Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EnderBeta

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2016
Everyone should put their systems in their signature...mine is!

Yes, I got the 15" and it replaced a 2008 Mac Pro. But, the max 15" is close to to the current max iMac in performance.

I am using macOS Sierra 10.12.3 Beta 4 too.

You're kidding yourself if you think your MacBook Pro is close to performance of the Late 2015 iMac 5K maxed out. Based on Geek bench scores the single core performance of the Late 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch is slower then the mid 2015 MacBook Pro in single and multi core performance. https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
I bought a 15" and even though I'm overall happy with my choice, the choice was because there was no competition no necessarily because this is a good laptop, because it isn't. The touchbar and large trackpad is the worse part of it.

doitdada

Suspended
Oct 14, 2013
I bought a 15" and even though I'm overall happy with my choice, the choice was because there was no competition no necessarily because this is a good laptop, because it isn't. The touchbar and large trackpad is the worse part of it.

how is the escape "key" threathing you?

Wowereit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2016
Germany
*sigh*. No.
7500U was available for the 13" , 6% to 15% better perfs (unless you take the best 13" TB, add 400$ for the top CPU option, and then it wins ...by 1.15%), uses only 60% of TDP, has better decoding options.

6 to 15% better CPU performance but half the GPU power doesn't seem like a good deal.

Sanpete

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2016
Utah

You're overall happy with a laptop that isn't good?

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
15" Still has no magsafe, stupid dongles, stupid keyboard etc.

yes I am.
[doublepost=1484512562][/doublepost]
Do so, but frankly I'd wait for the 2017 update.
You have/needed dongles. That was your choice. I knew in the future I would need USBC and TB3 compatible equipment regardless. So I went and bought the things I needed which amounted to two USBC to lightening cables. If I need a dongle for some reason, I will look into one then.

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
You registered two weeks before the launch, and your biased blessings of this machine is starting to make me believe you are a Pro user after all. If I was to write such lengthy posts with nothing but blessings I would also need a check from an ad agency at the end. With the stamina and quantity of posts of your profile, you are either a freelancer in a basement sharpening his axe or a professional copywriter. All products have flaws, even a Koeningsegg car or a Patek watch, and critics will point them out, even if they like the product. You seem too evangalised and uninterested in peoples issues with the new MacBook Pro to even be a owner.

My issues with the "issues" is I see clear evidence that most of it is not real. I don't believe "most" of the battery reports as I own 2 of these machines and I have direct contact with 4 more (15" versions). What are the chances that NONE have issues? Mine came from Amazon. The others came from Macwharehouse and the Apple Store. We must be VERY lucky.

And then there are the usage reports. Stories of medical issues after a few days on the new keyboards? 2 hour battery life? I have a close friend working at the Genius Bar, so why has she seen none of this? (I gave her a look at these forums and she had a big laugh over it).

Basically, the detractors have no idea how tiny a group they actually are. Consumers changed their rating and no recommend the machine and they continue to be a big hit for Apple.

I guess people can jump up and down, but it's pretty silly stuff at this point.

Robert

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
You registered two weeks before the launch, and your biased blessings of this machine is starting to make me believe you are a Pro user after all. If I was to write such lengthy posts with nothing but blessings I would also need a check from an ad agency at the end. With the stamina and quantity of posts of your profile, you are either a freelancer in a basement sharpening his axe or a professional copywriter. All products have flaws, even a Koeningsegg car or a Patek watch, and critics will point them out, even if they like the product. You seem too evangalised and uninterested in peoples issues with the new MacBook Pro to even be a owner.

Exactly!

Some people don't like the new KB either because it's shallow or the noise. I happen to like it but I can see where some won't.. Some don't like the larger trackpad and some don't want to live the dongle life.. It's their $$$ and their choice but heaven forbid if anyone dare to say anything negative about the new machine.

I like hearing both sides.. From the rational posters who like the machine to the folks who flat out hate it.. I like mine well enough but there are things I do not like about it..

