Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
So, It started off interesting, like a Mac comercial. Any body else see it?

kildraik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 7, 2006
It's the "Hello" commercial just 2 mins back...

No, it was shown in the auditorium... right before Elen went on. It was a bunch of actors, directors and other people involved in making films talking about the event.

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
No, it was shown in the auditorium... right before Elen went on. It was a bunch of actors, directors and other people involved in making films talking about the event.

really? I thought you were talking about the iPhone commercial... :confused:

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Its allways puzzled me why we put such importance to professional liars? We prop up these people as if they are the most important thing to the human race. We should be showing this type of interest to the Astronauts,Teachers,Scientist,Engineers,Peace Makers etc etc. Instead we worship........the best liars and the ones that can pull it off in front of a camera. Dont get it, Never will.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
All I know is that I hardly ever watch but I like Ellen a lot. With that said, she said two things that I think will be picked apart. The little bit about American's being great seat fillers (you had to see the whole thing to think there may be something to pick apart there) and then the "if it wasn't for Blacks, Jews, and Gays there would be no Oscars." I'm sure someone will take issue with that.

Overall since I hardly watch and I'm just watching it while doing homework, it's ok. I do not invest much time in making a point to watch.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I think Ellen is doing a good job. As for the movies themselves well nothing will beat the classics.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Celine Dion was great. I'm not some huge fan or anything, but I loved hearing her sing. It is a reminder to many why she is who she is you know.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Who else finds it rediculous that Happy Feet beat Cars?
Cars = gas guzzling race cars contributing to global warming
Happy Feet = save the penguins, stop overfishing in Antarctic waters

I've seen all three nominees and it was a hard decision between Cars and Happy Feet, but it just wasn't Pixar's year and I liked Happy Feet more. How do you begin writing a plot where a toe-tapping penguin can save his species? Genius! :)

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I didn't get to see it but i just read the winners and a hearty congrats to Martin Scorese. His Oscar was well deserved Every movie he's made since Goodfellas was terrible, maybe not terrible, that's kinda harsh, but just not great. Forgetable, IMHO. I think The Departed was the best flick of the year. I would like to have seen Babel win something as well. I think the directors out of Spain and Mexico are the bar of filmaking these days, but their time will come.

iAlan

macrumors 65816
Dec 11, 2002
[SNIP]I think The Departed was the best flick of the year.[/SNIP].

Sorry to disagree but The Departed, in my opinion, was not 'the best flick' in 2006 - it was a rather boring and drawn out adaptation of a more original Hong Kong movie trilogy 'Internal Affairs'. I don't know how this 're-take' on a brilliant set of films won over 'Babel' or 'Iwa Jima' other than the Academy's sometime trend of awarding Oscars to a member who have been nominated in the past but has yet to win -- I agree Scorsese is a brilliant director, but not for The Departed. I think because he didn't win in the past for some of Hollywood’s classic Scorsese movies (particularly 'Raging Bull' and 'Goodfellas') he got it this time as a 'thanks for all the brilliant stuff you have done in your career -- here is an Oscar in case you don't make another nominated movie that could in all fairness be considered a real winner'

Sorry for the sour grapes -- you would think I lost out to him or something -- but I do not think the Oscars are consistent in rewarding those who do in fact give the best in a given year.

BTW, how many posters here knew The Departed was based on the Hong Kong trilogy 'Internal Affairs'?

EDIT x2

Essentially, the Academy gave Scorsese the Best Director Oscar as a makeup of him not winning for Goodfellas and Raging Bull 16 and 26 years ago.

Agreed

[SNIP]Supposidely, they're working on a sequel, which, IMO, like most sequels, won't be as good as the first. [/SNIP]

The Departed is already 3 movies in one -- I don't see how they can make another one (especially given the ending)?

And the only original element in The Departed was Mark Warlbergs character

carbonmotion

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2004
San Francisco, CA
Martin Scorsese has no talent

A few years ago, I saw a Hong Kong action film called Infernal Affairs. A year ago I heard that Scorsese was directing a movie based on an americanized version of Infernal Affairs. I was kinda excited when I went to see the Departed but as I left the theater I was utterly disgusted. The Departed was a scene by scene copy of the Chinese master piece. There were no innovation, just replication... and what came out was an inferior version of the original. Good lord they even translated some of the Chinese jokes from the hong kong version in to English... except out side of the Chinese cultural context, the jokes aren't funny. To give this talentless baffoon an Oscar is a disgrace.

Infernal Affairs > The Departed

God forbid, Scorsese even screwed up the philosophy of the original by making it a happy/ just ending.

Wow, I'm so angry right now it's ridiculous.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I watched The Departed last night. It was good, not great, but good. It seemed way too long and dragged on.

Supposidely, they're working on a sequel, which, IMO, like most sequels, won't be as good as the first. SPOLERS.....highlight below:
And.....I have no idea how they plan on doing a sequel considering that all of the main characters are dead. Seems like he's just trying to milk it for all its worth.

And Borat didn't win anything? :eek:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I liked both Babel and Little Miss Sunshine better than The Departed, even though I was pretty sure that The Departed would win Best Picture.

Did Scorsese win based on past work or did the Academy voters really think he was best this year? I suspect that some of it was for past work.

I'm really surprised that none of the Dreamgirls songs won, and that movie had 3 chances!

Ellen did a good job, although nobody seemed to like her Gilligan's Island jokes.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
That Oscar is just a belated response to "Goodfellas" which was shockingly overlooked at the time. The Departed was fairly average, I thought, for a Scorsese film.

It's no big deal. These things mean more to those in the industry... it will all be forgotten about in a few weeks time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.