Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
The title says it all. For some bizarre reason when I reply to one of my contacts through my watch all the default replies are in German. This doesn't happen for any other contacts that I've looked at.

This was funny at first but is now annoying.

I can't find any settings to change. Any thoughts?

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Sehr interessant! Have you tried deleting the contact in iPhone Contacts, doing a hard reset on both devices and then adding the contact again?

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Sehr interessant! Have you tried deleting the contact in iPhone Contacts, doing a hard reset on both devices and then adding the contact again?

No. Ugh. I imagine that will probably work, but I'd love an easier solution.

More than anything I'm curious about how that might happen. Software glitch or user error? Accidental setting change?

Deleting and Resetting is such a last resort "I give up on figuring this out" move. I appreciate the advice, and if nothing else I'll do that, but I'm hopeful someone may have an idea of what happened so I can learn from it.

I'll contact Apple when I get home too and see what they say.

testcard

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
Northumbria, UK
Deleting and then adding the contact again is pretty straightforward. Sorry, I'm suggesting a reset - press both buttons on each device until Apple logo appears - not wiping and reinstalling software. Apologies if my post was unclear.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Deleting and then adding the contact again is pretty straightforward. Sorry, I'm suggesting a reset - press both buttons on each device until Apple logo appears - not wiping and reinstalling software. Apologies if my post was unclear.

No, no, no, you were clear! And you gave solid advice! I guess I'm saying that's too easy more than that's too difficult. I'm fairly certain your advice will work, but again I'm more interested in finding out "why". If I fix it with your method I won't be able to play around with non reset solutions.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
No. Ugh. I imagine that will probably work, but I'd love an easier solution.

More than anything I'm curious about how that might happen. Software glitch or user error? Accidental setting change?

Deleting and Resetting is such a last resort "I give up on figuring this out" move. I appreciate the advice, and if nothing else I'll do that, but I'm hopeful someone may have an idea of what happened so I can learn from it.

I'll contact Apple when I get home too and see what they say.

do you have the german keyboard as one of your keyboards in the phone? if so, this is normal behaviour - go to that contact and see which keyboard is active in that chat. the default responses mirror the language of the keyboard in that contact's conversation.

if you don't, its a weird bug.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
do you have the german keyboard as one of your keyboards in the phone? if so, this is normal behaviour - go to that contact and see which keyboard is active in that chat. the default responses mirror the language of the keyboard in that contact's conversation.

if you don't, its a weird bug.
German is one of my keyboards, but if I go to my chat with her on the phone it is set to default English. Predictive text is also all English on the phone with this contact.

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
Contacted Apple support. They were clueless. Recommended unpairing and repairing assuming it's a glitch in how the info about that contact transferred over (reading the contact as being located in Germany).

Haven't done it yet. Deleted the contact and did a hard reset on the watch but that didn't fix it. After the hard reset the texts still show up on my watch with her phone number rather than name (obviously) and when I hit reply on the phone number still in German.

I'll unpair at some point.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Contacted Apple support. They were clueless. Recommended unpairing and repairing assuming it's a glitch in how the info about that contact transferred over (reading the contact as being located in Germany).

Haven't done it yet. Deleted the contact and did a hard reset on the watch but that didn't fix it. After the hard reset the texts still show up on my watch with her phone number rather than name (obviously) and when I hit reply on the phone number still in German.

I'll unpair at some point.

The message conversation would still be in German (or think it is) so thats not going to change, contact or not.

I tested this dictating responses to my wife and it works, if you try the following it might shake the watch into getting the right language. When I set her conversation to chinese, and dictate some chinese, it gives me a message in chinese characters (there are no default responses in chinese, for some reason). if i say english it will approximate it into chinese sounds. when I change it back to english UK it will recognise the english words (and start to give me default responses as well as my own) - so obviously this behaviour is working properly (for me)

I would suggest following my steps above. changing it to a different language and then back to English may be what it need to fix it. if you do want to try it - add the chinese (simplified, pinyin) keyboard, set it to the chinese keyboard for that conversation and then dictate a reply to them on the watch ("ni hao", pronounced kind of like "knee how". if it comes up with 你好 on screen you know the watch is now following the keyboard you chose) if it works, you should be able to switch it back to english and it should work. if not, i guess the only option left is to unpair, but I'm hoping this works for you.

:)

Neutral Milk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2015
It worked! Thanks nicho!

I tweaked what you said a little, but using your general suggestions. I sent her a text on my phone through the Spanish language keyboard (I had tried the english earlier on and had sent a few texts but it hadn't affected the watch). After sending a text in Spanish through the phone my watch had default options in Spanish. Then I changed the keyboard on my phone to English and sent a text, when I went to my watch the replies were finally in English.

Some weird glitch. I may have sent her a message in German at some point and it got stuck that way.

Reactions: nicho
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.