Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As Apple prepares to launch its new iPhone 6, the iPhone 5 remains the company's most popular model in use, claims Localytics in a report that examines both mobile and web app analytics data from over 100 million iOS devices for the month of August 2014. According to the report, the iPhone 5 has 27 percent market share, edging out the year-old iPhone 5s, which has 25 percent. The now free on contract iPhone 4S rounds out the top three with 21 percent of the iPhone market.

iphone_device_share_localytics-800x399.png

With a new iPhone 6 on the horizon, these iPhone numbers will undoubtedly shift as owners upgrade their phones. The biggest change will likely be in the iPhone 5, which will lose market share as customers take advantage of upgrade offers.
The iPhone 5, launched in 2012, is Apple's most popular phone with a 27% share, but only leads its successor, the 5s, by a small (2%) margin. This is likely because most iPhones come with a cheaper price if the consumer locks into a two-year contract, putting the average consumer on a two-year upgrade cycle. With the new iPhones expected to be available for purchase later this month, the iPhone 6 will likely eat into the iPhone 5's market share.
ipad_device_sharelocalytics-800x399.png

While consumers tend to upgrade their iPhone on a regular basis, the latest Localytics data suggests the iPad has a longer lifespan. Though it is more than three years old, the iPad 2 remains the most popular iPad model in the company's lineup with 29 percent market share. Though it is heavily advertised and has received rave reviews, the current iPad Air occupies fifth place with 13 percent market share, beating only the original iPad.

In the past couple of years, Apple has launched the iPhone in September and the iPad in October, but one recent rumor claimed the company may unveil both devices during its press event tomorrow. But while numerous have pointed toward introduction for both the 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhone 6, along with the iWatch, new iPads are less certain.

Article Link: Older iPhone 5 and iPad 2 Models Still Lead Apple's iOS Device Lineups in Usage

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Makes sense to me, as I haven't seen a reason to upgrade my iPhone 5 or ipad 2 for several years now. iPhone 5 being in the lead is especially interesting since it never became the lower cost model (replaced by 5c instead).

Spock

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
As long as these devices are this popular Apple will have little choice but to support them with software updates. Saying that, is the iPad 2 getting iOS 8?

Crosscreek

macrumors 68030
Nov 19, 2013
Margarittaville
I have an IPad2 that still works great but I think I'll trade up to an IPad Air 2 to take advantage of a faster processor and retina for these tired old eyes.

Wow... I'm actually very surprised by this. The older devices are much more popular than the newer ones?? At first thought, it made sense with the iPhone 5, because I figured it's been selling for 2 years vs the 1 year of the 5s... but that's not true. iPhone 5 sales ended last year (at least in most places in the world). I thought iPhone sales were increasing... iPad makes a bit more sense because sales have been flat (or even decreasing), but it's still crazy that the original iPad (that only sold for 1 year) is more popular today than the iPad mini 2 (which has been sold for nearly a year)???!

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
As long as these devices are this popular Apple will have little choice but to support them with software updates. Saying that, is the iPad 2 getting iOS 8?

Why would they? Their incentive is to get people to upgrade. 60% of the iPhone users are on this generation (iPhone 5s) or the generation before (iPhone 5/5c). That's ideal numbers as far as Apple are concerned. They have a dwindling number on iPhone 4/4S that will upgrade when they feel like it. iPhone 4/4S users will probably go for the 5s in plastic (if that's what Apple do with the 5s) and iPhone 5 users will go for the 6.

markyr17

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2010
Cool... iPhone 5 is still a great phone! The iPad 2 is a great tablet, but I've been too spoiled with "retina" displays that I don't think I'd enjoy the iPad 2 experience.

Also, I use an iPhone 5s, but have purchased the iPhone 5 used for friends and family, as it's cheaper

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Why does the article text talk about "market share" when the graphs are showing "usage share?"

Isn't the iPhone 5 comparatively tiny in "market share" since there aren't many of them being sold new on the market anymore? (Nitpicky maybe, but the terms seem to be misused more often than not)

TsunamiTheClown

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Fiery+Cross+Reef
Honestly these devices are having a pretty good lifespan for consumer electronics.

