Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipodonly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by ibookin'

That's nice. I also know quite a few creative professionals on and off this site who use Macs as their daily design machines, and wouldn't want to use anything else.

I resent your continued implications that the Mac is just some pretty toy, and real work is done on other kinds of computers. Also, as a designer, you should know that aesthetics are of great importance. My PC has an ugly case, ugly OS, and ugly software for the most part. It is sitting under my desk headless right now, controlled via a RDC on my iMac.

Here in L.A., go to a top-end recording studio (and I have been in a few, my dads company builds them), and you will find (surprise, surprise) G4 towers in the edit rooms. Having Windows machines would probably give one studio I've been in less of a high-end appeal. My PC using dad says that nearly every studio owner he talks to standardizes on Macs because they are the "cool" computers, and they get the job done to boot.

Macs are not just toys. If you want me to elaborate on the studio I talked about briefly say so.

thanks for reitirating what ive been trying to get through your thick heads. you can justify buying a mac for its appearance BUT NOT FOR ITS PERFORMANCE.

ipodonly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Re: To our esteemed uniquely professional new friend...

Originally posted by BaghdadBob

You PC weenies (Rower, can I get an insult in here? It's only fair) always react like this when something good is coming for the Mac.

Don't walk in here and think anyone is impressed. We're not. And believe me, we're the ones doing the laughing, because good things are coming along, and you PC snobs just can't stand it. You never can.

Oh, and calling it a $4000 "ultra-inferior" computer tips your hand a little bit. They may have been inferior in speed, but no one coming from an objective standpoint would ever call them "ultra-inferior" because its quite simply false.

hey you mustve missed my sarcastic "Pentium crushing g4"
you fools have been paying for the same chip for what 4 years straight now? You probably THINK that an airport hub which you paid 3 times the price vs. a non-apple wireless hub actually works better. Once again, argue that it might look better but not that it performs better.

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
Originally posted by ipodonly
thanks for reitirating what ive been trying to get through your thick heads. you can justify buying a mac for its appearance BUT NOT FOR ITS PERFORMANCE.

Aparrently you missed something.

Originally posted by ibookin'
they are the "cool" computers, and they get the job done to boot.

If there is one thing I know about people involved in any media, it's that they don't buy anything without knowing it's the best system for their purposes. Time spent waiting to encode/render/process a file is far too valuable to throw money at a system that is "cool" but can't do the job well.

Furthermore, I question the validity of the studio example to begin with because it's not uncommon for ALL studio work to be done on PCI cards and not on the main processor (which is why so many PM 9600s are still in service--the old 604 processor is not a liability and there are six PCI slots). If that is the case, all that is left to compare is the percieved "coolness" of the machine.

Either way, it hardly matters. People buying computers for professional reasons will buy the system that suits their purposes the best.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop

-ipodonly

True today Saturday June 21, and tomorrow, Sunday June 22, but come Monday Affternoon - If Steve's announcement meets or exceeds rumors, performance would be a justification too.

Remember, Macs were undisputedly the fastest personal computers on th planet from about 1996 through 2000 when the P4 got close enough in peformance to create arguments such as these.

It's an eternal battle. It will flip again, and again, and again.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Re: Re: To our esteemed uniquely professional new friend...

you fools have been paying for the same chip for what 4 years straight now? You probably THINK that an airport hub which you paid 3 times the price vs. a non-apple wireless hub actually works better. Once again, argue that it might look better but not that it performs better.
It's not the hardware, it's the software...

