Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/news/story?id=2770622
After 21 years in the Yankees' organization, including 16 with the major league team, Williams feels burned and doesn't think he should have to earn a job. His agent, Scott Boras, said Saturday that Williams hasn't shown any desire to do that or to play for another team.

"I think he's hurt. I don't think there's any question," Torre said. "He's a very proud individual. I know there are a lot of players in this clubhouse who certainly feel for Bernie. But, again, unfortunately, it's the nature of the game a lot of times."
I wish the Yankees would just give him a contract and get it over with so Bernie can end his career right.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
sounds like it may be sensitve...

i hope this material isn't the type that i can't wear at all. i can't really stand a few types of fabric, and i think sythentic was one of them. i need to try one first.

and i'm probably going up to practice on friday to see the cardinals and marlins. was planning to go today, but it was a bit cold as well as some planning difficulties.

925AS

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2006
CALIFORNIA
Ok so for consumers this is significant news, it seems as the FCC is going to investigate the Direct TV and MLB extra innings deal.

As someone that doesnt have Direct tv or want direct tv, I am so glad tey are looking at this, it gives me hope I can watch all the games yet again.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
Speaking of Astros, how could you not resign Andy Pettitte?

But thanks for that though, he's back home where he started :D

I know, especially in the ridiculous market that was this off-season (can anyone say Gil Meche & Ted Lilly?), it's hard to swallow the 'stros not ponying-up $2 mil extra to keep a solid #2 starter.

With Roger stringing everyone along, that leaves us with RoyO & a whole lotta question marks. It also forced Tim Purpura to give up too much in order to get a serviceable starter in Jason Jennings.

I read some rumor that said Drayton McLane was feeling pressure from Bud Selig b/c of the inflated Carlos Lee deal to not cave to more union pressure. Of course, there was no actual source to that rumor, so I have no idea how true it is.

At the end of the day, even though Andy was injury-prone at times, I think he would've made our rotation a lot more legit.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
I know, especially in the ridiculous market that was this off-season (can anyone say Gil Meche & Ted Lilly?), it's hard to swallow the 'stros not ponying-up $2 mil extra to keep a solid #2 starter.

With Roger stringing everyone along, that leaves us with RoyO & a whole lotta question marks. It also forced Tim Purpura to give up too much in order to get a serviceable starter in Jason Jennings.

I think it was actually $1mil difference. How ridiculous. The 'Stros should've ponied up the dough.

I'm not gonna say a word about Gil Meche and Ted Lilly. It's just too funny.

I do like RoyO, he's absolutely filthy. But, as you said, you're rotation is a whole bunch of question marks. To be honest with ya, I don't see the 'Stros going anywhere this season. Sorry, my friend.

Roger Clemens is starting to piss me off with his retirement bull.

furcalchick

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2006
South Florida
went to spring workouts today

got back half an hour ago from spring workouts, and i got over 200 photos total from the cardinals and marlins spring training camps. it's good i got that new camera, couldn't even take half that with the old one. and the thing was, i could have taken 200 more.

i'll post some pictures throughout the weekend and some by request.

AstrosFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2005
I do like RoyO, he's absolutely filthy. But, as you said, you're rotation is a whole bunch of question marks. To be honest with ya, I don't see the 'Stros going anywhere this season. Sorry, my friend.

Roger Clemens is starting to piss me off with his retirement bull.

Completely agree with you about Clemens stringing people along. The reality is, though, as long as you have the talent, people will cater to special demands.

As for the Astros prospects this year, though I'm not loving their starting rotation, the reality is that the NL Central is fairly wide open. That being said, they'll have to win the division, b/c I don't see the Wild Card coming from the Central. The East & West are full of deep teams, so it's going to be key for the Astros not to come out flat.

If Ensberg can return to semi-form, then he, Lance & Carlos Lee should be a reasonably formidable middle 3 of the lineup.

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Just wanted to relive last year, still hard to believe it

They have been playing Mag's HR on commercials for season tickets, what a great feeling seeing that again.

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
Agreed.It's the same bs every year now. Don't string people/teams along. Piss or get off the pot.

Is anyone really surprised though? When teams are willing to pony up stupid amounts of cash for mediocre talent (Lilly with the Cubs, for example) I'm not surprised that organizations are willing to put up with the insanity for a guy who's still got great stuff.

And Clemens at 42 (?) is still better then most of the pitchers currently out there.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
fyi, i hate them both, more so the red sox, i was against them in 04 due to classless behavior for the team.

What on earth are you talking about?

The expectation of class in sports baffles me, though only vaguely, I 'spose.

Would love to see your pics when you have time to post them.

Am interested to know, outside of our own pet teams, who we think improved themselves most significantly this offseason? I see two breakout teams this year -- the DBacks (adding Doug Davis as a three behind Webb and RJ is significant, and if the youngsters can get it together) and the Indians (their bullpen additions are significant, even with the loss of Foulke). A .500 team after June, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Cleveland surge despite the divsion. I like Sabbathia, Lee, Byrd, Sowers, Westbrook ... plus Adam Miller could come up firing down the stretch.

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
Starting to? He may be the most selfish athlete out there, and that includes Bonds.

Okay, THAT would I disagree with.

