Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

You don't want to buy 1000 day old hardware so you will:

• continue waiting, it's only another 3-9 months or more.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • build a Hackintosh.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • get a windows workstation and move on with your life.

Votes: 44 47.3%

• Total voters

jeff7117

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 22, 2009
So Apple either crushed your spirit today, or you already knew it was coming. That being said, what are you gonna do?

JLOAKS

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2016
I already had a feeling Mac Pros wouldn't be touched today. But I was shocked that absolutely no desktop Mac products were even mentioned. No Mac Mini, no iMac, it really was the most lackluster keynote we've ever had.

I will hold onto whatever hope I have left in the November upgrade rumor, but honestly see myself purchasing a refurbished/used Mac Pro within the coming months.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I already had a feeling Mac Pros wouldn't be touched today. But I was shocked that absolutely no desktop Mac products were even mentioned. No Mac Mini, no iMac, it really was the most lackluster keynote we've ever had.

My thoughts exactly.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Thanks to Apple...they couraged me to get 840 series....but since I have 5,1..I'll gonna have to stay their till I get premiere ready. Learning stage at the moment.

Reactions: CSeye and 44267547

rotorblade69

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2006
North West Georgia
As i have said wait till first of the year if we haven't even had a "kiss my ass, piss off, go to hell, **** and go blind from Apple" or a really good rumor from a trusted source then tell apple to GO TO HELL!!!!!!

AS for me Jan 1 2017 new Microsoft Surface Studio, if Apple hasn't pulled a rabbit out of the hat.

ITguy2016

Suspended
May 25, 2016
As i have said wait till first of the year if we haven't even had a "kiss my ass, piss off, go to hell, **** and go blind from Apple" or a really good rumor from a trusted source then tell apple to GO TO HELL!!!!!!

AS for me Jan 1 2017 new Microsoft Surface Studio, if Apple hasn't pulled a rabbit out of the hat.
First it was wait for WWDC (June 2016). Then it was the September 2016 event. Then it was the October (today's) event. Some are saying wait until the November event. Meanwhile you're saying wait until the January 2017 event.

Some people are true believers.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Need an option for "built a hackintosh years ago, you guys are late to the party, but welcome, the bar is over there." ;)

Also, boy is it fast. Mine is only a quad core, but when it's water-cooled and running at 4.3 GHz, those cores are quite fast. You've got way more video card options and usually someone else has already tested compatibility. And Clover makes updating incremental easy—the worst is usually installing audio drivers. It takes a restart—big deal. Often I don't even bother since I have USB-based audio devices that automatically work.

Sierra gave me a slight issue, but I fixed it quickly. As long as you backup and update between gigs, it's rock-solid. Mine is even built into the old aluminum MP case. I've got 2 27" Cinema Displays connected, the wired keyboard and new Magic Mouse. Might build with Xeons next time too since I didn't need sleep functionality like I thought I would. And I also had USB3 before most Macs did. And if you have an issue, the community is vibrant and helpful.

It's a great option if you need power and can't stand using Windows (and can't use Linux). It's worth a shot. I think it cost me $1300 to build this beast initially including the case. And the last I checked it was faster than the "current" MacPros in most tasks. I've made back my money a couple hundred times over. I can't recommend it to anyone enough if they can tinker (very slightly). 99% of the battle is building and initial install (and there are step-by-step guides). After that, in about three years, I might've lost two days to fixing things and most of that was iMessage (so inconsequential if you need to work).

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
I am not in the market as of today, so I will be giving the answer when the right time will come, because I will value what is on the market.

If I was on the market right now, I would probably consider the switch, there's nothing that makes me want the new MBP (at that price), and Windows 10 realli did some good steps in the right direction.

It wouldn't be an easy decision, but I would definetly consider the transition.

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
I don't plan to jump off yet my 09 Mac pro works just fine but I feel for those who want a new trash can, dumpster or whatever a new Mac pro would be. did the windows thing in the 90's not something I would go back to to many issues.

Reactions: zync

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
What are the chances of Apple releasing a refresh for the Pro in March or late summer like they did traditionally prior to the 2nd generation Pro? Though it makes you wonder what the starting MSRP will be...

telequest

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
NJ
Voted "waiting" simply because my existing 5,1 rig is getting the job done (video editing and graphics). But whenever the need arises to replace or upgrade beyond what I'm able to pack into it, I will definitely look more broadly than just Apple's offerings at that point. I'm hoping that by then, Apple will be providing an up-to-date and worthy pro offering. But not counting on it (which is a change from my 2 decades of full reliance on Apple hardware).

