Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
I ordered mine on Jan. 12th with an estimated shipping date of Febuary 15th, I just called a sales rep today to said it would ship "on or before the 15th of Feb."

C.J Mac

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this site, but I do have the same interests as you do. I
am a student attending a school in the field of music. I have ordered me
a MacBook Pro, in fact I have 2 orders. Not buying 2 but I had made an
order on the 12th of January which contained the MacBook Pro (1.67 Ghz)
& the 3 year apple plan. Now after speaking with a teacher at the school
I will need to use Office in the semester so I placed another order I as I
cannot get the rebate unless they are both on the same order. So I placed
annother order on the 25th of Jan. Both are active accounts.
(They must think that I’m a spoiled little rich kid. lol).

I can get Office from another sourse but obviuosly it will not be a licsenced
copy.

My question is whether it will take longer to receive based on the time of
the order. I need this badboy ASAP as school starts in early March.

What would you suggest doing? Would it make a difference in shipping
date?

Let me know what you think?

THanks

C.J

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
So you have two orders - one for a MBP, and one for a MBP with Office? I don't see why the second order wouldn't ship in time for an "early March" deadline. I'd cancel the first order.

C.J Mac

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
Hey everyone,

New to the site. I got mine ordered. Anyone have ship dates for Canada?
Starting school in early March, Apple please come through!!!!!!!!

C.J

Yup. Still have two orders. I want it as early as possible. This is my first
Mac Laptop, so I want to get familiar with it before starting classes.

Do you think they both would ship at the same time? I am wondering if the
January order date would be shipped with the Feb. 15th batch?

What do you think?

Would you consider unliscenced Office on a new Mac, Hmmm not sure
what to do. I’m sure there are newer features on Office 2004 than on
2000. But I would go with ship dates, if I had to base it on decision.

C.J

johnnybluejeans

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
New York, NY
Honestly, I don't expect Apple to make their shipping this month. I think they overestimated their ability to get the battery finalized. If they do ship this month, I'd expect poor battery life in the new MacBooks.

Bitteroot

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2006
Microsoft Campus Agreement

Would you consider unliscenced Office on a new Mac, Hmmm not sure
what to do. I’m sure there are newer features on Office 2004 than on 2000. But I would go with ship dates, if I had to base it on decision.

You should look to see if your College or University has a Microsoft Campus Agreement. Check with your bookstore or school IT. If a Microsoft Campus Agreement exists, then you can get Office for free. More schools have this that people realize. Hopefully, your school will as well.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Applespider said:
Or, more likely, for the UK orders to slip...

According to my reseller the orders will proabably slip to end of Feb. His reasoning was that he was at an Apple conference at the end of last week and even then none of them were allowed to get their hands on the sample MBP. If they haven't got a machine at the end of last week that they want people to use then they can't have a machine ready to ship.. I mean we're talking thousands of initial orders..

My only doubt as to the wisdom of this comment is that Apple let people play with them at the Expo in Jan, so why not their resellers.

One other quick question: did no-one think to pull out the power lead on an MBP and see what it estimated the battery life to be? This has puzzled me for weeks now... what did Apple do to prevent this?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
jacobj said:
According to my reseller the orders will proabably slip to end of Feb. His reasoning was that he was at an Apple conference at the end of last week and even then none of them were allowed to get their hands on the sample MBP. If they haven't got a machine at the end of last week that they want people to use then they can't have a machine ready to ship.. I mean we're talking thousands of initial orders..

My only doubt as to the wisdom of this comment is that Apple let people play with them at the Expo in Jan, so why not their resellers.

One other quick question: did no-one think to pull out the power lead on an MBP and see what it estimated the battery life to be? This has puzzled me for weeks now... what did Apple do to prevent this?

Yes, people did try this. It's old news. The machines at MacWorld were pre-production so the battery life is not likely to be accurate on them.

Wes Jordan

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2006
Yes, and the battery life read 3:30. It has been said it will be about the same as the G4 Powerbook.

Koodauw

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2003
Madison
Well mine doesn't ship till February 28th. Thats what I get for joining the party late though. I'm envious of all you with a ship date of the 15th.

elbirth

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
North Carolina, US
Has anyone seen any in the Apple Stores? A guy I know in New York said his local Apple Store had one on display... he's the kind of guy that pays very close attention to detail, so I would imagine it actually did say "MacBook Pro" below the screen for him to mention it (unless he's playing a horrible joke on me).....

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
elbirth said:
Has anyone seen any in the Apple Stores? A guy I know in New York said his local Apple Store had one on display... he's the kind of guy that pays very close attention to detail, so I would imagine it actually did say "MacBook Pro" below the screen for him to mention it (unless he's playing a horrible joke on me).....

All my local stores said Mid-Feb for display models.

I even made a couple calls to the big stores in NYC (SoHo) and LA (The Grove) to see what they would say, and it was the same.

C.J Mac

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2006
Thanks for your reply Bitteroot. Sorry for not responding earlier.

I have decided to buy the Office 2004 Student / Teacher Edition. I already
made the order so I thought I might not be so bad to have anyways.

I am just dying to get this laptop in my hand I can't wait another day! lol

Thank you very much for your reply, as I did talk to my regarding this issue
and I will look into other software through them when I need it.

Much appreciated

C.J:)

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
C.J Mac said:
I have decided to buy the Office 2004 Student / Teacher Edition. I already made the order so I thought I might not be so bad to have anyways.

C.J:)

The Student/Teacher edition supplies 3 keys specifically for installing on up to 3 machines /YOU/ own. This was great for me, since I had both a Pismo and 8600 running it without having to even bend the EULA rules. If you already have a machine, and want 2004 on both, the Student/Teacher edition was a great choice. :)

As for the campus agreements, many who don't have 'free' software packages will at least include cheap software packages. A friend who goes to UW in Seattle got Office for the Mac for 8$. So definitely look into your campus' store and see what you can get. It might save you tons. Unfortunately, my campus only gives Windows-based packages out for free, so I had to pay full price for Office.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.