Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Ive been a switcher for a while (years). Before that I was a hard and fast Windows user and still have to be because of my job. I love Apple's products in general but I've had it up to , well , I'm at the point where I want to give up. So I am asking , begging , pleading for help...

Printers.. Before you ask I have read EVERY THREAD I could find on MR as well as other sites and none has helped.

Its an HP 1000 LaserJet. Shared on an XP machine. Every computer but my Mac connects to it just fine.

When I add it through the printer config panel thingy it sees the network , the computer its on and the printer just fine. It gets added just fine. I see there are no drivers available which is strike 1. It seemed to be a permissions issue as it says "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" . So I research this. Find out the problem. It needs the guest accoutn enabled or I have to let my iBook know the username and password of a user on that machine that has permissions to print. Ok that error is gone...

I see the print job hit the spooler, send it 'somewhere' but never gets printed. I have tried every printer under the sunand looked at every site that suggests like model printers to use in place of this one.

I know I am going from apple to windows. I know it may present some problems but geeeeeeeeezz . This is supposed to be easy. Ive had less problems printing from Linux. This is not meant to be a shot at Apple. I want it to be simple like it is on Windows. I have already pulled my iTunes library off of my iBook. I am at the end. Please save me!!!

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Arcus said:
Ive been a switcher for a while (years). Before that I was a hard and fast Windows user and still have to be because of my job. I love Apple's products in general but I've had it up to , well , I'm at the point where I want to give up. So I am asking , begging , pleading for help...

Printers.. Before you ask I have read EVERY THREAD I could find on MR as well as other sites and none has helped.

Its an HP 1000 LaserJet. Shared on an XP machine. Every computer but my Mac connects to it just fine.

When I add it through the printer config panel thingy it sees the network , the computer its on and the printer just fine. It gets added just fine. I see there are no drivers available which is strike 1. It seemed to be a permissions issue as it says "NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED" . So I research this. Find out the problem. It needs the guest accoutn enabled or I have to let my iBook know the username and password of a user on that machine that has permissions to print. Ok that error is gone...

I see the print job hit the spooler, send it 'somewhere' but never gets printed. I have tried every printer under the sunand looked at every site that suggests like model printers to use in place of this one.

I know I am going from apple to windows. I know it may present some problems but geeeeeeeeezz . This is supposed to be easy. Ive had less problems printing from Linux. This is not meant to be a shot at Apple. I want it to be simple like it is on Windows. I have already pulled my iTunes library off of my iBook. I am at the end. Please save me!!!

are you using a guest account? do the guest account have permission to use the printer?

TreeHugger

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
not sure if this would help, but can you use the bonjour networking technology for windows with the mac?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
So, what printer driver do you have on the Apple to send the print job to the HP LJ 1000?

It's a Windows only printer. It's not Postscript, and it requires a Windows GDM driver if I remember correctly.

The fact that you can connect to the print *server* via the network doesn't have a bearing on the fact that you still need to send the correct data to the printer through a print driver.

The *NIX heads here may be able to help you get this running through a LPR approach, but it's never going to be a Mac OS compatible printer.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
Not using a guest account. Im using the admin account.

I can connect to the printer. It sees it fine. It sees the computer it is on fine. It appears and I can add it to the pronters list fine. I see the print job go to the printer and it disappears.

"It's a Windows only printer. It's not Postscript, and it requires a Windows GDM driver if I remember correctly."

Ok that might be my answer, I dont like it but it might be.

As far as buying a print server, I am never opposed to buying a tool to do the job but the computer it is hooked to should be able to act in place of a hardware IP based server just fine.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
CanadaRAM said:
So, what printer driver do you have on the Apple to send the print job to the HP LJ 1000?

It's a Windows only printer. It's not Postscript, and it requires a Windows GDM driver if I remember correctly.

The fact that you can connect to the print *server* via the network doesn't have a bearing on the fact that you still need to send the correct data to the printer through a print driver.

The *NIX heads here may be able to help you get this running through a LPR approach, but it's never going to be a Mac OS compatible printer.

Oh yeah, CanadaRAM is right. i think that is why i got a 1200 hp the frist place :)

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
Arcus said:
Not using a guest account. Im using the admin account.

I can connect to the printer. It sees it fine. It sees the computer it is on fine. It appears and I can add it to the pronters list fine. I see the print job go to the printer and it disappears.

"It's a Windows only printer. It's not Postscript, and it requires a Windows GDM driver if I remember correctly."

Ok that might be my answer, I dont like it but it might be.

As far as buying a print server, I am never opposed to buying a tool to do the job but the computer it is hooked to should be able to act in place of a hardware IP based server just fine.

Oooo, admin... not such a great idea...

