Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackaveli

macrumors regular
May 1, 2005
i believe the beach ball is when your computer is busy and the mouse cursor switches to the circle with the multiple colours.
if not i hav eno idea then

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
mackaveli said:
i believe the beach ball is when your computer is busy and the mouse cursor switches to the circle with the multiple colours.
if not i hav eno idea then

Yup, you hit the nail right on the head :D

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
since repairing permissions is explained elsewhere and can be found easily enough with a search or looking at the stickies....

a beachball is one of two things, both mentioned already...
1. a beach toy that is inflatable and round and multicolored
2. when your Mac is 'busy' with an application and your mouse changes to a spinning multicolored ball that resembles a beachball. this only happens when a app is locked up momentarily or is having an issue it cannot resolve. usually more ram or force quitting the app helps

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
Beach ball of doom looks simular to the one below.

Repaireing premissions is a feature of OSX, accessed by programs. The routeens are built into OSX, but accessing them can be done by using a program us using the Terminal interface.

HD-->Applications-->Utilties-->Disk Utility

or

Run a program like Onyx or MacSweeper, or the Disk Utility. Have the programs update the prebindings, and if you can, run all the maintenance functions that they can. The former two are good tools (really just AppleScripts running routeens already built into OSX), I prefer MacSweeper

BeachBall of Doom below

Attachments

• beachball.gif
    beachball.gif
    2.3 KB · Views: 113
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.