Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
Im looking for some older programs, to use with one of my older macs...

1. An FTP program for OS 8.1.. Are these around? I could upgrade the computer to 9.1 If I had to....
Just need to be simple, so I can host a few pics, and pages of text

2. Application that will let the computer act as a print server. Is this possible? I want to connect all my old macs to a Personal Laserwriter 300 and have them be able to share it over the network

3. Program similar to Apple Share IP that is free.. Shareware anywhere? Im not sure.....

Thanks in advance for your help:p

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Actually, finding AppleShare IP (version 6.0 if you have to stay at Mac OS 8.1) wouldn't be all that expensive these days and would give you everything you are looking for (FTP server, print server, file server).

If ASIP 6.x is not an option, then there are titles that do what you need... finding them these days would be the trick. For example, FTPd was free (shareware)... but I'm not sure where you would find it these days. I might have a copy around in my archives, but it isn't something I keep at hand. I have AppleShare IP, A/UX, multiple versions of Mac OS X Server along with other Unix systems with that type of software, so the need for running such features in Mac OS 8.x/9.x (without ASIP) is pretty low for me (basically, it would take me a couple days to find the software).

For standard file sharing, Mac OS 8.1 is pretty advanced. You have the File Sharing control panel which provides you with a sharing monitor (to view file server activity), you have the Users and Groups control panel for creating new users and groups on your system, and under the File menu in the Finder you'll find an item for sharing specific folders (this was merged into the Get Info panel in 8.5). Add FTPd to that (as it uses the AppleTalk users, groups, share points and permissions) and you have most of the features a file server would need for a small network.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 7, 2005
ok thanks, i guess its time to check ebay :)
I used 8.1's file sharing, but the AppleTalk Port always went back to printer port... must mean I need a new PRam battery also...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.