Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Construction on Apple's second campus in Cupertino is continuing at a steady pace, as seen in a new aerial video captured by drone pilot Duncan Sinfield and shared with MacRumors.

Shot earlier today, Sinfield's video offers a detailed look at the progress Apple has made since he shot his last video on August 1, and it gives details on the different buildings Apple is constructing. Sinfield's also cleverly overlaid some of Steve Jobs' original commentary on the campus, making this video update well worth watching.

Work on the ring-shaped main building is continuing, as is construction on a multi-level underground parking structure. A secondary parking lot at the west of the campus is nearly finished, the auditorium has gained interior walls, and construction workers have also made progress on the Tantau development, housing research facilities.

When finished, the second Apple campus will feature a huge 2.8 million square foot ring-shaped main building, an underground parking lot, a 100,000 square foot fitness center, a 120,000 square foot auditorium for hosting events, and a dedicated visitor's center complete with an observation deck, cafe, and Apple Store.

Apple continues to be on track to complete construction on the campus at the end of 2016.

Article Link: Ongoing Apple Campus 2 Progress Shown in High-Quality Aerial Video

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana
After seeing the video, I'm not sure how employees are expected to go from a meeting on floor 4 on one side of the building to floor 2 on the opposite side. It looks like it would take 20 minutes just to make the walk.

Reactions: Apples n' Stone

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
After seeing the video, I'm not sure how employees are expected to go from a meeting on floor 4 on one side of the building to floor 2 on the opposite side. It looks like it would take 20 minutes just to make the walk.
The beauty of a circle is that if you go across the diameter, the distance is about 2/3.14159266 the distance of the perimeter. To go around the perimeter would be irrational.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

Another MR article:
The company also plans to have huge amounts of open space, which will be accompanied by both fruit and shade trees, and commute alternatives will see 15,000 Cupertino employees using biofuel buses, public transit, bikes, and more instead of cars.
A twenty minute walk can be a couple minute bike-ride, especially on manufactured terrain. In any case, the elevator rides will be short in such a stout building. ;)

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Captain Kilt, I think his name was, and he was Scottish. :rolleyes:

Wait, I thought it was Captain Crunch?

"Second star to the right. And straight on 'till morning, me hearties!"

B005EVAH30LargeOriginal.jpg

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Are the render shots and Steve Jobs clips really necessary? Anyone watching this will know about the project already.
Maybe not. I mean, we all know about it. But the average viewer might not. I really like how he integrated Jobs' descriptions with what we were seeing. It's the best Apple campus video I've seen so far.

I'm amazed at how quickly this massive project is all coming together. I didn't realize they even have a concrete production facility on-site! There's a state university near me that's adding a single three-story science building. It's less than the length of a football field and half as wide. It's going to take them three years to complete it. At my own school, a building renovation is slated to take two years. Yet this huge Apple campus is probably going to be nearly complete before any of those other much smaller projects.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

groovyd

Suspended
Jun 24, 2013
Atlanta

is why they invented facetime first

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Segways or maybe some internal movable walkways? I'm sure they have it figured out.

If you take the complexity of The Pentagon into mind, the average person can get from any location of the building to the opposite side in around seven minutes. Considering there's five rings four floors, and two below ground (basement and mezzanine)

I'm sure with modern architecture, things are well sorted out and far less complex.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Maybe don't schedule (or accept/attend) back-to-back meetings that are so far from one another? It's called planning ahead. You know, like in college when you shouldn't schedule two classes one after another halfway across campus...

As an aside, I'm sure there are plenty of meeting rooms for all teams in each 'quadrant' of the building for this not to be a problem.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Maybe don't schedule (or accept/attend) back-to-back meetings that are so far from one another? It's called planning ahead. You know, like in college when you shouldn't schedule two classes one after another halfway across campus...

As an aside, I'm sure there are plenty of meeting rooms for all teams in each 'quadrant' of the building for this not to be a problem.
The franklin covey people figured that it took 10 minutes to get from one side of their campus to another, with restroom beaks and snacks to get (at separate places), so their meetings start at the top of the hour and must end at 50 minutes to the top of the hour.
I think if they take so much care in designing their products, that can translate into designing a building.

Yuthopia

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2015

Usually we design the office so that if a certain group of employees need to see each other often, they should be placed near each other. If not, they can be 30-100 miles away, it should not matter.

Reactions: doelcm82
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.