Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>font antialiasing

what does that do anyways?

the icons aren't so bad... I dislike the advertisements personally, though in paid mode, I'm sure they go away...

FattyMembrane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2002
bat country
that looks absolutely hideous. i never thought i'd say this, but IE probably adheres to the interface guidelines better than that new version of opera does. and no font anti-aliasing? this is'nt 1997, we expect products to take advantage of all the new goodies and preferably not take up half the screen with a butt-ugly toolbar.

mox358

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2002
Indiana
i'm just glad they put tabbed browsing in the mac version. After using a pc version of opera, the mac version feels useless without the tabs - opera invented tab browsing (or popularized it) if i'm not mistaken.

I also read the story on /. a while back about them rewriting their rendering engine for the next versions. ( 7 on pc and 6 on mac) so that might explain the "blazing speed" comment.

Alas, I still fear we'll have to wait for IE6 : mac or Apple's Chimera solution before we get a speed, accurate browser.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by big
>font antialiasing

what does that do anyways?

the icons aren't so bad... I dislike the advertisements personally, though in paid mode, I'm sure they go away...

smooths the fonts to look more appealing to the eyes and cause less strain cause it makes them bigger

scem0

macrumors 604
Jul 16, 2002
back in NYC!
It looks nice...

I cant wait for it to come out. I like testing browsers but I cant believe that it could be faster then Chimera. It seems like Chimera is as fast as browsers come, but I hope I am proven wrong on this. I look forward to testing it.

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
Originally posted by mox358
i'm just glad they put tabbed browsing in the mac version. After using a pc version of opera, the mac version feels useless without the tabs - opera invented tab browsing (or popularized it) if i'm not mistaken.

I also read the story on /. a while back about them rewriting their rendering engine for the next versions. ( 7 on pc and 6 on mac) so that might explain the "blazing speed" comment.

Alas, I still fear we'll have to wait for IE6 : mac or Apple's Chimera solution before we get a speed, accurate browser.

chimera IS speedy and accurate. thats the whole advantage of the mozilla engine.

gopher

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2002
Maryland, USA
Opera better fix their large php page reading ability. Try loading any software review on Versiontracker with over 100 reviews. It takes long enough with Omniweb, it takes 4 times longer with Opera. You watch while Opera takes about 1/k every 5 seconds on a 500k file. And this on broadband! Opera's speed is too slow on large files. And forget it if you try and load a large Flash animation like http://www.hal-tec.com/

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
I guess this'll be cool. Opera was my preferred browser when i was using my peecee. It was pretty fast, but not as fast as omniweb or chimera on my mac.

100 POSTS!!!!! YAY

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
used it, still sucks.

dont get me wrong, its great and i still use it on my pc with linux. but it just plain sucks on the mac platform. not because its any different, but because the browsers are so much better. especially chimera.

deleted it, and chimera is still the only browser on my mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.