And it's not just the coolness of the software, it's the software with the lowest installed base of bugs and virii.

ipodonly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Really? A 2.4 GHz system is faster than a dual 700Mhz?!?!? No way! ;)

Realize you're not comparing equivalent systems, and don't base your entire opinion of Macs on the few machines you've come into contact with.

ok, we can never have "equivalent" comparisons like we can have amd vs intel. first off, an amd 2400+ is not a 2.4 ghz system.
its actually less (google search for more info on nomenclature). Dont take my words for it- do a simple "mac vs pc search." The results are ugly! secondly, i have quite a bit of experience with macs and have a lot of communication with mac users. Ive worked in agencies and almost all its designers are on macs. I have a lot of friends who use macs. I have 2 macs of my own for christ sakes! Point is, i choose to use a PC because its a better overall machine. PC platform simply has better hardware and better overall software. Im talking "overall" so dont start spewing out "what about itunes?!" etc. etc. This is the reality.
Can you even get a dual optical mouse for the mac? what about a pair of speakers that are a step up from those bland Harmon Kardons? My gf has the subwoofer set and she comes over to my computer when she wants to play music. Btw- you fools dont realize what the analysts are saying/recommending: "apple will benefit by eventually going to an amd/intel chip" -- enough said.

Coca-Cola

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2002
WA
Things change. I am not going to buy Walmart stock. They are the number 1 retailer now. But things change and you can't be number one forever. I am sure Woolworths was a number one retailer at some point. Are they still around? Kmart? The same situation applies to M$, Dell, and Intel. Things change. Just like things changed for Nintendo (playstation). Things changed for Apple in the past certainly with the introduction of Windows. Flux.

MacBandit

macrumors 604
ok, we can never have "equivalent" comparisons like we can have amd vs intel. first off, an amd 2400+ is not a 2.4 ghz system.
its actually less (google search for more info on nomenclature). Dont take my words for it- do a simple "mac vs pc search." The results are ugly! secondly, i have quite a bit of experience with macs and have a lot of communication with mac users. Ive worked in agencies and almost all its designers are on macs. I have a lot of friends who use macs. I have 2 macs of my own for christ sakes! Point is, i choose to use a PC because its a better overall machine. PC platform simply has better hardware and better overall software. Im talking "overall" so dont start spewing out "what about itunes?!" etc. etc. This is the reality.
Can you even get a dual optical mouse for the mac? what about a pair of speakers that are a step up from those bland Harmon Kardons? My gf has the subwoofer set and she comes over to my computer when she wants to play music. Btw- you fools dont realize what the analysts are saying/recommending: "apple will benefit by eventually going to an amd/intel chip" -- enough said.

Any USB mouse and any speaker system can work with any modern Apple machine. If you the speaker system requires digital output you can get the hardware from M-Audio. USB mice just work plug them in and go. If it has more then 2 buttons and a scroll wheel then you will have to get a cheap 3rd party program called USB overdrive if the manufacturor doesn't already support the Mac.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
ok this post is in response to all the idiots claiming "performance" leadership. First off, to the idiot above, anybody who knows anything knows that a well built "home-pc" is better than anything that the big vendors can serve up.

The reason you can't compare a home-built PC to a Mac is NOT because a home built one is inferior to a Dell or a Gateway in performance.

Rather, the fault in that analysis is the fact that there is no Mac equivalent to a home built PC. I bet that if I could go to Newegg.com or googlegear.com and buy a 1.25 G4 and a compatible motherboard, I could cut several hundred dollars off the price of a similarly equipped Apple branded machine.

So don't go around saying how cheap your home built PC is compared to Apple's machines. It is an invalid comparison.

P.S. ipodonly......I'd love to see the look on your face on Monday. I am sure Steve will find a way to prove how fast the new Power Macs truly are. :)

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles

The term "better" soley depends on one's needs and perceptions. I don't think you can say one platform is better than the other "overall" because there are so many different tasks that computers are used for. Since you do 3D then a PC is a better choice because they, PCs, currently have a leg up in that field. I cut video and, unless things change drastically, would never again choose to use a PC based NLE. Even if someone offered me an Avid Media Composser I'd ask if I could get the Mac version and not the PC version. The PC version would be faster (although that might change Monday) I've talked to other editors and the PC versions, while not really problematic, seem to have more problems than their Mac counter parts. As my work machine I'd rather have something that is slower and more dependable than something that is faster but more error prone.

