Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I thought FireFox was plenty fast enough on my C2D iMac, but check out these builds. It can't use the Firefox icon or name since it's technically modified (It uses the blue globe and identifies itself as "BonEcho"), but damn is it fast!

So...optimized build above (which gives you Aqua widgets, by the way), plus:

UNO to unify your interface, plus the Pinstripe Firefox theme (smoothest looking theme on OS X), plus optionally the Stop-Reload extension, plus the ever-essential Tab Mix Plus extension, and you've got the fastest, smoothest, best-looking, most extendable browser on OS X.

Seriously, give the optimized BonEcho with Aqua widgets a try.

EDIT: Also have to throw in another extension I use but temporarily forgot about, Fission. It turns your address bar into a status bar a'la Safari.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Ok now I'm really curious. Clunky? What exactly reminds you of Windows?
I'm not who the question is directed at, but it's the little things for me. The buttons at the top are too big and manage to look mildly flashy while lacking any significant contrast. The software implements its own equivalents to the keychain and dictionary, neither of which correlate with the two the rest of the OS are using. Clicking a file to download it opens an annoying pop-up dialogue box that is too easy to lose behind other windows. Most of the extensions have the most horrid clunky user interfaces imaginable, but presumably look below standard on Windows also.

There are much worse allegedly OS X native offenders though. MS Office comes to mind, with it's weird "drag outline" window resizing, occasional rendering weirdness and refusal to respect the OS-wide setting for scrollbar behaviour.

EDIT:
Thinking about it harder, how can an optimised "Intel" build of Firefox be different to the real thing if the main developers are at all competent? As they aren't claiming separate Core Solo/Duo/Core 2 Duo versions it isn't like a G4/G5 thing where you can optimise from advanced knowledge about how many different kinds of execution units there are and which can run simultaneously — all the optimisers can possibly be claiming is that the original Intel build was messed up somehow.

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
The buttons at the top are too big ...
Have you tried right clicking on a button and selecting Customize and then Use Small Icons?

... and manage to look mildly flashy while lacking any significant contrast
Have you tried a different theme?

Clicking a file to download it opens an annoying pop-up dialogue box that is too easy to lose behind other windows
Have you tried using Download Statusbar?

Sean :)

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Fine, then Firefox has the visual aura of Windows about it because it takes a lot of effort to give it a decent user interface! Smaller buttons are nicer, although still almost contrast-free. I must remember to reobtain the stop/refresh button extension some day soon. At least, unlike Safari, you can get rid of the search box on the right of the address bar.

If I'm honest, my main complaint against Firefox is that on my old G4 Safari is snappy and fast but Firefox is tedious and slow. My guess is that Firefox is either VRAM heavy or is either unwilling or unable (given that it is cross-platform) to farm tasks out to Quartz, meaning that it is very CPU intensive. It's a shame because I think a lot of the switchers who came over with the original G4 Mac Mini will have immediately reached for Firefox, seen the performance and put the Mac into the cupboard.

Shadow

macrumors 68000
Feb 17, 2006
I dont care if its optimized or not, its still slower than Safari!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.