You're overall happy with a laptop that isn't good?
Some are trapped into the Mac ecosystem and needed an upgrade for whatever reason.. Luckily for the people who dislike the new machines, Apple still sells the 2015's...

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
This topic is also reminiscent of the people who were angry about the lack of an optical drive in a 15" professional notebook back in 2012. It's ridiculous to look back at that viewpoint now, and the same will take place here over the next little while. USB-C is the next standard USB port and Thunderbolt 3 is the next generation of Thunderbolt. Magsafe was cool but is absolutely not necsessary. I'd rather have this totally solid state standard USB setup that can accept a charge from any USB power source, on any port, straight from the wall or through a hybrid data/power connection.

The SD slot is the single move I criticize. Nearly every device with removable storage uses a form of SD, and they gave such an absolutely garbage excuse ("the SD card sticks out") as to why they decided against it. A dongle sticks out much further than the edge of an SD card that you've only got in there for a few minutes to offload some media.

Reactions: raqball

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California
Exactly!

Some people don't like the new KB either because it's shallow or the noise. I happen to like it but I can see where some won't.. Some don't like the larger trackpad and some don't want to live the dongle life.. It's their $$$ and their choice but heaven forbid if anyone dare to say anything negative about the new machine.

I like hearing both sides.. From the rational posters who like the machine to the folks who flat out hate it.. I like mine well enough but there are things I do not like about it..

Some are trapped into the Mac ecosystem and needed an upgrade for whatever reason.. Luckily for the people who dislike the new machines, Apple still sells the 2015's...

The problem is that in a recent thread, where owners were asked about the keyboard, not a single person had an issue and most of the user reports said it was an improvement.

The ONLY negative reports were from non-owners and folks who claimed they "tried" the keyboard somewhere.

I have no issue with negative reports, assuming they're real.

Robert

ntnskrds

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
how does the Touch Bar escape key work out as a programmer?

how is the escape "key" threathing you?

Let's see if we can have something useful come out of this self-induced drama, rant-turn-into-farce thread...

The missing real ESC key does bother me as a programmer !! You know how IDEs these days keep showing an autocompletion popup window with proposals for variable/type/function/member/whatever names ?? More often than not, I dismiss this popup using the ESC key without actually taking any suggestion. I do this in an automatic, almost subconscious way so I had never actually realized how often I was doing this.. Hadn't realized until the ESC key was not there anymore !!! Then, it hit me !!

Now, I had many options:
- I could start several ranting threads ('Pro can't ESCape from touch bar hell' or something to this effect) all over the internet and rant endlessly until either apple made a special edition for me to silence me or someone in the beloved OS community wrote a utility that would allow me to map an external magic trackpad to a giant ESC key that I could place to the left of the machine and hit it with my fist ! I figured out there was not much point in pursuing this option.
- I could silently but intensely stare into the machine and pray/meditate/blast short pulses of intense,concentrated desire to it until it grows a real ESC key. Now, this option is actually better than the first. The machine will, of course, never grow a real ESC key. But this will be a great opportunity for an awesome 'One month in and still hasn't grown an ESC key' type of thread. Yeahh... more ranting !!

- Or I could be a grown up, who understands that perfection is but an ideal that cannot be purchased for $3000 and see if this inconvenience can be worked around (by modifying my workflow or adapting to it) and attached to the current end of the string of compromises we call life. Or, if that would be too much to take and the machine and I should part ways.

I decided that the machine is a keeper. Too good in every other way to let go (like, you know, the wife ...) So I remapped my CapsLock key (which I do not use at all) to ESC. This hasn't worked for me yet. It has to break through more than 2 decades of reinforced, cemented habitual behavior. Also the relative placement of Caps Lock and Tab (which is the key typically used to accept a proposal from such pop-ups ) doesn't help. But I know I can get used to it. I could even teach myself to ignore the awful feel (or absence of it) of the virtual ESC key (so perfectly in contrast to the marvelous positive feedback of the rest of the keyboard). It is a compromise I am willing to make. I am getting so much back that I know I can adapt and do so while keeping a smile in my face ...