And as MacBandit said any USB mouse and any stereo speaking using the standard 1/8" jack can be plugged into any relatively recent Mac.

Lethal

EDIT: helps to proof read. :)

BaghdadBob

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
Gorgeous, WA
And, apparently, you missed the entire first full paragraph of my post, as well as the late 90's, Mr. Van Winkle.
ok, we can never have "equivalent" comparisons like we can have amd vs intel.
Wow...you're so totally right! Which is what everyone is trying to tell your dumb ass. Good boy!
first off, an amd 2400+ is not a 2.4 ghz system. its actually less (google search for more info on nomenclature). Dont take my words for it- do a simple "mac vs pc search." The results are ugly!
Why do you keep telling everyone to do Google searches? I know you're new around here but, we're not idiots. All Mac users are fairly familiar with the "Mac vs. PC" infinite debate. We know where we stand, and we know how we stood in those comparisons even when Macs were ahead in performance (It's true! Just do a Google search on it)
secondly, i have quite a bit of experience with macs and have a lot of communication with mac users. Ive worked in agencies and almost all its designers are on macs. I have a lot of friends who use macs. I have 2 macs of my own for christ sakes! Point is, i choose to use a PC because its a better overall machine. PC platform simply has better hardware and better overall software. Im talking "overall" so dont start spewing out "what about itunes?!" etc. etc. This is the reality.
You are so condescending. "What about iTunes"? What about iTunes??? What kind of users do you think you're trolling here? iTunes does not justify an entire SW/HW set even in our feeble distorted minds which do nothing but rip/mix/burn all day.
Can you even get a dual optical mouse for the mac? what about a pair of speakers that are a step up from those bland Harmon Kardons? My gf has the subwoofer set and she comes over to my computer when she wants to play music.

All apologies to your GF for getting dragged into this, I feel sorry for her already.
Btw- you fools dont realize what the analysts are saying/recommending: "apple will benefit by eventually going to an amd/intel chip" -- enough said.
GAH!! We know what's in the freaking news already! Go home to your Troll cave and do some Google searches!

And did you know what the analysts have been saying about Apple for the last 20 years? Do some Google searches! I'm not making this stuff up!

I know, I know, I should be less bothered by this idiot, I really just feel bad for people who live in total ignorance and am also the confrontational type.

They will certainly feel stupid when the 970 picks up steam. Having the fruity computers holding more hardcore hardware is always embarrasing to the loyalists.

ibookin'

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
Can you even get a dual optical mouse for the mac? what about a pair of speakers that are a step up from those bland Harmon Kardons?

The fact that you don't know these things exist for the Mac leads me to believe you don't have as much experience with Macs as you say you do... My Mac has a minijack out and a USB port. :rolleyes: The Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 that you have will most certainly work on a Mac, either in true 5.1 with an extra sound card or in stereo with the built-in audio.

The studio example was just something I used to illustrate the point that this place, which is a professional outfit, obviously thought that Macs were the best option for their purposes, factoring in the performance and the "coolness". They are not entirely Mac, though. Their receptionist uses a Vaio and they have a Compaq server. ipodonly seemed to imply that Macs were not professional computers, and I wanted to give him an example of Macs in a professional scenario. I know that studios are not the best example, but I know that most of the recording studios I've been in had Macs running Pro Tools along with their big boards.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
yikes!

yikes! it's been kinda fun following /. and seeing how they cover the same stuff covered here... (meaning apple's been involved with some headline news material)

but if that means MR site will be slashdotted for hours on end and some flaming idiot would come here and disrupt out giddy fun, no good...

let's get one thing straight. if the new PM specs come anywhere near the leak, then macs will have significantly improved hardware. it doesn't really matter how good they are compared to PCs, we don't really care. we are having an early chrismas... :D

if you like PCs, good. go have fun with your machine. you can't spoil our fun.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Can you even get a dual optical mouse for the mac?
Yep! Next silly question...

