Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
so, with the xp on mac developing so quickly, would it be safe to get a macbook for college? most campuses are not os-bias anymore, but engineering departments sometimes are. i think its mainly because of autocad, but it could also be other software they run. assuming the graphics drivers are found and the process is refined, would a macbook running xp be an option? why not?
im specifically looking at Virginia Tech's computer reqs, and i can get the site of hardware/software later. has anyone run autocad or the like on one of these setups?
then again, i have another year, till 2007, so im still holding out on a purchase. i know no one can play the dates, but what would be in the pipeline by then in the way of xp/vista on the mac? complete native, side-by-side, with no dual-boot?

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Vista won't even be ready by 2007.

XP will probably never run native. Unless Apple includes it in Leopard (see this rumor), it will remain an unstable hack.

If you have a backup plan, I think you'll be fine with a Mac.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2002
autocad runs just fine. it is an effiencient program and even in 3d is not video card intensive.

i also use rhino, a 3d modeling program, and i've opened up 80 mg files and it's still quite fine, a little choppy but not disorienting nor frustrating. i was surprised!

r.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
well the project looks very promising so far, and by the time i end up getting a laptop in late 2007 (hopefully the macbook pro will be at least gen b or c) hopefully there should be no issue with compatability with my schools program
now if i can just focus on getting into a school like VT

sugarkane

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2006
bondi beach
dferrara said:
Vista won't even be ready by 2007.

XP will probably never run native. Unless Apple includes it in Leopard (see this rumor), it will remain an unstable hack.

If you have a backup plan, I think you'll be fine with a Mac.

some of the drivers are not working but the "hack" is really quite stable!
xp on the 2.16 MBP has been bench marked running photo shop scripts fasta than any windows laptop avaible right now!!

other than the few driver issues xp thinks it's running on a pc!

sk

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.