Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
I've been looking for an LCD panel to go with a new PowerMac. I had been looking at panels from NEC and Viewsonic, but one point made me come back to an Apple Store to look at the 17-inch Studio Display: support. I had a router fail several days ago, and discovered how much I did not matter to the manufacturer. In order to obtain a replacement router, I was informed that it will take at least two to three weeks before I will receive the replacement under warranty. This was after I got the runaround from the support person on the telephone. I've had problems with Apple hardware before, and I have been very impressed by the speed with which the Apple Geniuses replace faulty parts. I had to send my PowerBook away to Apple because its ATI graphics chip failed, and I had it back in working order within three days. With the latest price drop, the Apple Studio Display seems like a great choice. Only one thing disappointed me: at 1280 x 1024 resolution, the panel looked sharp, but I noticed that the display turned fuzzy under every other resolution. Has anyone else noticed this? Also, what does it take to get the Apple panel to work with other graphics cards with DVI connectors? I'm not particularly happy about the lack of hardware-based controls for brightness, contrast, and other normal options. Should I stop worrying and get it, or are there other companies offering a better monitor with a level of support that is comparable to Apple?

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
About it looking fuzzy at lower resolutions, I believe that most LCDs look much worse when they are not under they highest resolution. Not sure about your other questions though.

I have the 17" Studio, it's great. :)

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
I use the 17" studio and think it's the best monitor I've ever used. That being said, check out the ForMac 17. I think it's reviewed in a recent MacAddict. I wouldn't mess with anything you haven't ACTAULLY seen in person, AND it has a good review/track record. You have to look at the thing 100% of the time, right? So get a good one even if it's a hundred more.

hugemullens

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2002
Michigan
No LCD looks good at anything but its native resolution. I have a 17 inch formac, but with the recent price cuts the 17 apple display seems to be a great buy. Just remember its ADC connector, so if you plan to hook it up via DVI you need a expensive adapter. But i would definelty reccomend the studio display, just see if you can get one in a store and get them to open the box and hook it up before you buy, that way you can check for dead pixels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.