My gf has the subwoofer set and she comes over to my computer when she wants to play music.
Have her turn it up. It does have an external dial - and it is a bit hidden.

Btw- you fools dont realize what the analysts are saying/recommending: "apple will benefit by eventually going to an amd/intel chip"
How old are you? The analysts have alway said these things. They're trying to understand Apple in the context of most other bisinesses, unfortunately, they've never fit the mold. So the analysts miss.

If the analysts were right, Apple would have closed their doors in 1983 at the faliure of the Apple ///

Don't listen to the analysts. They don't apply here.

you fools
Terrible diplomacy. You deserve every lick of flame you get here. I strongly doubt you're really a Mac user. We've seen fakers here before.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Re: Re: To our esteemed uniquely professional new friend...

Ok, look. By the time the P5 is out, I am expecting a PPC 980 to come out somewhere around that time, probly a few months later. That will easily stick with the P5.

I think that a Dual 2.2 or 2.4GHz 970 will be as fast or faster then a P5.

And actually, I have an Airport and a Linksys Wireless Router. The Linksys has better range, but it was an ass to configure.

I was wondering also, whats the oldest PC you use? I know that PCs are built like crap. My G4 is 3 years old, and running like a champ. I play Quake and Warcraft and stuff all the time.

I also have a home built PC. Its 2.66GHz P4 (533 FSB) with Radeon 9500 Pro, and 512MB Dual Channel DDR, etc.

Pros: Fast, runs games good

Cons: Loud, OS Sucks, impossible to configure, hardware incompatibilities, no value, can't work on it.

You can't work on it...because its windows. I installed Kazaa Lite, and somehow, 3 other programs got installed with it. Whatever.

I am looking forward to the 970/980 chips. The 970 will last into next easily for the pro line, and will be running at 2.4GHz (i bet). That will be one helluva chip. 1.2GHz Bus!

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois

ok this post is in response to all the idiots claiming "performance" leadership. First off, to the idiot above, anybody who knows anything knows that a well built "home-pc" is better than anything that the big vendors can serve up. Secondly, if you idiots knew anything you would not make any claims without multiple reputable independent benchmarking. Thirdly, oops! i cant seem to find one of these power macs for sale? LOL
You idiots are in dreamland.

I don't think you are a very nice person...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Originally posted by Groovsonic
I don't think you are a very nice person...

I just looked him up. At this point he's only posted 7 times. All here. And he registered today. Oh, and there is no other info in his profile.

Dedicated troll, nothing more. He's probably laughing his ass of as us for falling for his bait. He's already been warned once.

It was interesting though :D

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
Re: I like PCS, but...

Originally posted by MacSlut
They're just so darn slooow!

Hehehe...just practicing for Monday.

-MacSlut

Here's one for you now :D

My father has a 1 year old IBM NetVista P4 2.2GHz.

It's so haystacked it's slower than my brother's 120mhz 7200.

There's a point we rarely hear discussed, the eventual slowdown from registry haystacking.

ipodonly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by patrick0brien
Yep! Next silly question...

My gf has the subwoofer set and she comes over to my computer when she wants to play music.
Have her turn it up. It does have an external dial - and it is a bit hidden.

Btw- you fools dont realize what the analysts are saying/recommending: "apple will benefit by eventually going to an amd/intel chip"
How old are you? The analysts have alway said these things. They're trying to understand Apple in the context of most other bisinesses, unfortunately, they've never fit the mold. So the analysts miss.

If the analysts were right, Apple would have closed their doors in 1983 at the faliure of the Apple ///

Don't listen to the analysts. They don't apply here.

you fools
Terrible diplomacy. You deserve every lick of flame you get here. I strongly doubt you're really a Mac user. We've seen fakers here before.

LOL@you fools
ok folks, give me the OFFICIAL reason why mac users comprise south of 2% of all pc users. I cant wait for the responses.
Cant wait till monday huh? To confirm that you spent $4000
on an underachieving machine and must spend another $4000 to hypothetically "catch up?" yeah baby!