Last edited:

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
This topic is also reminiscent of the people who were angry about the lack of an optical drive in a 15" professional notebook back in 2012. It's ridiculous to look back at that viewpoint now, and the same will take place here over the next little while. USB-C is the next standard USB port and Thunderbolt 3 is the next generation of Thunderbolt. Magsafe was cool but is absolutely not necsessary. I'd rather have this totally solid state standard USB setup that can accept a charge from any USB power source, on any port, straight from the wall or through a hybrid data/power connection.

The SD slot is the single move I criticize. Nearly every device with removable storage uses a form of SD, and they gave such an absolutely garbage excuse ("the SD card sticks out") as to why they decided against it. A dongle sticks out much further than the edge of an SD card that you've only got in there for a few minutes to offload some media.
Ive never used the SD card for any reason ever on a Mac. I think the last time I used an SD card slot is when I was a kid and had an mp3 player back in the 1990s. People think computers should be all in one options of every minute use case. Apple probably looked at the data and saw that the SD card slot was unnecessary for the vast majority of people.

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
The lack of an SD card slot is the only complaint I have regarding the Late 2016 MacBook Pro. I can even handle the lack of a real ESC key. Okay, I wish it cost only $1000.....

ihatetoregister

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 13, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Yes, in need of 2 cents.

how does the Touch Bar escape key work out as a programmer?
my personal gathering og info ranges from sufficient to burdensome. one of the most severe cases was that it was too sensitive in contrast to a physical button. it got triggered too easily. im typing this on an ipad and the feel of a touchscreen keyboard is not giving me any grace. rather flat and without emotion. i also agree with your take on function keys, that they can be operated without using the eye, in "blind" mode.

i've found solutions for the USB-C problem with new cables and docking, the battery is being fixed by software update (at least the 15" version), but i'm still not sold on the touch bar as I use cmd+alt+shift shortcuts anyway. since you are beating this machine to death, can you please rant a bit on touch bar?

I feel this post adds to my concerns regarding buying one
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/touch-bar-discussion-merged.2010222/page-26#post-24160204

Waiting for the software update for the battery for the 13" (it's beta for now, right ? ) , but I have little hope to get to the levels of my 2013 13". or the 2015 one even. I guess the ratio TDP / battery capacity is just bad.

For the ESC it's terrible, but you can always remap your capslock key (which is pretty useless in itself). But then you are in risk of pressing it by mistake (which happened to me) and this *sucks* big time in some cases.

Other than that pretty much what I said : I dont like I can't blind touch type, and there's no benefit in any IDE / software I m using so far.
So, a big inconvenience for no benefits so far. And it's terrible when it bugs.
Not to mention that if you have external keyboard / pad (as tu usual dev setup), this touch bar becomes an expensive gadget...

6 to 15% better CPU performance but half the GPU power doesn't seem like a good deal.

I'd really like to see those GPU bench and how much they matter and for which task.
I'm saying that without any animosity, just actually interested.
Note that with native decoding it will be better with Kaby on some of the stuff (h265). Still, 60% only of TDP is huge (I qualified the perf bump a "slight" in another thread).

Oh that's just beautiful.
So when some people don't find this machine to be up to their expectations / dislike it there are just haters, who don't know anything about computers and aren't real pro, and a just plain wrong; but somehow YOUR problem is a real problem for a professional ?

Should I do like you guys did and explain that you're wrong for wanting a SD card? That you are the only one to blame to pick a machine that doesn't have it and you should be silenced ? Should I insult you and say you're a moron, like you did earlier (I think, if it wasn't you apologies, but that's the same spirit) ?

Hopefully this opens your eyes about the rudeness here...

The problem is that in a recent thread, where owners were asked about the keyboard, not a single person had an issue and most of the user reports said it was an improvement.

False, I actually read those threads. It seemed more or less split between love it and hate it. I dreaded the change and gave it a try anyway.

The ONLY negative reports were from non-owners and folks who claimed they "tried" the keyboard somewhere.
I have no issue with negative reports, assuming they're real.

