Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I started this thread, obviously, to discuss the word of the day, but more importantly to help me, and hopefully others, to remember the damn word. I find that most of the time I just read the word, and it's meaning but never remember it. Through this thread we can discuss anything, currents events, personal stories, current mood, etc. but you have to use the word of the day. That way we'll read it in context to grasp the meaning and proper usage of the word. You could also talk about the word itself, correct others if they used it wrong, and discuss pronunciation and spelling.

Participate if you'd like. Maybe we'll learn something new everyday. And if you already know the word very well, you can help others.

Here are some links to Word of the Day Widgets that are available:
Widget 1

Widget 2

Widget 3

I use Widget 1 cause it has the definition and a sentence using it. The first 2 widgets use the word from Dictionary.com and the third one uses words from multiple sites. I think I'll keep this thread to just one word from dictionary.com.

So here's the first word of the day:

supposititious
\suh-poz-uh-TISH-uhs\, adjective:
1. Fraudulently substituted for something else; not being what it purports to be; not genuine; spurious; counterfeit.
2. Hypothetical; supposed.

It has been rumored that the Microsoft Zune was mistaken for a supposititious iPod at the airport. :D

When I first looked at this word, I didn't recognize it at all. I've always heard it as "super" stitious, and I learned another meaning for the word. I think I used it correctly...

Be sure to underline and/or bold the word of the day, and try use it in a manner that it is part of a discussion forum unlike my sentence.

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Abstract said:
How rather cromulent of you to start a thread like this. ;)

Suggesting cromulence on the OP's part makes your post reek of supposititiousness.

Don't you want to embiggen yourself? :p

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
thedude110 said:
Suggesting cromulence on the OP's part makes your post reek of supposititiousness.

Don't you want to embiggen yourself? :p

Atleast one person got the point of the thread. Embiggen people!

renege \rih-NIG; -NEG\, intransitive verb:
To go back on a promise or commitment.

It doesn't seem like people are taking a liking to my thread but I'm not going to renege on the purposes of this thread....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
People can't even use or spell average, common words properly and you want them to learn something difficult?

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.