open firmware problem installing to g4 imac

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by inscrewtable, Oct 9, 2010.

1. macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2010
    I have searched the web and tried suggested pram reset but it did not work. I am trying to load up tiger onto a 15" g4 800MHz imac. I have tried a few different ways to install but it keeps giving me the open firmware screen after I hear it searching for the DVD to boot from. The DVD loads on the desktop OK and I can click the 'install' button where it then tries to restart, and I have also set the startup disk to start up from osx on the dvd but both won't work.

I have checked on the apple support site and it appears that this model does not need a firmware update. I did read somewhere that a security update could cause these sorts of issues but I don't know if that is the case here.

Is there anything else anyone may suggest I try?

I don't know if this is relevant but there is one 512mb ram module in one of the slots and one slot is empty
  2. macrumors newbie

Oct 8, 2010
    Check the disc integrity. The first set of blocks should be either hfs or hfs+ with a boot loader.
    I'm speaking from Linux/BSD experience but this next part may help.
    If possible, try formatting a usb key with the first partition being hfs for the boot loader- mac-fdisk is what I used don't know the MacOS equivalent- with the install being on a fat32 partition.

If you're not sure, then research before you commit.