Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwilj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need a quick opinion....
How much could I get for:

4th Gen iPod (I belive it is 4th gen, it is scroll wheel w/out color) Edit: 20GB - sorry i forgot this
* 9 months old - bought in Feb.
* Includes Apple Protection plan
* White Leather Case by7 Incase
* Very good conditon - I have treated it well

I may sell it to a friend/co-worker and I don't want to rip them off, but also don't want to loose too much money on it. What do you think is a fair price?

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
schwilj said:
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place for this, but I need a quick opinion....
How much could I get for:

4th Gen iPod (I belive it is 4th gen, it is croll wheel w/out color)
* 9 months old - bought in Feb.
* Includes Apple Protection plan
* White Leather Case
* Very good conditon - I have treated it well

I may sell it to a friend/co-worker and I don't want to rip them off, but also don't want to loose too much money on it. What do you think is a fair price?

I would say maybe $300-400 if you transfer the protection plan.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
iHateWindows said:
I would say maybe $300-400 if you transfer the protection plan.
$300-$400 might be more than retail for those items depending on the capacity of the iPod. Those prices are nuts - you'd be way better off buying a new iPod.

If this was a 20 GB unit I would think $150 would be fair, if it is a 40 GB unit, then maybe $200. You have to remember that for $300 you can now get a slimmer 30 GB brand new 5th gen. iPod with a larger, color screen that can display photos and play video. You may even have to go a bit lower with the new 5G iPods out.

feakbeak

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2003
Michigan
MacTruck said:
How can it be 4th gen without color? They all had color except the U2 and mini.
Nope, the 4th gen iPods were originally introduced in August of 2004 with no color screen, but they had the click wheel. The iPod Photo models came out a couple months later and then this past summer those lines were merged into the iPod with color screen, or whatever they called it... they were all 4th gen though.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
feakbeak said:
Nope, the 4th gen iPods were originally introduced in August of 2004 with no color screen, but they had the click wheel. The iPod Photo models came out a couple months later and then this past summer those lines were merged into the iPod with color screen, or whatever they called it... they were all 4th gen though.

I see, so whats the capacity then?

schwilj

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
It's 20GB. And the guy ended up buying a nano. I may have another friend who may want to buy it. But I also thought of just getting a new one for me and giving it to my folks, if they could figure out how to use it.

iHateWindows

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2005
schwilj said:
It's 20GB. And the guy ended up buying a nano. I may have another friend who may want to buy it. But I also thought of just getting a new one for me and giving it to my folks, if they could figure out how to use it.

Oh, well in that case, $150-$200. I assumend you had the 40 GB.

I once had the exact same model, but I outgrew it and gave it to my mom (I am not a momma's boy, I repeat: I AM NOT A MOMMA'S BOY :p)

darwen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2005
California, US
I just sold a 3G 20gb iPod on eBay for $154.

I noticed a trend with other auctions though. If the page was formatted well people could get a lot of money!

5G (NEW) $295-$305
5G - (USED) $290-$300
4G color - $225-$300
4G b&w - $175-$225
3G b&w - $125-$200

The trend I noticed that they were selling at retail and every update back lost about $50 on the lowest of the models (ie - on the 5G...30gig is lowest 60gig is highest). The highest of the models usually added $25. An added bonus (like cases) really only mattered if competing auctions didn't have it, cases were like tie breakers.

Anyway... that was just my observation.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
i used to have a 20gb b/w 4th gen sold it for 175 a while back
it yours is 40gb it probally worth that now (ide be intersted in buying it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.