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Hackintosh, however, just treat able to run macOS as a bonus, won't rely on that.
You do you, but mine has been just as reliable as all of my actual Macs and it gets used more since it's my work machine.
[doublepost=1477665368][/doublepost]
What are the chances of Apple releasing a refresh for the Pro in March or late summer like they did traditionally prior to the 2nd generation Pro? Though it makes you wonder what the starting MSRP will be...
I don't know when, but I still see them making a new Mac Pro. I think they would be smart to go back to an older setup where you can more easily swap components.

They'd never do it, but if you could basically buy a mobo from Apple and hook up your own components (from a list of approved items) they'd kill it.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
You do you, but mine has been just as reliable as all of my actual Macs and it gets used more since it's my work machine.

Of course that's the best outcome. But after discuss from other Hackintosh users, I only have less than 50% confidence that I can build a 100% trouble free Hackintosh. I don't expect to face any serious problem (if I pick the parts correctly). However, I do expect some minor annoying issues from Handoff, Message, Sound driver...

Reactions: mrxak

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Voted "waiting" simply because my existing 5,1 rig is getting the job done (video editing and graphics).

This. I don't understand people's frustration so much. I originally built my hack when it was between spending $5K and spending under 2K for similar performance, and I wanted the older form factor case rather than the trash can.

I've seen a lot of editors complaining about this and that. I understand that not knowing the pipeline blows (it's such a terrible idea for the pro market). I also understand not wanting to buy a new workstation with old hardware. But what I don't get is how you NEED an upgrade if you have any of the last few MPs. None of those are too slow for editing, especially with modern formats. One of my friends shooting on Weapon still has that 12-core MP from like 2009.

I've cut 6K RED no problem on my 2015 MBP. And my own Raven footage is even easier. I'm sure someone has a need out there for more power, but generally editing isn't THAT demanding. Now, try to animate in 4K and it gets substantially more difficult. And then make 3D renders in 4K and you can take a lot more naps. If you're a graphics person, or you're coloring and want a faster machine, I TOTALLY get you. But I really don't understand editors' complaints. Maybe there's something I'm missing. I didn't really see the frustration with Apple when they switched to FCPX either. Sure it was different and killed the upgrade path, but as I surmised at the time people still used 7 forever after that because, though buggy, it was still fine. (and yes, I totally understand that Premiere ended up working out a lot better with it's dealing with formats, and that's what I use when I have to edit something).

Anyway, I feel like often what people "need" is really just what they want rather than an actual need. It's not like a new MP comes out and instantly what you had been working with no longer works anymore.

/just my very humble but outspoken opinion

MacStu09

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
This. I don't understand people's frustration so much. I originally built my hack when it was between spending $5K and spending under 2K for similar performance, and I wanted the older form factor case rather than the trash can...

I completely understand most of your points, and they do make sense. Cutting/editing alone does not require much. But, at least it seems like, most people who have the Mac Pro are closer to one-man bands. Or they at least want the ability to learn new things. Because you're right in what it takes to edit, and if you bought a Mac Pro just for cutting footage, you wasted your money. There are so many cheaper, simpler options for editing video. But in modern video, it's becoming almost a requirement to understand at least basic grading. The 2015 MBP falls short horribly in grading and 3D rendering (even 1080p), as does the iMac with its incredibly poor mobile graphics.

If people were just editing on a Mac Pro, you'd be right 100%. There's no need for any new ones. Even a 2008 will edit perfectly fine. But if you grade and do any sort of 3D project, the need is becoming more substantiated to upgrade from an old machine and have support for the latest cards.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
Of course that's the best outcome. But after discuss from other Hackintosh users, I only have less than 50% confidence that I can build a 100% trouble free Hackintosh. I don't expect to face any serious problem (if I pick the parts correctly). However, I do expect some minor annoying issues from Handoff, Message, Sound driver...

I had some annoyances with iMessage back in the day—as I said before that was really the only thing I really spent time on. I ended up using the hardware ID of my oldest MBP when they switched up how the service ran. From what I've heard, it's gone back to being easy again. My stuff works so I don't want to mess with it, but I have considered looking into it and switching to an ID not attached to an actual system.

My studio mate also runs a hackintosh and our render farm is comprised of his older hacks, so if something happens we can work things out together. Our systems are similar, but present different issues sometimes. Right now I'm on the latest and greatest OS and he's back a version.

I haven't dealt with handoff much. I don't really use it. I've seen it work before on this machine but it might be spotty, I don't know. It's not really work-related for me so I can't totally attest to that. I can message and take calls out of this machine. Sound is simple. I originally had a setup through Chameleon and Multibeast. Now that I'm on Clover, I baked in a lot of the changes I had to add with upgrades (like Trim support). But I always had to use Multibeast to get audio back up when I needed the other ports (like my front audio port that we soldered to the original). So I ended up going through the Multibeast app package, and grabbed out audio and ethernet installers so I didn't have to bother remembering which ones worked. Usually ethernet is completely fine. The only one that get's overwritten so much is audio, maybe the FakePCIID kexts. So I usually just use the machine and if something is amiss, I install those over. Honestly the PCIID kexts I usually only have to install for major versions and even then I think it's only out of precautions. You can put them right into your Clover setup too I believe. I just haven't. And installing them is a matter of opening up Kext Utility and dragging them onto it and waiting a minute. It's all really no big deal. It sounds way worse than it is.

