Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
The 5 is already pretty damn thin. I have to imagine that we must be reaching a point of diminishing returns here soon. If we keep moving toward credit card thickness (but the same HxW), it doesn't get that much more portable and it just gets harder to hold.

Hopefully the attention gets shifted to bezel death or battery life at that point. I mean, am I wrong - does anyone here even *care* about an even-thinner phone?

It is plenty thin enough. Let's put THICKER BATTERY in the darn thing so I can use it all day.

nerdAFK

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2014
Once people hold a 6 mm iPhone, they will never wanna go back to a 7.2mm iPhone. :apple:

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
It is plenty thin enough. Let's put THICKER BATTERY in the darn thing so I can use it all day.

This is probably the biggest point that Apple seem to forget (or just don't care about).

If you're shrinking components to fit in a smaller form factor that's fine but if you used the same smaller components in the same form factor and with a larger batter it would certainly be popular.

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 13, 2013
My thought is that once you get as thin as the 6 is, you don't even really *want* it thinner.

Even if it was indestructible, a 3 mm phone would just be a pain in the ass to hold. Not to mention too thin for headphones, buttons, etc.

So once we get to that point, we might as well just start adding stuff like battery life or whatever else you can cram in. Right?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
My thought is that once you get as thin as the 6 is, you don't even really *want* it thinner.

Even if it was indestructible, a 3 mm phone would just be a pain in the ass to hold. Not to mention too thin for headphones, buttons, etc.

So once we get to that point, we might as well just start adding stuff like battery life or whatever else you can cram in. Right?

Much thinner and you'd need to slide it to the edge of a table to pick it up. If it was in a box you'd need to invert it or use a knife to pry it up. :)

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The upcoming Galaxy Alpha is supposed to be thinner than the iPhone 6. I wonder how they're approaching the battery?

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The upcoming Galaxy Alpha is supposed to be thinner than the iPhone 6. I wonder how they're approaching the battery?

Hopefully it will uphold the fine traditions of the Galaxy range and be removable. That way genuine replacements are cheap as chips and people can own two. I doubt it will be too low powered for comfort anyway.

td1439

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2012
Boston-ish
Much thinner and you'd need to slide it to the edge of a table to pick it up. If it was in a box you'd need to invert it or use a knife to pry it up. :)

New for 2020: iTweezers. A solid grip on your 1.5mm iPhone 8. USB connectivity. And 6 snappy colors. $59.99.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013

Lol. Make sure you wear plasters on your fingers when picking it up too, you wouldn't want any nasty cuts.

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
If you're shrinking components to fit in a smaller form factor that's fine but if you used the same smaller components in the same form factor and with a larger batter it would certainly be popular.

Amen to this! I think the thinness thing is more about differentiation, which while a shame, I do kind of get. It's hardly like they're not selling as a result! I still don't have massive issues with the life of my battery, but I do sometimes get the electric car equivalent of "range anxiety"!

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hopefully it will uphold the fine traditions of the Galaxy range and be removable. That way genuine replacements are cheap as chips and people can own two. I doubt it will be too low powered for comfort anyway.

I know of no one in my vicinity who carries an extra battery for their Android phone. I think it's an overhyped marketing point.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I know of no one in my vicinity who carries an extra battery for their Android phone. I think it's an overhyped marketing point.

If you need to, you can though. If the battery was anything like my iPhone then I know I would.
The battery is easily replaceable, whether you swap out batteries to keep a charge going, or if yours declines in capacity and you simply want to freshen your phone up - the facility is there. Genuine Samsung batteries can be purchased in retail packaging from proper shops, there is none of the bother that iPhone owners experience. Surely you can't see that as anything but a positive?

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
If you need to, you can though. If the battery was anything like my iPhone then I know I would.
The battery is easily replaceable, whether you swap out batteries to keep a charge going, or if yours declines in capacity and you simply want to freshen your phone up - the facility is there. Genuine Samsung batteries can be purchased in retail packaging from proper shops, there is none of the bother that iPhone owners experience. Surely you can't see that as anything but a positive?

Sure, the facility is there, but in real life, statistically, no one avails themselves of it. I don't have bad battery experiences on my iPhone 5s.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
They'll keep going thinner until it's a pane of glass. Tony Stark smartphone style.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.