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Freg3000
The reason you can't compare a home-built PC to a Mac is NOT because a home built one is inferior to a Dell or a Gateway in performance.

Rather, the fault in that analysis is the fact that there is no Mac equivalent to a home built PC. I bet that if I could go to Newegg.com or googlegear.com and buy a 1.25 G4 and a compatible motherboard, I could cut several hundred dollars off the price of a similarly equipped Apple branded machine.

So don't go around saying how cheap your home built PC is compared to Apple's machines. It is an invalid comparison.

P.S. ipodonly......I'd love to see the look on your face on Monday. I am sure Steve will find a way to prove how fast the new Power Macs truly are. :)

Uggg... you're so wrong. Home-built PCs are no longer vastly cheaper than pre-builts. The only difference is you get better performance and higher quality parts. I just customized a 2.8 Ghz 800 MHz FSB Dell with a 17" LCD for $100 less than my home-built... same RAM, et cetera... so my comparison is very just.

Cubeboy

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2003
Bridgewater NJ
Psychology of the peecee weenie

ok this post is in response to all the idiots claiming "performance" leadership. First off, to the idiot above, anybody who knows anything knows that a well built "home-pc" is better than anything that the big vendors can serve up. Secondly, if you idiots knew anything you would not make any claims without multiple reputable independent benchmarking. Thirdly, oops! i cant seem to find one of these power macs for sale? LOL
You idiots are in dreamland.

OMG, MY PEECEE CAN RUN QUAKEIII AT 300 FPS, YOUR STOOPID MACS CAN RUN IT ONLY AT 250 FPS, MY PEECEE CAN RUN IT SO FAST THAT MY EYES BLEED WHEN I WATCH IT MY PEECEE IS BETTER THAN YOUR MAC, MACS SUXX AND PEECEES RULZ ONLY LOOSERS USE MACS.

Honestly, I can't comprehend your logic, for some convoluted and purely moronic reason, you believe that PCs are superior to macs solely because it can run some program fast enough to make your eyes bleed. It's just one of those dillemas that boggles my mind. I mean if you really want to make your eyes bleed, why don't you just take a stick and poke at it a couple times? It'll probably cost a couple thousand dollars less and you won't ever have to worry about the PC crashing during the process. :confused:

Groovsonic

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2002
Near Chicago, Illinois
LOL@you fools
ok folks, give me the OFFICIAL reason why mac users comprise south of 2% of all pc users. I cant wait for the responses.

Hey! What is Rolls Royces marketshare? I bet it's less than 2%. They certianly aren't the fastest cars around... I guess only "idiots" would want one, right?

Secondly, you live in New York. According to your logic, New York is lousy and unimportant, and only idiots live there. After all, NYC is only 2/10 of 1% of the worlds population. Why would anyone care about what happens there? After all, it certianly dosen't have the highest standard of living or the lowest crime or the least pollution in the world..

(no offense intended to NYers, just making a point)

ipodonly

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2003
Re: Psychology of the peecee weenie

Originally posted by Cubeboy
Translation:

OMG, MY PEECEE CAN RUN QUAKEIII AT 300 FPS, YOUR STOOPID MACS CAN RUN IT ONLY AT 250 FPS, MY PEECEE CAN RUN IT SO FAST THAT MY EYES BLEED WHEN I WATCH IT MY PEECEE IS BETTER THAN YOUR MAC, MACS SUXX AND PEECEES RULZ ONLY LOOSERS USE MACS.

Honestly, I can't comprehend your logic, for some purely idiotic reason, you believe that PCs are superior to macs solely because it can run some program fast enough to make your eyes bleed. It's just one of those dillemas that boggles my mind. I mean if you really want to make your eyes bleed, why don't you just take a stick and poke at it a couple times? It'll probably cost a couple thousand dollars less and you won't ever have to worry about the PC crashing during the process. :confused:

ummmm. quake3 is a 5 year old game. try playing a more up to date game. lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.