... Seriously, I wish you people could hear yourself.
So let me recap your thoughts on this thread :
- Only non-owners complained about the keyboard
- The owners who are complaining on this thread should be dismissed as they're wrong
- Complains are most likely "not real"

This is just priceless.

Funnily enough, as of this morning, my right arrow key was failing (need to "tap" harder).

Exactly!

Amen, amen and amen. Thanks Raqball.

Exactly, it's not like there are a lot of choice either. Even the Touchbar is mandatory if you need power on the 13". I maxed out my TB version, but the nTB one has a weak processor, even with the upgrade.
[doublepost=1484556656][/doublepost]
The lack of an SD card slot is the only complaint I have regarding the Late 2016 MacBook Pro. I can even handle the lack of a real ESC key. Okay, I wish it cost only $1000.....
See comment above. So your complain is valid, but other peoples's complains aren't ?
How so, exactly ?

I have no complain about the removal of the SD card, does it mean you're wrong and whiny ?

Last edited:

rwaggoner

Suspended
Dec 15, 2016
Sorry, but the OP who wants us to see his naked back for some odd reason complained about dongles and no Magsafe.

There are already ways to avoid both. The description of him was apt.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
Waiting for the software update for the battery for the 13" (it's beta for now, right ? ) , but I have little hope to get to the levels of my 2013 13". or the 2015 one even. I guess the ratio TDP / battery capacity is just bad.

For the ESC it's terrible, but you can always remap your capslock key (which is pretty useless in itself). But then you are in risk of pressing it by mistake (which happened to me) and this *sucks* big time in some cases.

Other than that pretty much what I said : I dont like I can't blind touch type, and there's no benefit in any IDE / software I m using so far.
Not to mention that if you have external keyboard / pad (as tu usual dev setup), this touch bar becomes an expensive gadget...

I'd really like to see those GPU bench and how much they matter and for which task.
Note that with native decoding it will be better with Kaby on some of the stuff (h265). Still, 60% only of TDP is huge (I qualified the perf bump a "slight" in another thread).

So when some people don't find this machine to be up to their expectations / dislike it there are just haters, who don't know anything about computers and aren't real pro, and a just plain wrong; but somehow YOUR problem is a real problem for a professional ?

Should I do like you guys did and explain that you're wrong for wanting a SD card? That you are the only one to blame to pick a machine that doesn't have it and you should be silenced ? Should I insult you and say you're a moron, like you did earlier (I think, if it wasn't you apologies, but that's the same spirit) ?

False, I actually read those threads. It seemed more or less split between love it and hate it. I dreaded the change and gave it a try anyway.

- The owners who are complaining on this thread should be dismissed as they're wrong

This is just priceless.

Funnily enough, as of this morning, my right arrow key was failing (need to "tap" harder).

Exactly, it's not like there are a lot of choice either. Even the Touchbar is mandatory if you need power on the 13". I maxed out my TB version, but the nTB one has a weak processor, even with the upgrade.
See comment above. So your complain is valid, but other peoples's complains aren't ?
How so, exactly ?

I have no complain about the removal of the SD card, does it mean you're wrong and whiny ?

That's hilarious dude, go check who called you a moron before accusing anyone of doing so.

This topic is absolute garbage.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I've noticed this as well.. Anyone who says anything negative about the machines is attacked, put down, belittled, badgered and called names... They also have their words twisted and their threads are purposefully derailed..

Ah, my old friend. I'm probably on your ignore list, but just for kicks, I'm going to repeat what I wrote to you in a different topic - and that is to ask you to produce evidence that anyone is calling people names because they criticize the MBP.

On the other hand, the OP of this very topic has said that ANYONE who likes this computer is "just flattering their ego and displaying their wealth in coffee shops." That is not being put down, belittled? People who like the new MBP are told to be drinking Kool Aid, being worshipers of Apple, being prosumers and not professionals, etc. I am yet to see one post where someone is insulting anyone who dislikes the MBP.