Honestly, if you want to be super solid, get a USB audio solution. They tend to work right out of the box. I've been doing some tutorials for AE and I use a blue Nessie, and it works for my headphones too (because I used the original port on my hack for a clean appearance rather than swapping it there's a phase issue with the sensing on that port IIRC so I don't use it much because of how you have to have the audio set). I haven't brought my 5.1 system out since switching to this setup, but I might just get a USB breakout for that.

When I upgraded to Sierra, I couldn't get the install to work on my older Clover version, so I upgraded that. It then worked fine. I had to install ethernet and audio (double clicking an installer package) when it booted and I dragged the kexts onto Kext Utility for good measure. I had to reinstall the nVidia web drivers and got a black screen issue on restart. On a whim, I booted up off of my backup drive's clover, back into the new drive's Sierra, so I could mess with configuration of Clover (basically ticking a checkbox that would've likely solved the problem) but I noticed there was a newer OS update, so I figured I might as well upgrade all the way if I might have to roll back. When it rebooted, ethernet and everything still worked (usually point upgrades are super easy) there was a new nVidia web driver so I installed, booted back off of the main drive and everything has been completely fine since. It sounds like a long time and a lot of work when you read it, but including the OS install and updating Clover, it probably took me an hour. Maybe even less. And that's probably the second hardest update I've had. I didn't even solicit help from my studio mate.

So while YMMV, it's really not that difficult. In the past, granted it was more than a decade ago, I've had to tinker more with supported Windows hardware. ;)

No matter what road you take, good luck to you.
[doublepost=1477668115][/doublepost]
I completely understand most of your points, and they do make sense. Cutting/editing alone does not require much. But, at least it seems like, most people who have the Mac Pro are closer to one-man bands. Or they at least want the ability to learn new things. Because you're right in what it takes to edit, and if you bought a Mac Pro just for cutting footage, you wasted your money. There are so many cheaper, simpler options for editing video. But in modern video, it's becoming almost a requirement to understand at least basic grading. The 2015 MBP falls short horribly in grading and 3D rendering (even 1080p), as does the iMac with its incredibly poor mobile graphics.

If people were just editing on a Mac Pro, you'd be right 100%. There's no need for any new ones. Even a 2008 will edit perfectly fine. But if you grade and do any sort of 3D project, the need is becoming more substantiated to upgrade from an old machine and have support for the latest cards.

Totally! I just feel like I've seen a lot of Editors with a capital E complaining about it. Editors that were fine with FCP 7 with all of its bugs. If you could deal with and love that old pile, you can deal with a few seconds longer transcodes, haha. Maybe I'm wrong about that. Maybe they were more one-man-bands.

But yes, my MBP doesn't like Davinci, although more recent versions seemed ok but I've mostly only used it on this hackintosh recently. But I can definitely attest to that. I've done C4D on it, but it's not super enjoyable. AE is ok for simple stuff. It's odd what it has trouble with, but that's also the nature of AE. Things that seem simple take forever, and things that are complex are sometimes fast.

Anyway, yes, my comment was to specifically people that are doing 90% of their work in an NLE.

Last edited:
Reactions: h9826790

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I've been on a Hack for 5 years now as my primary machine - never went nMP or iMac as the form factor/upgrade/expansion issues were not to my liking, and I wanted GPU upgrades from NVIDIA as I went along.

If you pick the correct MoBo / GPU (which is super easy now), literally every thing can work with no issues.

iMessage, Facetime, Continuity, Handoff...USB3..audio - All the stuff you hear about - Everything just works on my machine.

The main drawback? Major updates (not point releases) can possibly create issues, but haven't for me in the past. Usually just reinstalling an audio driver or the like.

The update stuff never bothers me anyhow, as I much prefer to be on a slower update cycle on my Mac (Hack). For instance, I'm still on ElCap and see no reason to even bother with Sierra for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: zync and brandonwc1

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
Missing option: Building a Linux workstation.

But I won't be doing that for 3-4 months anyway. If Apple does come out with a Mac Pro I like before then, I may stick with Mac for another round.

May I ask, because I really don't know, if you have reliable software alternatives available for Linux?

Is there anything like Photoshop, Lightroom, InDesign, Illustrator, MSOffice having similar capabilities?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.