Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samven582

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2009
Horrible? Everything is black or white for kids these days.

Not sure who you're referring to as a kid but the screen on the OP3 is terrible. There are several threads on their forum where users are describing poor screen uniformity.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
What's the S7 got over this phone?

Better screen, better camera and waterproof as mentioned above me.
But OP3 is a lot faster, doesn't have slowdowns, better battery life (at least in my use case scenario), better fingerprint scanner and build quality (imho of course).

You pick what you want more, and if S7 is worth almost double :)

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Better screen, better camera and waterproof as mentioned above me.
But OP3 is a lot faster, doesn't have slowdowns, better battery life (at least in my use case scenario), better fingerprint scanner and build quality (imho of course).

You pick what you want more, and if S7 is worth almost double :)

Absolutely agree on this!!

I would add dash charge as a big plus going to the OP3, it is just awesome and changed the way I charge my smartphones completely.

Last edited:

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
So 3.2.6 OTA rolling out today, addressing some of the bugs.

Here are some highlights:

Optimized voice call quality of some IM applications.
Improved adaptive brightness performance
Improved camera qualityFixed occasional green/yellow issue
Optimized white balance
Improved 1080p video recordingAddressed some bluetooth connection problems for vehicles
Allows third party application to modify ringtone
Optimized battery consumption when scrolling
Optimized touch accuracy when playing games
Added DozeMode switch in Developer options
Added PocketMode switch in Display settings

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/oxygenos-3-2-6-mm-ota-for-oneplus

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
Just picked up one of these a couple of days ago. Managed to sell my old iPhone 6S Plus for more than this phone cost. Android does take some getting used to but I'm starting to warm to it now. It does pretty much everything iPhone does. Just wish they had an imessage equivalent. Great phone for the money.

Reactions: Sensamic

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Just picked up one of these a couple of days ago. Managed to sell my old iPhone 6S Plus for more than this phone cost. Android does take some getting used to but I'm starting to warm to it now. It does pretty much everything iPhone does. Just wish they had an imessage equivalent. Great phone for the money.

How is the screen?

hailst0rm

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2008
How is the screen?

Resolution is fine on it. It looks every bit as sharp as the iPhone 6S Plus that I've come from. My only gripe is the colours. At it's default all the colours look way too oversaturated. Take the reddit icon for example, the orange looks luminous.

There is a sRGB mode hidden in developer options. This seems to have the opposite effect on the screen. Colours look muted and whites look ever so slightly yellow. In the end I stuck with the default mode but just adjusted the colour balance all the way to the right in display settings. It's not perfect but I'm happy enough with it.

Anandtech go into more detail: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10445/revisiting-the-oneplus-3/2

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
6GB of ram/64GB storage/Snapdragon 820 just behind the 821 in Pixel iirc 5.5" AMOLED screen (albeit 1080p but OK), 30 minutes charge for 7 hours, USB-C, decent camera,

and $399 price, this seems like best android play?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
6GB of ram/64GB storage/Snapdragon 820 just behind the 821 in Pixel iirc 5.5" AMOLED screen (albeit 1080p but OK), 30 minutes charge for 7 hours, USB-C, decent camera,

and $399 price, this seems like best android play?

I think the Honor 8 gives it a good run for its money.

It has 4gb ram, but because it doesn't have an artificial limiter applied it can actually utilise the whole of that 4gb. Even with latest updates the OP3 doesn't utilise it's full 6gb, with a limiter that is akin to other 3gb devices.

The Kirin 950 benchmarks near identically to the Exynos in the S7/S7e/Note 7

1080p LCD - but one that is excellent. (As good as Apple's for viewing angles and outdoor visibility). The pentile array of the 1080p OP3 means text is not as sharp as it was on the OP2 which was LCD and sadly the OP3 has poor outdoor visibility in direct sunlight.

Fast charging, USB C, great camera carried over from the Huawei P9 with dual 12mp.