As before, I'm giving you a chance to find such a situation where someone expresses their dislike and people start calling them names. Last time you failed to do so, but let's see if this time you actually produce some evidence.
[doublepost=1484586835][/doublepost]
Absolutely. They bring nothing to the table, have 0 sense of humor, 0 respect.

0 respect? Dude, you literally said that people who buy this computer do it to flaunt their wealth - and you're talking about respect?

How about you giving some before asking it in return?

Reactions: HenryDJP

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
I find the new MacBook Pro disappointing. I don't own one(thank god) but I've tried it out and it doesn't impress me.

The keyboard is so disappointing, in my opinion the "old" keyboard is the best. There is no travel at all. It's a little bit of a pain to type on. The touch bar just seems like a hassle to use, I don't wanna accidentally tap a button.

The specs aren't very impressive. Being that my MBP 2010 '13 could reach 16gb of ram and 8gb is a minimum on $1000+ machine. I think on a machine like this, 16gb should be minimum. Maybe 16gb base and 32gb for $100 more? but moving on I am not a fan of AMD either, I think Nvidia is the way to go but again, my opinion. If someone can give me a technical view of why Apple chose AMD, I am happy to hear. My Geforce 320m is serving me well, so is my GTX 960.:)

The ports on the machine wasn't a very wise choice, USB-C for everything? I wish they would've threw in at least one USB-A port, but people would still complain anyway. This is probably the iMac back in the 1990s/early 2000s when Apple ditched legacy hardware and forced everyone to move forward. We're angry now but hey we might move forward with it. I still wish they included Magsafe though, but come to think of it, magsafe would probably pull your extremely light MBP of whatever it's on.

Again, this is all my opinion, but feel free to counter what I'm saying as I could be wrong.

AMD is better at OpenCL that Apple uses in their programs like FCPX.

My general rule is AMD = production, NVIDIA = gaming. There are exceptions to this is your production work uses CUDA, then you want NVIDIA.

Also, AMD is more open to custom graphics cards than NVIDIA.
[doublepost=1484587434][/doublepost]
15" Still has no magsafe, stupid dongles, stupid keyboard etc.

yes I am.
[doublepost=1484512562][/doublepost]
Do so, but frankly I'd wait for the 2017 update.

Look guys, enough with the stupid dongles discussion. Take a real hard look at the 2013 rMBP which I own. What about ethernet? DVI? VGA? Three or more USB ports? "Big boy" DisplayPort? I needed the SAME AMOUNT OF ADAPTERS that I did with my 2013 system.

Stop this damn argument, we have needed to deal with adapters for a long time now. This is not new. Every video review, or forum posting always discusses "dongles this dongles that". Where is the ethernet port on the 2013 rMBP guys?!

Last edited:

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
Stop this damn argument, we have needed to deal with adapters for a long time now. This is not new. Every video review, or forum posting always discusses "dongles this dongles that". Where is the ethernet port on the 2013 rMBP guys?!

I see what you are saying and for you that might be true so it's a valid point.. However.... For me, I went from needing zero dongles to needing 2..

Do I really care about dongles? Nope, but the point is I need them now where I previously did not..

USB C is the future but it will be a while before it's mainstream.. When businesses and schools make the switch then USB A will indeed be dead..

Right now I have two USB C devices. An external HD and a GoPro.. Everything else I have is still USB A and the new machines are lacking an SD card slot..

Reactions: ihatetoregister

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
You're kidding yourself if you think your MacBook Pro is close to performance of the Late 2015 iMac 5K maxed out. Based on Geek bench scores the single core performance of the Late 2016 MacBook Pro 15 inch is slower then the mid 2015 MacBook Pro in single and multi core performance. https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

Um, if I recall correctly, the 2015 rMBP have more issues thermal throttling than the 2016 systems. This is why benchmarks are again, useless.
[doublepost=1484588660][/doublepost]
I see what you are saying and for you that might be true so it's a valid point.. However.... For me, I went from needing zero dongles to needing 2..

Do I really care about dongles? Nope, but the point is I need them now where I previously did not..

