Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

17luv

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Hello! I have some Word Perfect (I think) files extenion .wps that I wanted to open but can't get NeoOffice or the default text editor on my mac to open them. Anyone know of work arounds? Unfortunately too the trial on the Office suit has expired so can't even get the trial version of Word to convert! Help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
.wps is an MS Works file -- I know, because WordPerfect files were the freaking bane of my freaking existence for a bit.

Your best solution is probably MacLinkPlus, though I'm not sure it still comes with a free trial.

If this doesn't work, you may want to turn to File Juicer, which does come with a free trial.

Alternatively, you could email it to a Windows enabled friend and ask them to open and resave as a .txt or a .rtf

And this is just a taste of the docx madness ...

:p

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
i used WordPerfect on my WinXP machine before i got the Mac and i had to convert everything to Word files or PDFs. luckily it's very simple and i didn't have any problems - but it still took me about an entire afternoon. (i didn't want to do a mass conversion with some sort of conversion utility because i was also cleaning out and deleting old files.)

.wps is not WordPerfect. will it work if you open in TextEdit...?

17luv

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Thanks all for the help! Sorry about the misnaming of the program haha trying to forget my window days (-_-" really the short term memory is real short) Thanks the File Juicer was able to extract a lot,not all but quite a bit. Unfortunately, tried TextEdit and it won't even touch the files, just gives out an error message.

d wade

macrumors 65816
Jun 27, 2006
Boca Raton, FL
its not word perfect stuff

.wps is not WordPerfect.

i'm sorry but you two are dead wrong. YES .wps is Word Perfect

I had a group project for school, and my partner sent me her assignment via email. Well, i saved it and could not open it because it was this strange .wps file.

I called her to find out what she used, and she said Word Perfect. Then other members sent me their parts, in .wps format. All used Word Perfect.

To the original poster, sorry that i do not have an answer (i would like to know as well) -- but i did have to correct the untrue responses about .wps not being word perfect. didnt want you to get confused

CLIFF NOTES: .wps = word perfect

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Nyet!

WordPerfect files are .wpd (and, in a simpler, DOSsier time, .wp) -- do a quick google search and you'll see.

Microsoft Works = .wps

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Possible, but I don't think so. There are "WordPerfect Signed Entrusted Files" (something like that), but it's definitely not the default file format.

Check out what the WordPerfect folks have to say here and here, anyway.

Regardless, odds are pretty strong the OP is working with a Works document.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
solution

Hi all,

Some friend recommended this site here: http://zamzar.com/

which converts all sorts of files from one format to the other. So far it's free and hasn't failed me once in getting movies from WMV to something a bit more Apple-friendly :)
It also works with sound files, text files, images, etc.

Enjoy.

Nuno

17luv

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2006
Haha thanks all, didn't mean to start a debate. To be honest it has been so long but I think I used Microsoft Works if it was the one that came with the Windows OS. It could have been Word Perfect though, I type without regard for in what lol but learning rtf/pdfs are usually my friends. Unfortunately though Zamzar doesn't offer support for wps just yet.

Another quick question for you file format gurus! I have a really old file created on a Windows machine when the OS was really ugly, maybe early to mid 90's and would like to open it, unfortunately it is password protected. I know the password, but no longer have anything to open it with. Any suggestions? File Juicer tried but couldn't and so did Word a couple years ago. I have kept the file in hopes ONE day I could get it open and readable! Suggestions would be appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.