lux?

I have f.lux installed, but the menu bar also switches from white to black. I'm running etrecheck now. Thanks so much.

Last edited:

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
That’s a lot of software with kernel extensions and launch agents. Are you perhaps blocking something with Little Snitch? Or perhaps in the /etc/hosts file (you can see the contents by typing ’cat /etc/hosts’ (without quotes) in a Terminal window)?

//Edit:

I think I found it. The solution is simple and requires these two Terminal commands:
Code:
sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lsreset.plist
sudo rm /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.lsreset.plist

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.