USB C is the future but it will be a while before it's mainstream.. When businesses and schools make the switch then USB A will indeed be dead..

Right now I have two USB C devices. An external HD and a GoPro.. Everything else I have is still USB A and the new machines are lacking an SD card slot..

I didn't need dongles with my 2010 Macbook Pro. But I did with my 2013 rMBP. I even needed to get an external Superdrive too *SHOCK*. I didn't go around and whine about it all day long.

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I didn't go around and whine about it all day long.

Whats wrong with people complaining? If the OP wants to rant then let him have at it.. If you don't like the topic or the tone then move on.. I breeze right on past plenty of threads because they don't interest me or I don't like the topic or the tone..

He did say this in the 1st post of the thread:
Disclaimer : This is a rant. If you love your machine, don't read, don't comment, don't troll

At any rate, some of the people complaining are hardcore and long time Mac fans and they are upset over the changes made to the new machines. I am overall happy with mine and I'm not really all that upset over USB C only and dongles but I am upset over the SD card slot getting whacked..

Last edited:
Reactions: ihatetoregister

Ethosik

Contributor
Oct 21, 2009
That was removed.

At the same time, it's about a garbage laptop.
You're also free to not comment, as you were invited in the first place. Learn some manners.
[doublepost=1484585314][/doublepost]I like how the fanboys here describe anyone not liking their machine as haters... while calling names , being condescending and just overall rude.
You see none of that from the people who dislike the machine on thread from people who love it.

Fanboys are the ones raging, not the other side, which is funny on a rant thread :)

Nope. No docks available at the time. And even when there will be one, I'll have to add 200/300 $ for it (Belkin) on top of this 4060$ idiotic machine

If it was you who insulted, also you were nicely asked to not comment.
Learn some manners

Um, this dock existed for a while now. Might not be able to charge the laptop, but it is still a dock that was available before the new computers even shipped.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/TCDOCK11PSG/
[doublepost=1484589402][/doublepost]
Whats wrong with people complaining? If the OP wants to rant then let him have at it.. If you don't like the topic or the tone then move on.. I breeze right on past plenty of threads because they don't interest me or I don't like the topic or the tone..

He did say this in the 1st post of the thread:

At any rate, some of the people complaining are hardcore and long time Mac fans and they are upset over the changes made to the new machines. I am overall happy with mine and I'm not really all that upset over USB C only and dongles but I am upset over the SD card slot getting whacked..

How well did all of that ranting work out with the Superdrive? Are those included in the 2016 Macbook Pros now? USB-C will not be going away. Do you honestly think Apple would say "Well this person on a forums site wants old legacy ports back, lets add them back then!"?

You can be annoyed about suddenly needing to use adapters. But all these people that make that argument are treating it like it is a new issue. It is not. Ethernet, DVI, VGA, DisplayPort, 5/6 USB ports, and more have needed Adapters for YEARS now.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaptRB

sidewinder

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2008
Northern California
So your complain is valid, but other peoples's complains aren't ?
How so, exactly ?

I didn't create a thread to complain, much less rant, about the lack of an SD card slot. I didn't blame Apple for my failings in buying the right computer for my needs. Of course, it helps that I actually bought the right computer. I thought about the lack of an SD card BEFORE I bought my MacBook Pro and accepted that I would have to come up with a solution for that on my own....which is why I haven't complained about it publicly except to say that is my only complaint.

Reactions: CaptRB

CaptRB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2016
LA, California

This is just priceless.

How so, exactly ?

AND THIS IS WHY I DON'T BELIEVE THREADS LIKE THIS.

In the recent thread, "New Keyboard, Love it or Hate it?" owners overwhelmingly voted YES to the new keyboard. And at least some of the few who voted NO were NOT OWNERS . So why lie and claim it was evenly split, when the new keyboard is clearly a hit?

So when people tell a lie, which can easily be checked, what credibility remains? Zero. More importantly, saying something that is blatantly untrue begs the question: WHY?

Robert

Reactions: HenryDJP
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.