Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
Does anyone now what is the optimal settings I should use for ripping my cds into iTunes.

I was thinking of using AAC at 320. Is this too high or should I just use 128? I know if I use 320 the file size is much larger, but I have plenty of drive space, so that is not an issue.

I am looking for the best sound quality...:)

Patronus

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2007
Does anyone now what is the optimal settings I should use for ripping my cds into iTunes.

I am looking for the best sound quality...:)

If you are really looking for the best sound quality, use lossless. I use 128, but I am old and lazy and it sounds fine to me.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
Yes, Apple Lossless.

I keep two libraries. Apple Lossless for AirTunes and 192-VBR AAC for my iPod.

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2003
I did a comparison running through a focusrite saffire into shure E4C's of Apple Losless, and 128AAC, and to be honest as hard as I tried and I have picky ears, I could not find any differences.

netdog

macrumors 603
Feb 6, 2006
London
I did a comparison running through a focusrite saffire into shure E4C's of Apple Losless, and 128AAC, and to be honest as hard as I tried and I have picky ears, I could not find any differences.

Straight into EC4s, I can hear the difference between 192VBR AAC and 128 AAC files.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I keep two libraries. Apple Lossless for AirTunes and 192-VBR AAC for my iPod.

I also keep two libraries — one lossless, the other 256AAC — but it's awkward keeping them synchronised, which is why I'm going to try using this instead.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.php?page=1#losslessaccworkflow

Lossless to AAC Workflow (CD->iPod):
• Imports each enabled CD track as an Apple Lossless file
• Makes a converted AAC copy of each imported Lossless file
• Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes.

Lossless to AAC Workflow (iTunes->iPod):
• Makes a converted AAC copy of each Lossless track selected in iTunes
• Adds the AAC file to iPod, deleting the original AAC from iTunes.

Sync Tags of iPod AACs with iTunes Lossless:
• Attempts to sync your choice of Rating, Play Count, and/or Played Date data between corresponding iPod AAC tracks and Apple Lossless tracks in iTunes.

In this way you can keep archived Lossless files on your hard drive, and manageable AAC files on your iPod.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
if you've got or can get, lots of hard drive space...go wild with apple lossless.

i don't right now, but i'm seriously thinking of re-ripping my library. if it doesn't happen now, i'll wait until i have an airtunes gadget and then will re-do.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I just want to hear a real clean digital sound...
Try this: Rip the same handful of tunes multiple times at different bitrates and listen to them comparatively on speakers/headphones that you would normally use. When you can no longer tell the difference between a bitrate and the next one higher up, go with the lower one for all your ripping. Suffice it to say, many people cannot tell the difference between 128kbps and lossless. Not all people, just many people. And 128 takes up a lot less disk space.

vi2867

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2006
Eastvale, CA
I originally ripped my whole cd library at 192, then I had a hard drive space issue on a laptop pc.

Now I have an iMac and plenty of drive space.

I did notice a difference when I reduce to the lower rate, so I know I want something like 160 or higher. I have never tried lossless, I think I am going to try it.

Thanks for all the input.

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
that's only good advice to take if you aren't going to be upgrading your speaker expectations....ever. If you're going to the trouble of putting all of your music on a hard drive, you might as well only do it once.

Now people say they can't hear a difference between 128k and lossless, and that's fine, but there are so many people out there who CAN that it isn't just our imaginations....the sound difference is there. Especially in the highs and lows, and in live music, and in really pristine recordings. If you can't hear the difference, it might just be a limitation of your listening equipment. And your listening equipment might change.

If you want a fair analysis to see if you can hear a difference, find someone with a very good system and listen to lossless through a digital transport (a mac mini or macpro with an optical output, for example). Then do the A-B comparison with a variety of music you really like. I bought several thousand dollars worth of processing/amplification/speakers about a year ago, and my next purchase was a 300 GB hard drive to store all of the CDs I decided to re-rip to Apple Lossless. Took me a couple of weeks, and it was annoying.

But the difference, for me (and my wife, by the way) was obvious.

If you never plan on having a really great sound system in your life, and you don't play music "loud" very often, then compressed music should be fine for you.

But if you're like me, and you really enjoy sitting down for a few minutes when nobody's in the house and cranking up the tunes and having pure, clear, musical bliss wash over your ears, then don't force yourself to live with lossy persussion and strings. There's a real difference.

Maynerd

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
I've read and heard that itunes is a crap encoder for MP3s. This lossless format is interesting for archiving. If I rip my cds into Apple lossless can I take those files and create lower bit rate MP3s or AAC files from them for my Nano? I don't want to rip a cd 2 times.

Also I would probably have two libraries as a result of this. One lossless library and one AAC lower bit rate library. I would want to use the AAC library to load up my nano but when I'm at home I'd like to use the lossless library. What's the best way to be able to switch between the two on the fly?

FleurDuMal

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
London Town
Well, I'm considering re-ripping all my CD collection into lossless when I get an iMac (at some point in the future), and then have another library ripped at 128kbs for my Nano. At the moment I just have one library ripped at 192kbs. If I have my Nano library at 128kbs I think by the time the 16GB Nano comes about I'll be able to fit my whole collection onto it, which'll be nice (even if it is a step down in quality).

Does the iMac have an optical out so I could take advantage of the lossless?

I seem to re-rip my CD collection every summer!

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
This is a personal choice.

Personally, back when I started encoding I went with MP3 for the flexibility. I encoded at 256Kbps. Sounds good enough for me. Also, I like being able to play the MP3 songs on everything out there.

Others prefer lossless encoding.

Others will keep two libraries, which IMHO, is too much work to keep track.

It all depends on what quality you want.

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
I use the iTunes-LAME encoder (with LAME version 3.90.3) at --alt-preset standard. Works well for me, and gives me the flexibility should I ever desire to get a non-iPod device. They should really compile an Intel version...

c-Row

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2006
Germany
btw. What's the file size ratio of Apple Lossless compared to the (even so lossless) original WAV file?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
btw. What's the file size ratio of Apple Lossless compared to the (even so lossless) original WAV file?

Depends on the type of music. The louder and more complex it is — audio-wise — the less it compresses. On average, by about 55-70%, judging by the 500+ lossless CDs on my Mac.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
I also keep two libraries — one lossless, the other 256AAC — but it's awkward keeping them synchronised, which is why I'm going to try using this instead.

http://www.dougscripts.com/itunes/scripts/scripts07.php?page=1#losslessaccworkflow

Fantastic set of scripts but I'm too nervous try them out. I messed about with scripts in iTunes before, big mistake. :p

I didn't see anything about selecting the AAC bit rate of your choice. Can this be done or does it go by the settings you've selected in iTunes?

Again, this is what we need built into iTunes. :)

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I didn't see anything about selecting the AAC bit rate of your choice. Can this be done or does it go by the settings you've selected in iTunes?

Your "Importing" preferences will be in force and your current AAC encoder settings will be used to convert the Lossless file. You might want to double-check these in the "Importing" pane of iTunes Preferences.

That's from the Read Me. I haven't got round to installing it yet... :eek:

All the other scripts I've used from this site have been fine. :)

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Use Max - a far better ripper and encoder than iTunes + will rip into multiple formats at once. A+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.