I am probably going to replace my 4s just due to the fact that I recently cracked the screen, but I could just as easily replace the screen, because as a *phone* it is still doing fine on battery life and functionality.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I have the iPad 3, and the most interesting news I am look for tomorrow is what they will be doing for the iPad. I hope to see the touch ID for sure and I will probably purchase the iPad on day 1. What I am seeing (and I think it is well documented now) is that the iPad is being refreshed like computers (every 3+ years) versus phones being replaced every 2 years or less. I am seeing iPads being used in stores as cash registers and other applications where I could see them being refreshed even less frequently. But for personal use or applications where the iPad is being used on the move (sales clerks at Burberry for example) I could see the desire to move to the lighter iPad air form factor. This is one of the reasons I am looking to upgrade once the Touch ID is added.

I have the iPhone 5s and I have not heard of any major hardware update beyond the bigger screen (and the usual spec bumps). Having the iPad means that I don’t care too much about phone screen size. I am happy with the current screen size and would not update after one year unless there is something more significant. I am surprised to see so many still on the older 30-pin phones, however, but that may also be related to the cost of switching all the accessories to the new connector. I hope that tomorrow’s announcement will convince people to upgrade to the new connector based phones. And maybe, Tim and company will provide some surprise that will be so compelling that even I will want to upgrade from the 5s.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Interesting that more people are still using the original iPad than are the second generation iPad mini. Even moreso that the iPad Air is behind the third generation iPad when the former was on the market for double the amount of time. Personally, I love the iPad Air and think it's their best 9.7" iPad yet.

In other news, I wouldn't bank on iPads being announced at tomorrow's event. Even if they were ready to be released, the watch and the iPhones will command enough attention and time on their own that it would be a poor decision from a marketing/PR standpoint as they'd only be diluting the attention on the iPhone and iWatch by bringing in iPads (especially with the rumored iPad Pro in the works as well).

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
iPhone 5c

You should count the iPhone 5c and iPhone 5 together really.. since the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s became mid to low end phones later and thats lumped into when they were mainstream..

The 5c was never a mainstream phone.. If you think about it; to be at 8% when it was never a premium line iPhone on its own is really impressive.

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
no surprise. i see no need to update my iPad 3 either

I disagree. I own a iPhone 5S and iPad 3. I am opting not to use AT&T NEXT to upgrade to iPhone 6. Will wait til contract up and get iPhone 6S next year.

Reason being. I'll be getting the iPad Air 2. My iPad 3 takes WAY TOO LONG to charge it's heavy and I am so accustomed to Touch ID on the iPhone 5S I want it on my iPad.

reason to upgrade from iPad 3 to iPad Air 2:

Lighter smaller
Better battery charge
Touch ID

Last edited:

orioncrystalice

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2014
That's interesting, I always thought the 5 was the red-headed stepchild for some reason. iPad 2 use doesn't surprise me, it seems like that's the one everyone ended up getting, but that's a worthy model for an upgrade. iPad with retina is just a fantastic display. I'm on iPad 4, which I see myself hanging onto for a while, but then I also have an aging 4S with cracked back and faded colors.......I think that is gonna go to the 5S tomorrow.

caerulea

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2014
Canuckistan
iPad 2 is likely "still" popular because...

It's more likely the iPad 2 is "still" popular because when Apple introduced the iPad Air, they dropped the iPad 4 and re-introduced the iPad 2 as the "cheap previous generation" version, and it remained so for quite some time. They only brought back the iPad 4 as the cheaper 16 gb version this past March.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
The 5c was never a mainstream phone.. If you think about it; to be at 8% when it was never a premium line iPhone on its own is really impressive.

I had expected a much bigger share, actually. It was priced attractively and had the specs of the 5. And I still like the design more than the 5. But I guess it never caught on with the public. I wouldn't be surprised if it was retired after Tuesday's keynote.

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I still group the 3rd and 4th together in my mind (obviously the 4th is far superior). That makes a little bit more sense to me.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Probably will for a long time. The iPhone 5/5S are beautiful. The 6 not so much.

I think the 6 looks quite good. Never was a huge fan of the glass breaks on the 5. Either way as has always been the case I think the new iPhone will look better when you see it in person.

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Still using my original iPad 2 (bought on launch day). I would have bought the iPad Air if it had Touch ID, which I have really gotten used to on the iPhone 5S (and don't want to do without anymore). Looks like I'll finally update to the Air 2. :D

DIRSGT

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2011
NC
I think the big reason there is so much iPad 2 usage is because that is the model a lot of institutions purchased (e.g. schools, corporations, etc). The real indicator will be when and if the institutional buyers upgrade or cease to see the value in the technology.

At my prior employer, my company purchased several thousand iPad 2s...but thus far, they have yet to do much with them except a few custom apps to access HR data. I wonder if they will upgrade or do like some schools are doing and cancel the program.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.