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
some printers are pc only as CanadaRam said..

best printers to use on macs in my years around them are canon and epson. many hp printers do work on mac but not all of them. in the os9 days hp printers worked great on macs but these days not so much it seems.

buy a cheap canon or epson. I got a great mid-range canon photo printer for only 99$.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
When I say admin account I mean that when my iBook asks me for the user name and password of the account to use to print under thats what I use. There is only one user on that computer anyway. Me. It is the admin account.

So its a windows only printer. Well that stinks. Guess its not apples fault. Guess its not HP or Microsofts fault either. It's just the way it is. *sigh*

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
sounds like a printer is going on ebay?

A bunch of printers will work with mac, even if you can't find it on the box, do a quick search on manuf site for a driver, this one sounds done-just future looking. Don't forget, some printers don't work with win 98/millenium/2000 ect...so don't feel too left out.

Reminds me to search threads for a good all-in-one.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
What about CUPS? I used it for my OfficeJet T45, which was otherwise incompatible with my Mac, and it worked great.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Arcus said:

Until you shutdown the computer that its connected to. A print server is always on and provides much more flexibility when sharing printers, such as not having to have it in the same room.

Anyways. A quick google search yeilded this driver...Have you tried it?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004061623340681

JonMaker

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
here.
CanadaRAM said:

You don't remember correctly. I can directly connect an iBook G3 to a LaserJet 1000 or 1200 (both via USB), and it will work flawlessly.

I would, however, suggest trying:
1. hooking the offending printer directly to the Mac.
2. trying a 3rd party hardware print server or AirPort Express.

Best of luck.

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 28, 2004
kingjr3 said:
Until you shutdown the computer that its connected to. A print server is always on and provides much more flexibility when sharing printers, such as not having to have it in the same room.

Anyways. A quick google search yeilded this driver...Have you tried it?

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2004061623340681

Funny thing is ,on that page he says he was ablt to do what I am trying to do and expeted to work with out alot of hassle.

"I was ultimately able to print through the network by attaching the laserjet to a pc and printing to a windows shared printer through SAMBA, but this was neither acceptable nor elegant"

I give. This is Waaaaay harder than it should be.
Thanks for the help guys.

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
Newbie with a question

Hello -

this isn't directly relevant to this thread, but it's about a printer, so I thought I'd put it here instead of starting a new thread....

I'm getting my first mac soon - how do I tell if my printer is compatible or not (it's an older HP, so I'm guessing maybe not?) Does anyone know of a list on the web somewhere?

Thanks,
iRachel

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
How old is old?

If it has USB then you (may) be in luck! Simply go here to get info on whether there is a mac driver! Most printers nowadays have drivers, and if not there are always solutions out there such as Gimp Print etc.

I recently purchased an Epson C66, suddenly realized they were not in fact Mac compatible, blasted a few hours away on the internet and found Gimp Print as a solution.

dsatterfield

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2004
Mac to Win XP box Printing

Gentle Folks. There is another issue that may be going on here that no one seems to have mentioned. XP does not support Appletalk file/print sharing with Macs.

Also. Which HP PCL Driver are you using? Have you tried going back to 5.1 or so? When I did support at HP, 6.x drivers were notoriously buggy.

Thanks

yarngrrl

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2005
Madison, WI
mms said:
America's dairyland = Wisconsin, no?

Well, yes, and no. While "America's Dairyland" usually connotates Wisconsin, that's what it says on our license plates after all, California actually produces more milk in volume due to some underhanded subsidies the US government gave to California farmers and the totally f'd up Eau Claire milk compacts. (Basically, the further you are from Eau Claire, WI, the more you get for your milk.) However, I believe the Badger State still produces the most cheese (which is where most Wisconsin milk ends up these days, thanks to refrigerated hauling). A minor, and maybe trivial point, but still worth clarifying. (Any time you want to know anything about the great land of cheese, brats and beer, I'm your gal! Which, I'm sure is quite frequently :rolleyes: )

iRachel

macrumors 6502a
America's "Dairyland"

Well, I'm in Wisconsin, and this is the saying on our license plates, but I know California likes to claim this title as well.

Oh, and I want an apple store in Madison. The back corner in the compusa doesn't count. :rolleyes:

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
dsatterfield said:

Gentle Folks. There is another issue that may be going on here that no one seems to have mentioned. XP does not support Appletalk file/print sharing with Macs.

Also. Which HP PCL Driver are you using? Have you tried going back to 5.1 or so? When I did support at HP, 6.x drivers were notoriously buggy.

Thanks

Who said he was using Appletalk? He is able to connect to the print server and log on. The Printer certainly isn't Appletalk. HP doesn't offer a Mac driver on their site for this machine, unlike other LaserJets.

Arcus, I assume when you added the print server with Printer Setup, you chose IP printer not Appletalk printer? Can you verify?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.