Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Originally posted by thebladerunner
Here's the bad part. In order to copy your DVDs, each one will need to be verified. When you attempt to copy, you will be required to register your DVD. Because of the unique copy protection on DVDs, no DVD can be registered more than once, so people won't be able to rent at blockbuster and transfer the movie to your device, nor will you be able to extract the DVDs from the device to another computer. People may be annoyed by having to register all their DVDs, but Apple has made it pretty painless. People will be amazed and of course a few years down the line, things like DTS decoding, better quality video, and larger capacity hard drives will be part of the package. At nearly $1000, people will be hesitant until they learn that it also has TiVo like capabilities!

This part sounds a bit odd. I can see where you won't be able to copy off the device. But each DVD of the same pressing has the same encryption key. TO do it any other way would require so much processing power for pressing DVDs that the price would've been prohibitive.

JBracy

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Chantilly, VA
Re: Video iPod

Originally posted by xazior
Maybe an Apple digital camera. An Apple dig cam would seem like a logical addition to the digital hub.

Been there done that. (Am I showing my age? Or does no one else remember the QuickTake cameras?)

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Re: One Day More...

Originally posted by Macrumors
With one day left before MacWorld Expo and most significantly, the Keynote speech... it's best to review and remind our readers to have some perspective prior to the big event - especially for recent switchers.

As a rumor site, this site gathers and reports on the entire range of rumors and possibilities for the expo. As a result, the range of rumors and predictions range from the mundane to the impossible. The actual truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Expectations should rest on the realistic... with a bit of hope for the unexpected. As with all expos, there will be groups of users pleased, ambivalent, or outright angry with the outcome..

I consider this to be one of the more appropriate posts made this year. Too often expectations are well out of proportion.

Apple may indeed introduce something insanely great. If so the response will be astonishing. But if all they do is announce incremental feature upgrades and a single new product, it is all to easy to forget Apple already has a very impressive technology base. What we need is more market share, to bring the day of IBM 960 chips closer to consumers, and to add some minor features such as working rondevoux, USB2, Firewire 2, and another iApp.

Hardware? A cell phone enabled computer as well as such an interface for the entire installed base of Mac users would be nice and very easy to pull off.

A CMOS videocam with internal HD and in an iPod form factor or so.

Sometimes it is best to assume status quo and see for yourself what greatness presents itself. Apple itself was disappointed by last year according to their own financial disclosures. On that basis alone one would expect them to out-do themselves this time, eh?

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Rocketman

adamcoop

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Re: Re: Video iPod

Originally posted by JBracy

Been there done that. (Am I showing my age? Or does no one else remember the QuickTake cameras?)

Yeah, we had one of those at school. I think it had 320x200 or maybe even 640x480 res.

wesmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
15" display

Has anyone noticed the 15" display is gone from the Apple online store? The 19" display sounds more and more likely. It would be very cool if it goes for $999, with other displays dropping prices accordingly.

MikeH

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2002
15" display

I think you'll find the 15" display was discontinued several months ago, and was followed by mass speculation of a 19" display that has so far failed to materialise.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.