Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Just dl'ed it and i must say... the free version is pretty cool... You can make charts and stuff that have drop down shadows... of course u can do this on a piece of paper urself.. but hey the free version looks nice... tons of customization if u ask me...

russed

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2004
i just used it for the first time today. and i must say i was really impressed, it is like one of those programmes which you didnt think you had a use for but you do! its cool! :cool:

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I agree. It was the first program I bought for my mac when I switched in 2001. I find it an indispensable tool and when asked by people why I won't switch back to Windows or migrate to Linux I don't hark on about the mac ease of use and no virus problem. I just ask them to find me a program like omnigraffle and I will consider switching. I have tried Visio, to complex for my needs, and a program for Linux the name of which i can't remember, and that to was complex and cumbersome. I would recommend very mac owner to download it, it used to come free with PowerMac and powerbooks, then support the company and buy it.
Another excellent but under sold app is Stone Studio's Create DTP. I have tried the demo and would have bought it, but I have e-mail customer support twice for some specific info and had no reply. Omnigroups customer support is very responsive and helpful.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Yeah, its one of the few programs I have bought for my Mac. So easy to use.

Wish it did patterns and textures, along with all the cool shading stuff. A bunch more or even user designed 3D shapes would be a nice addition as well.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Jason_Bryan said:
Another excellent but under sold app is Stone Studio's Create DTP. I have tried the demo and would have bought it, but I have e-mail customer support twice for some specific info and had no reply.
What were your questions about Create? I've been a long time user (started with, and still use, version 5), and help out over at the Stone forums answering questions, maybe I can help.

It is odd that you didn't get a reply. Stone Design is one of the most responsive companies I've bought software from. And so far all of the inquiries that my clients have made to Stone Design have been responded to (that I know of).

Still, I can guarantee that you'll get some sort of response in the forums over there. I'm one of a handful of people who check in daily to help out users with questions. I'm pretty good with the page layout and web design end, and there are people who are great at the illustration stuff, plus Andrew Stone is very active answering questions and quickly reacting to bug reports.

Jason_Bryan

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2003
Sheffield, UK
I am always careful about giving negative opinions about people/companies because in the end it only relates to my experience. I tried the Create demo but because of all the things that happen in life I didn't get to use it as much as I would have liked before the demo ran out, even so I was very impressed with the interface and feature set and decided to buy. Both times I e-mailed Stone Studio I was enquiring about Educational Discounts. In the end I gave up waiting for a reply from Stone Studio and purchased iWorks. I am glad that my experience is a isolated case as I think that quality products like create should be supported.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
As I recall the education discount price for Create is about $99.00US, and yes, you do need to be directed to it via e-mail (one of my clients who bought Create was a student).

While Pages is no Create, it does look like it should be able to produce some nice documents. Personally, coming from a background of using PageMaker/QuarkXPress, I'm not much into templates for page layout. Still, for my clients with limited page layout needs/abilities, Pages is the perfect app.

There are aspects of Create that can be used beyond the 30-day demo, specially for getting the feel as to what it can offer. Limited HTML export works, and all the page layout and illustration tools function (without save and copy/paste). Also the services that Create shares with other Cocoa apps (like Pages and TextEdit) still function too.

I put together a tutorial on my site for helping people get a feel for the page layout aspects of Create 12, you can find it here.

If you decide to head down the Create path again someday, feel free to PM me and we'll see if we can get around the communication problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.