Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

refrakt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2012
I've had a Snow Leopard server running for the last two years without any problems doing everything from DNS,DHCP,Mail,Web,Ical blah blah.

Have just taken the plunge with new hardware (new mac mini server) due to more users, greater storage needs, ect.

The company had recently split into two new companies operating out of the same office. Some workers will only be part of company a, some will be part of company b and some will be part of both. As the names (and purposes) of each company are very different, i'm trying to sort out the best way to approach this.

Currently, it's a large VLANed network into different segments (server/admin, wireless,wired,voip).

Seeing as though I will be adding a thunderbolt raid to the new mini for storage (and both companies would need to store/access it), i'm thinking that maybe a second nic in the mini is the go and having all of company b's data go through that and company a's data through the internal nic. each nic can then resolve to each companys correct dns names ech.

is this the best way to do this? obviously, each user will be part of a group structure so technically their access is already limited, im just concerned about the eventual "my dns resolves to company A but i work for B" ect.

any thoughts or help would be great.
thanks.

matspekkie

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2010
First of all you could set up the mini to make use of the vlans (add an virtual interface and set the correct vlan. Of course the will not increase bandwith if that is needed than the only option would be thunderbold to Gb network adapter. As far as the companies being split up create different workgroups and assign the right services to those groups. As far as dns records assign one to the normal nic address and the other one to the virtual clan nic address.

I've had a Snow Leopard server running for the last two years without any problems doing everything from DNS,DHCP,Mail,Web,Ical blah blah.

Have just taken the plunge with new hardware (new mac mini server) due to more users, greater storage needs, ect.

The company had recently split into two new companies operating out of the same office. Some workers will only be part of company a, some will be part of company b and some will be part of both. As the names (and purposes) of each company are very different, i'm trying to sort out the best way to approach this.

Currently, it's a large VLANed network into different segments (server/admin, wireless,wired,voip).

Seeing as though I will be adding a thunderbolt raid to the new mini for storage (and both companies would need to store/access it), i'm thinking that maybe a second nic in the mini is the go and having all of company b's data go through that and company a's data through the internal nic. each nic can then resolve to each companys correct dns names ech.

is this the best way to do this? obviously, each user will be part of a group structure so technically their access is already limited, im just concerned about the eventual "my dns resolves to company A but i work for B" ect.

any thoughts or help would be great.
thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.