Great battery life with 5-6 hours SOT and one of the best standby times with little drain in standby i have tested on any android.

It too $399 for €32gb but with MicroSD or $449 for 64gb

So whilst the OP3 is s fantastic device for its price, it certainly isn't the only device that is fantastic in that price hemisphere, to declare it the best.

Mid-range on Android in 2016 really upped the game.

The OP3, ZTE Axon, Honor 8 are testament to how overpriced our "brand" manufacturers flagship devices have skyrocketed too.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007

It has 4gb ram, but because it doesn't have an artificial limiter applied it can actually utilise the whole of that 4gb. Even with latest updates the OP3 doesn't utilise it's full 6gb, with a limiter that is akin to other 3gb devices.

1080p LCD - but one that is excellent. (As good as Apple's for viewing angles and outdoor visibility). The pentile array of the 1080p OP3 means text is not as sharp as it was on the OP2 which was LCD and sadly the OP3 has poor outdoor visibility in direct sunlight.

Fast charging, USB C, great camera carried over from the Huawei P9 with dual 12mp.

Great battery life with 5-6 hours SOT and one of the best standby times with little drain in standby i have tested on any android.

So whilst the OP3 is s fantastic device for its price, it certainly isn't the only device that is fantastic in that price hemisphere, to declare it the best.

The OP3, ZTE Axon, Honor 8 are testament to how overpriced our "brand" manufacturers flagship devices have skyrocketed too.

i see thanks for clarifying,

would u say 6P or one plus 3 assuming one could find a 6p for a good price?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

If you could get a Nexus 6P for a good price then I would choose that. Faster updates and more reliable updates directly from Google and the 6P has great speakers, performance is great despite being an 810, in day to say use you'll be likely unable to see a tangible difference bar split second loading of apps. But it's the software support that would push me moreover than anything else.

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland

Sounds quite enticing. How does the camera compare to iPhone and S7 cameras especially in low light?

In addition, I've read some less than stellar reviews of the software, is it any good or is at least a different launcher required?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sounds quite enticing. How does the camera compare to iPhone and S7 cameras especially in low light?

In addition, I've read some less than stellar reviews of the software, is it any good or is at least a different launcher required?
See my thread - I added samples between it and the ip7 & S7 and low light test. Low light tbh for me is hit or miss on all of them, it's why normally I would never think of taking low light photos on any smartphone camera. In day to day light they are all very comparable.

I actually like the software. I was expecting this horrendous mess of an OS but actually it's surprised me. Everything is super fast, and if you really want the app drawer you can install a third party launcher or the updated EMUI 5.0 which is due soon will give the option to have the app drawer natively and replaces the notification pull down with something more stock android like.

The stock apps have surprised me by their quality. The weather, clock apps and music app for example are really well designed and have great aesthetics.

Yes there is an iOS'ness aesthetically with the stock theme to EMUI 4.1, but there are plenty of themes on XDA to give you a more stock android looking device and notification panel and settings.

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013

I owned Nexus 6p, and I owned 2x OP3. Have one at the moment. Nexus 6p has a better screen, speakers and camera. OP3 is way better performance wise, better build quality, better battery, and simply way better allrounder. IMHO of course.

I have tried almost every flagship device this year (note 7 excluded), and IMHO, they really did a great job on OP3. I simply can't justify any other device other then OP3. I was/am a great critic of OnePlus, but with OP3 they really did a great job.

Rooting is a kids game on this device, so do it if u purchase one. Edit buidprops for unlocking full potential of the device, test out custom rom/kernel and you will enjoy the device even more.

Reactions: Fireblade

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I know two people who got it this year, and they absolutely love it. Especially for the price.

For me, camera is too important and I know will generally plump for whoever has the best camera alongside generally being a good phone. So Samsung it is.

But the OP3 is a great phone, they've come a long way in 2 years and are a genuine alternative. Good news for the marketplace.

Reactions: MRU and spriter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.