Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mogema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
I have a pretty little tangerine iBook that I'm trying to put OSX on. Right now, it has 9.1. But there are a few problems...

It seems as though the internal CDROM drive is not working anymore (it's been a while since it has been used). So I tried an external CDROM via USB. Surprisingly the iBook didn't see that drive during bootup so I couldn't use that as the startup disk. Then I got desperate and installed OSX on my PC (pearpc) thinking I could just do a NetInstall from there, but come to find out I need OSX Server for NetBoot/NetInstall.

Is there any other way to get OS X on this iBook?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Ok, first thing to do is to update to OS 9.2.2 and make sure that you run any firmware updates that might be needed (Software Update will find all of it if you need it.) Second, have you tried any disks besides the OS X disk in your iBooks CD drive?

EDIT: Now that I think back, I'm not sure that Software Update will pick up the 9.2 update. You may need to download the 9.2.1 updater from Apple yourself. Once that's done Software Update will get the 9.2.2 update.

mogema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Okay, Ive done all that and tested the cd drive.. apparently the cd's I have arent any good. They're burned, but are copies of cds that I own. I ripped an audio CD in iTunes at about 3x, so I assume the drive is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions from this point, other than getting the original CDs?

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, if other disks work then it's pretty safe to say that the drive is OK. Unfortunatly if the disks you have arn't working then you probabily just have to wait untill you have access to your original disks.

Just out of curiosity, how did you make the disks, did you use disk utility to create and burn them, or did you just do a drag and drop of all the files onto blank CD's?

mogema

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2004
Yes, it was just the burned CD's that I had. Found the original discs and everything's fine now

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.