Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
OK, all of you iPod owners out there. I am going to buy Mrs. B2TM an iPod. Here is the question. Should I go with the old 10GB or the new 10GB? That is the question.

Old scroll wheel or new one.
New headphones or old ones.
Remote?
Case?

I can get the old one for 350 and the new one for 399.

What do you think?

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, I just went ahead and ordered the new one. I want to hear your tips, experiences with the iPod. Your likes dislikes. What can I expect?

Thanks,
B2TM

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Originally posted by Backtothemac
Well, I just went ahead and ordered the new one. I want to hear your tips, experiences with the iPod. Your likes dislikes. What can I expect?

Thanks,
B2TM

Yey....... Good boy...... :) much better to go for the new one..... remote, 20% thinner, solid state controls etc....... Pukka!!

Well I don't have an iPod so can't tell you what to expect....... I understand they're pretty easy to scratch though..... but hopefully that new case will stop that......

elensil

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
If I understand correctly new iPod would ship with a remote (~$30 if separate) and a leather case (~$30). And its thinner, has new scroll wheel, and new firmware. To me the choice is pretty obvious.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
friend of mine got a first edition iPod the day they hit the stores, and he has had virtually no problems with his, despite pretty heavy us and several trips on rocky terain. The only problem he encountered was a scary day when it wouldn't turn on at all, not even plugged into the mac. He fretted for a few hours and then went back, and viola, it worked again. Appearantly the battery was totaly drained.

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Man, I forgot about the warranty. I wonder if they extended the warranty on those already in the channel? Wow, I am glad that I ordered the new one. I cannot wait to get it.

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Man, I forgot about the warranty. I wonder if they extended the warranty on those already in the channel? Wow, I am glad that I ordered the new one. I cannot wait to get it.

I just repalced my rev a iPod, it was only a 3 month warranty, but at the apple store in aspen grove, CO, they said that they were extending the old warranties, as I am sitting here with a new iPod that I have not even opened yet. And you did make a mistake on the new one. The touchpad sucks, I tried it at the apple store, it is slow, and the friction between your finger and a solid state such as the wheel is uncomfortable, I would go with my old 5 gigger with the moving scroll wheel. But try to enjoy it!

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
are you sure about the old 5gb's. I have the original with 90day warranty.. are they really extending these to 1 year???????

that would be sweet, but seems highly unlikely.. for those who's have quit and it's after 90 days, they've already bought a new one.. what about them??
(man that sentence makes no sence at all!~!!!!) it is late

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Originally posted by DannyZR2
are you sure about the old 5gb's. I have the original with 90day warranty.. are they really extending these to 1 year???????

that would be sweet, but seems highly unlikely.. for those who's have quit and it's after 90 days, they've already bought a new one.. what about them??
(man that sentence makes no sence at all!~!!!!) it is late

yeah man, my headphone jack broke in half, and the scroll wheel popped off (dont ask!), they replaced it there on the spot and said they were extending the warranty since the new ones have the year warranty. Hope that works for everyone else, I am very happy a new iPod is sitting right next to it, and I have not even taken off the plastic cover, waiting for my cover, hey danny, if your iPod looked like this, than you probably could get it replaced!

Attachments

• dscn2504.jpg
    dscn2504.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 177

davidc2182

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2001
Sin City
hey

yes they did extend the warranty, as a matter of fac i recently took mine in to let them look @ it and they were like did you register it? and i was like nope so they registered it for me so i've got a whole year of warranty even though i've had the thing for over 6 months :)

Backtothemac

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 3, 2002
San Destin Florida
Well, I used the trackpad on my iBook daily, and the new one has a longer warranty, the better earphones, the beltclip, it is smaller, and cosh darnit, people like it :D

I just wish it would ship. :(

swahilibill

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2002
Highlands Ranch
Well, I used the trackpad on my iBook daily, and the new one has a longer warranty, the better earphones, the beltclip, it is smaller, and cosh darnit, people like it :D

I just wish it would ship. :(

The new one is not smaller man, the 10 and 20 GB are thicker and heavier than the original 5 GB one. They have to be to fit the new toshiba drive. i have seen one, believe me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.