Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania
While the article jumps the gun, it's not out of bounds to say that competitors are having a rough time getting their products into the store.

quick5pnt0

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2008
You mean people made stuff up to make Apple look bad?

go figure! :rolleyes:

Yea especially since you don't need to make things up to make Apple look bad. :D

Lets face it, its not like Apple is going to allow Opera on the app store regardless of java/javascript/flash. They've made it clear that they aren't going to allow anything that is similar to what comes with the phone/touch, and since it already comes with a browser they aren't going to allow Opera. They can use whatever excuses they want but the reality is that Apple is trying to block their competition from doing business. If it truly had to do with not allowing apps that were similar to what is already on the phone then they would have rejected various apps that are in the app store there today.

BTW Isn't this what got Microsoft in trouble? I smell a lawsuit coming in the future.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
Microsoft's tactics and so called monopoly seems like it will be nothing in comparison with what Apple is doing and going for.
An exaggeration. Big time. This always happens when we get iPhone 'flaps'.

1. daringfireball.net is more often than not an apology site for Apple.
Because I'm sure you're been reading it for longer than I have I'm surprised you've come to that conclusion. After years of reading it almost daily it's quite amazing how different our respective opinions of that site are.

Well I'm hoping they release Opera Mobile which isn't coded in Java and it has built-in Flash Lite 3.
Anything could happen but there's no way Apple would allow Flash in any form. Thank goodness IMO.

SAFARI CRASHES ALL THE TIME
I keep hearing conflicting evidence on this one. Bizarre.

And this does shy me away from buying into that manicured Apple garden. But alas it is their garden, and despite what I may think, they can do as they please.
Very well put. IMHO of course. :)

sayagain

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2007
Not sure if this was posted earlier:

It works exactly like SkyFIre (http://www.skyfire.com). I have this running on my Nokia E71 phone, this is also available for Windows Mobile. It works prety fast, can render any webpage, just like a PC/Mac browser would, however, the rendering is external at a proxy server. When you load a website, it loads instantly, when you zoom-in, you notice the diethering and on-the-fly sharpening, and immediately note its a live-image. When you click something, you notice it just sent the coordinates(X.Y.) clicked over to the server, can't explain how - you'll know it when you see it.

The browsing experience, despite being based on a live-image, is very much alive and full. You do not notice anything on Youtube.com for example, runs extremely fast.

The privacy concerns for this solution, however, is significant. You are required to trust another party to preserve your privacy, other than your directly contracted ISP, and the websites you visit.

Pikemann Urge

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2007
melbourne.au
For those interested:

So I went back to Mr. von Tetzchner for more details. He said that the development of the iPhone browser was more an “internal project” of some engineers than a product that management was committed to introducing. Indeed, development was halted after the company looked at the details of the license agreement in Apple’s software development kit and realized that it would not be permitted.

“We stopped the work because of the prohibitive license,” Mr. von Tetzchner wrote in an e-mail message.
From here:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/11/03/why-you-will-not-see-opera-on-your-iphone/

Maybe the reactionaries here would like to take Opera to court to force them to develop the browser for submission?

liptonlover

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
If you had actually read the article, instead of churning out more "Apple is teh new Micro$oft" garbage, you would be aware of the fact that Opera Mini hasn't even been submitted to the Apple store - did the title "Opera Mini Not Rejected" not give you any clues?

In reality it's people like you who are hurting Apples rep by posting this kind of nonsense without being in full possession of the facts. Go on, tell us how Apple are about to be prosecuted out of existence by the EU, I don't think any armchair lawyers have mentioned that in this thread yet.

I was talking about apps being rejected in general, that's why after those points I made I said "As for another browser,......" those first points were a side thing, kinda unrelated.
And I wasn't trying "churning out more 'Apple is teh new Micro$oft' garbage". I was simply wondering about something. I'll have you know I'm an *almost* fanboy :apple:

Apple doesn't want to be to much dependent on 3P software it does not control, another browser, router, iTunes lookalike or Flash could become to important for the platform. These company's would then have to much power over Apple's product or damage its reputation with bad software updates (Flash on PPC macs is horrible), a nice app now can be a nightmare for Apple in 5 years.
That makes sense, thank you.

plings

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
Yeah, they could release, um, the iPhone's Mobile Safari which gets a 74/100
Opera Mobile 9.5 gets 76/100 (or more). And Opera Mobile is actually a better browser than Safari for the iPhone in my experience. Now, Opera Mobile + Opera Mini compression, that would be just awesome. The smoothness and features of Opera Mobile, and the compression of Opera Mini... drool...

Anyone else find plings' post ever so enlightening? :rolleyes:
Aww, did I dare to criticize Apple? :(

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
Opera Mobile 9.5 gets 76/100 (or more). And Opera Mobile is actually a better browser than Safari for the iPhone in my experience. Now, Opera Mobile + Opera Mini compression, that would be just awesome. The smoothness and features of Opera Mobile, and the compression of Opera Mini... drool...

It's not fair to compare the released version of Mobile Safari with the beta version of Opera Mobile. I wonder what the 2.2 beta of Mobile Safari scores?

I'm not sure "compression" is what gives Opera Mobile an edge. You can't really compress the web more than it already is. Unless a moron is running your web server, all the text is gzipped and all the images are in compressed formats. The only advantage Opera Mini gives you is decreasing the number of requests you make (which does give you a significant speed boost). Instead of 8 or 9 requests, you download 1 big binary file.

All that said, it excites me that very soon there will be a whole army of mobile browsers out there that score very well on Acid3. As a web developer ... drool...

trnava

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
Trnava
I'm using frequently Opera Mini on my Win CE smartphone and it rocks! It is shame the same program cannot run on iPhone (which rock also) :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.