Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

airbourne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2005
ok whenever i try to download anything off the internet like off mac.com or apple.com once it downloads, it comes up on my desktop in excel format. i downloaded the new stuffit too so im not sure whats going on.... can anyone help?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
airbourne said:
ok whenever i try to download anything off the internet like off mac.com or apple.com once it downloads, it comes up on my desktop in excel format. i downloaded the new stuffit too so im not sure whats going on.... can anyone help?

What browser are you using? If IE, you may want to check this thread https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/149462/

As a workaround, you can always change the file extension on the file from .xls to .sit (assuming you're working with a zipped file).

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
IE might very well be the problem.

Try using Safari (if you're using OS X.1 or later). Otherwise, use IE to download Firefox. I don't remember what the extension on that download will be, but I think changing the extension to a .sit will work (if it shows up as an Excel file). You can then successfully pursue all kinds of downloads by using Firefox instead of IE.

But, if you already have Safari, by all means, just use Safari!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.