Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vniow

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jul 18, 2002
I accidentally my whole location.
Some say it's an art. Others say it's a sin. But nobody can say tattooing is illegal in Oklahoma after Wednesday, when the state becomes the very last to permit it.

The moral tangle is over. The win goes to lawmakers who argued that tattooing is inevitable, so it may as well be regulated for safety.

The win is also claimed by the state's tattoo artists, who can now ink most anyone 18 and older without fear of handcuffs and fines.

The law that passed after much foot-dragging has earned praise and criticism, but either way, it has an effect.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/NewsStory.asp?ID=061030_Ne_A1_Tatto28789

My sister's going to be happy. :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
wow. i wouldn't have thought that it would be illegal anywhere.

Ever been to South Carolina?

Regular liquor bottles are illegal. All the bars have these giant shelves of tiny airplane bottles. It's freaking weird.

EDIT: Apparently since Jan 1, 2006, they can finally use any size liquor bottle they want. Welcome to the modern era, SC. Shows how often I get to my southern neighbor.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004

Regular liquor bottles are illegal. All the bars have these giant shelves of tiny airplane bottles. It's freaking weird.

EDIT: Apparently since Jan 1, 2006, they can finally use any size liquor bottle they want. Welcome to the modern era, SC. Shows how often I get to my southern neighbor.

weird laws all over the place. i mean i know some towns and such don't allow it, for example the small town where i went to college didn't allow any tattoo parlors, but its not like the state outlawed it.

Mr. Durden

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2005
Colorado

WHAT!? I grew up in SC and I dont remember the bars having to use the tiny 'lil bottles... Not saying your wrong, just saying I dont remember that being the case. And I'm positive they have plenty of regular liquor stores. Its the south where rednecks and pickups run free... of course there are liquor stores.

I do remember that way back in the day, the liquor stores couldnt have a sign saying "liquor" or "alcohol". So the universal sign for liquor stores was a big red circle. If you saw a big red circle on the building or on a sign, you knew they sold alcohol. A little weird, but kinda cool too, in a quaint kind of way.

mleary

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2006
Tatooing has only been legal in MA for a few years... There are tatoo shops all over Boston now but before that everyone drove up to NH.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
The win goes to lawmakers who argued that tattooing is inevitable, so it may as well be regulated for safety.

Did anyone find this rather odd?

Yes it's a perfectly clear reason, but going this route, you could argue for the legalisation and taxation of pot, which while supported by many people, isn't a favourite of the lawmakers.

Taking it even further, and playing devil's advocate, could murder be legalised and (highly) taxed as well? (in addition to the legalised murder carried out by people in the armed forces).

You could argue it's also an inevitable facet of USA life.

Am tattooing myself with asbestos ink now :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I saw something about this on Miami Ink last night.

Sometimes I wonder how our country became a superpower with crap like this going on.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I saw something about this on Miami Ink last night.

Sometimes I wonder how our country became a superpower with crap like this going on.

Same way I heard about this nonsense. Pretty gutsy of the guy to open his own shop(s) based on the principle of it all. I wonder if that airing had anything to do with the law change?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.