Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewickedmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
Well last night I was bored, so keeping in mind its almost impossible to do anything fatal to osx, I decided to explore and look around a little bit. I came across a folder called "Menu Extras" and in it i found a bunch of files with things like "eject.menu, ichat.menu, etc" I clicked on a few and found that they were quite usefull! Like the iChat one let me log on to iChat from the menu bar and the display one let me change the resolution/size of the screen from the menu bar. But then I came across one that said "battery.menu" This confused me because, well, I have an iMac and those usualy don't have batterys so curiousity made me click it. Now I have a battery icon stuck in my menu bar which automaticly pops up upon log in and can't be quit. Sigh, does anyone know of any way that I can get rid of this menu extra without deleting the actual menu extra file? I'd like to make it go away but i don't really want to delete the file cus well it wasn't its fault :p . Now I know to be a little more careful and think things threw while I explore osx :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help you can offer

P.s - I was thinking that maybe there might be a way I can use the terminal to make it go away but uhm I'm not fluent in whatever the terminal speaks so I don't want to say "make the battery menu bar extra go away" and have it get lost in translation and turn out deleting the menu bar :eek: :D ;)

Yes I know I am pretty dumb yeah yeah yeah bla bla please only post help I already feel bad enough :(

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
This is a shot in the dark:
Try command-dragging the icon off of the menubar, to the desktop.
It'll probably go "poof"and disappear, but I'm not sure if this will actually disable the function.

GL

thewickedmusic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2004
oooo!

Oh man thank you thank you thank you soooooo much! I thought I was screwed for a moment there :p

ps Thhhhaaaannnnnkkk yyyyooouuuuu :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.