Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
I wanted a 4.7 inch because I feel like it's the "Goldie Locks" for me. I don't really play games or anything that would warrant the need for a screen as large as the 5.5. So something like this would kind of piss me off because it's almost like punishing the user for not wanting a huge screen. I don't want a 4.7 to save money, I want it because I know for a FACT the 5.5 would be too large for everyday use, and my pockets.

SuprUsrStan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
The 5.5 version of the phone is not a "premium" version of the phone. It doesn't make sense to exclude this feature for people who want a smaller phone.

However, I can see them only offering this on the 32GB or 64GB versions of both the 4.7 inch and 5.5 inch. That makes more sense.

engg2000

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Comment, NO
Not true

This prediction makes no sense...both will have OIS.

5S did well, 5C failed. Apple knows the consumer wants the best specs.

They're trying to come up with a 2nd offering but they can't make the difference between the two phones too different.

The 4.7 is going to be the mainstream phone while the 5.5" will be the phone with less interest. They won't make the mainstream phone have worse specs...they know people will hold out for next years 6s.
They won't risk it.
engg2000

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
If the 5.5 has OIS, I hope the 4.7 has it too... that would be a bummer if not. Presumably OIS would make it onto the 4.7 the following year, but that's too late...

dalbng

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2013
why would they do this with the 4.7 and 5.5 iPhones when they don't do this with the 7.9 and 9.7 iPads (i'm referring to significant feature differences)?

doesn't make sense.

My thoughts exactly. iPad Air and iPad mini only differ in screen size, everything else is the same (SoC, resolution, storage sizes, cameras, connectivity...)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
If it's the same width...Why would it take more space. If it did...It would be a taller lense. But it wouldn't make sense if it's the same width.

The early leaks showed a protruding camera on the larger version.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
unlikely to happen. Apple won't wont to differentiate more than just screen size. And no, 4.7 won't be the C model as that is just plain stupid. 5.5 is an option for those who want it, nothing more. Apple won't be forcing people to get 5.5 by putting the best hardware there. 4.7 & 5.5 will be mostly identical. This is business model for Apple, always was and always will be. Yes, there might be (and probably will be) C model but we will still have those 2 above in same hardware specs.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
Can't believe people are complaining about this....

The 4.7" model is going to be the "C" model and the 5.5" is going to be the premium model. It's funny because people never complained over the lack of Touch ID in the 5c.

What I can't believe is how a wildly simply concept escaped you.

5C and 5S were the same size phone. You chose simply based on the features you want. This is not the case with the iPhone 6 IF this rumor is true. They are two different sized phones, which essentially means anyone who wants a full featured iPhone 6 is limited to carrying around a phablet.

If OIS costs $4 then simply increase the price of the phone by $4. Heck, increase it by $10 for that matter. I'll gladly pay an extra $10 that I would have otherwise had to pay for the 4.7" and let Apple have their 250% profit margin on OIS if that's what it takes from being forced to buy a phone that's larger than I'd like.

SmoMo

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2011
prime?

Has anyone here actually tried to buy 40 million of anything recently?
I'm not at all sure why people say 'such and such thing costs $4' because that price is totally dependent on how many you buy, and if like in this case other manufacturers want the same parts, how much your competitors are offering for the same supply.

If that's not complicated enough already then how about when Apple pays part of the money up front, many months earlier, so the company can purchase extra manufacturing equipment to produce a greater supply.

When people say 'OIS costs $4' I imagine time cook typing "tiny low power OIS unit" into amazon.com , then clicking the + button 40 million times, wiping the sweat from his brow, and then hitting the take me to checkout button.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland

The 4.7" model is going to be the "C" model and the 5.5" is going to be the premium model. It's funny because people never complained over the lack of Touch ID in the 5c.

Really doesn't make any sense either. Have people forgotten that as popular as the larger phones have gotten, the most popular phone by model is still the iPhone 5S/5, which all carry a 4 inch screen? Apple want to get a greater audience, but simply doing that by only introducing a top of the line phone at only 5.5 inches would only upset the large marketshare that doesn't want a phablet.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
They probably figure most people will stick with the 4.7 as enough of a size increase.

But they want to sell lots of the 5.5, so more carrot dangling.

MA-86

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2013
Bollocks, there will be no difference whatsoever between 4.7 and 5.5 apart from the screen size, just like there is no hardware difference between iPad Air and iPad Mini Retina.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Why not? OIS takes more space, the 5.5" is bigger than the 4.7".

arn

Just doesn't really make sense in terms of their product line.

The early leaks showed a protruding camera on the larger version.

I still find it very hard that Apple would compromise their design language for the iPhone by introducing something that isn't symmetrical. Obviously I'm aware of the latest iPod touch supporting that, but seeing as how that only accounts for 1% of their revenue (double check that) and really is a device for a specific audience, I just don't buy it yet.

whistler222

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I guess not many people understands procurement / 'cost premium'..
a $4-5 dollar cost premium is MASSIVE in manufacturing.

companies have full time purchasing folks who spend their days trying to save pennies off certain raw material costs..

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Lets say Apple sells 75 million iPhone 6 4.7" models in 2014-15. It is an additional cost of 375 million USD for them. Not very cheap.

(Compare this to Nokia's $169 million profit in all of 2013.)

And that's what's most important to Joe Non Stock Owning Consumer, a few hundred million more in the Apple treasure chest instead of a better product for himself. :p

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I really hope the 5.5 inch iPhone is not a 'premium' version of the iPhone with the 4.7 inch being somewhat inferior. 5.5 inch is just far too large for many people, price is not a consideration I will never buy a phone that large. I'd pay for a more premium version of the 4.7 inch phone if need be.

Hopefully the differences are negligible like the current iPad Air and iPad mini.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK

Well at the time i would've liked a 5C but i wasn't going to spend the money on what was a re shelled 5. I wanted touch ID, so there you go, i had to go for the 5s, so i wouldn't put it past Apple to do this. But I also think it means camera OIS won't be the only differential between the 2.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
Have better autofocus but not on the flagship 4.7? On a device known for it photo excellence?

Does not seem at all likely. Far fetched more like it.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
I wanted a 4.7 inch because I feel like it's the "Goldie Locks" for me. I don't really play games or anything that would warrant the need for a screen as large as the 5.5. So something like this would kind of piss me off because it's almost like punishing the user for not wanting a huge screen. I don't want a 4.7 to save money, I want it because I know for a FACT the 5.5 would be too large for everyday use, and my pockets.

Same here. I tried a SGS3 (forgive me...) and that was to big for one handed typing. The 4.7 will be my next phone, but why should i have to spend what will be a huge amount of money and get the second class camera.

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
Nah... For me this will be just like iPad Air and Mini.. Same specs... Different size.

And... I PREDICT that iPhone 5.5 will run iPad apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.