Bonds is probably the single biggest focus for contraversy and fan dislike in the sport right now. And even though he's under investigation and his health is failing, he continues to put his pursuit of Hank Aaron's record (and his greed) above the welfare of the Giants and baseball in general. They actually had to add a clause to the 1 year deal he signed with the Giants addressing what would happen if he gets indicted.

Clemens, while possibly wishy-washy and probably greedy, is no worse then any other guy out there trying to get paid. And at least Clemens, with his skills and past history, is probably worth all the money he's asking.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
Okay, THAT would I disagree with.

Bonds is probably the single biggest focus for contraversy and fan dislike in the sport right now. And even though he's under investigation and his health is failing, he continues to put his pursuit of Hank Aaron's record (and his greed) above the welfare of the Giants and baseball in general. They actually had to add a clause to the 1 year deal he signed with the Giants addressing what would happen if he gets indicted.

Clemens, while possibly wishy-washy and probably greedy, is no worse then any other guy out there trying to get paid. And at least Clemens, with his skills and past history, is probably worth all the money he's asking.

At the risk of sounding like a Bonds apologist, which I'm definitely not:

Bonds has not seriously negotiated with other teams to get a pay raise since he joined the Giants. Clemens has left several teams to get a bigger contract.

Bonds has never let himself get out of shape (which Clemens did in his last few years in Boston), then applied himself with another team after getting more money (Clemens in Toronto).

Bonds has never forced a trade from the team he excels for (Clemens in Toronto) to a contender that can also pay him more (Clemens with the Yankees).

Bonds travels with the team. Clemens often skips road trips until his scheduled start.

Bonds has never sat out a third of a season without an injury to create a new bidding war.

Obviously Bonds is pretty selfish, but I think Clemens tops him in several ways. To that I would add that Clemens has experienced a similar late-career performance surge without being seriously investigated for the reasons behind it.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
For half a season,pitching when he wants,coming to the ballpark basically at his leisure to start/relieve...dunno about that one.I know the market is way out of whack,but that's some serious coin he's looking for.Last time in the post season for the Astros,his body didn't fair so well..

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
At the risk of sounding like a Bonds apologist, which I'm definitely not:

Bonds has not seriously negotiated with other teams to get a pay raise since he joined the Giants. Clemens has left several teams to get a bigger contract.

Bonds has never let himself get out of shape (which Clemens did in his last few years in Boston), then applied himself with another team after getting more money (Clemens in Toronto).

Bonds has never forced a trade from the team he excels for (Clemens in Toronto) to a contender that can also pay him more (Clemens with the Yankees).

Bonds travels with the team. Clemens often skips road trips until his scheduled start.

Bonds has never sat out a third of a season without an injury to create a new bidding war.

Obviously Bonds is pretty selfish, but I think Clemens tops him in several ways. To that I would add that Clemens has experienced a similar late-career performance surge without being seriously investigated for the reasons behind it.

While I understand the argument you’re trying to get across, I think you may be glossing over some key points.

First, Bonds probably hasn't negotiated with another team because he's such damaged goods. While he may be putting up power numbers, there is such a cloud of suspicion and mistrust about him and his actions I’m not sure that anyone else would be willing to sign the guy for the money he wants and with the conditions he’s working under: constant, negative media attention, legal investigations and the like. I would also guess that up until a few years ago he wasn’t even a realistic trade prospect - who in their right mind would give up a Barry Bonds in his prime, especially before all the speculation started about his steroid use?

Secondly, I would say that while Clemens is obviously selfish and money-driven he’s no different in this regard then any other high-priced athlete. Professional sports are unfortunately driven by the idea that the individual asks for as much as he can, especially if that individual is at the top of his game. Clemens happens to be a hell of a good pitcher so he can command top dollar and all the extra considerations. And at least with Clemens you know what you’re getting – you know that he’s a mercenary, that he’ll ask for X, Y and Z and unless you’re willing to give it to him, you shouldn’t bother phoning his agent. As far as I can tell, asking not to travel for away-games or having extra perks is no different then signing a $16 million dollar contract – it’s all money in one form or another.

Finally, while you may have your doubts about Clemen’s late-career surge, no one has ever cheated as blatantly as Bonds has. Never mind the huge physical changes to his body, like the fact that his once normal-sized head could now be mistaken for a Goodyear Blimp or that he’s magically put on a ton of muscle and weight. Ignore the fact this once somewhat light-hitting player has somehow transformed into the greatest power hitter ever in the game – in his THIRTIES. This control-freak, who runs everything around him, would have you believe that his trainer slipped him steroids for years in the form of “Flax-Seed,” that his physical transformation is due to great diet and exercise and that what we’ve seen happen to him is perfectly plausible.

Maybe it’s just that Bonds treats the public as though we’re all easily-duped idiots that bother me the most about him…

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
There are suspicions about Clemans as well and what he might have been taking.

Poseidon

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2007
Coralville, IA
There are suspicions about Clemans as well and what he might have been taking.

Sure - because given what we know now, we all (rightfully) are very suspicious about anyone who makes the sort of the late-career surge that Clemens has.

However, Clemens and Bonds are on two opposite ends of the spectrum here. While we have everything up to, and including, Bond's admission that he took steroids (or Flax-seed labeled steroids), there's not even circumstantial evidence that Clemens has done anything wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.