Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rayward

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Houston, TX
@ljonesj it's optional, not a default.

Very glad to hear it's optional. I am still worried, though, that at some point Apple will turn it on with an update and then it's going to try and unload 2TB of movies from my fusion drive.

I am pretty comfortable with Apple usually; this thing scares the crap out of me. I'm going to wait a good while before upgrading purely because of the existence of this "option".

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Has anyone figured out how optimized storage works with Time Machine? The idea of optimized storage on my laptop sounds interesting, but I have to say I would be very unhappy if files didn't get backed up because macOS thought they weren't high priority and they weren't stored locally on my Mac at the time of the backup. Does macOS temporarily download these files and then un-download them once they've been backed up, or something?

Apologies if this has been determined already!

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
@T'hain Esh Kelch I have not forgotten your question about uses of local space and remote space with optimised storage.

I have a high speed Internet connection, but the data sets that I'll use for test purposes are taking much longer than expected to upload to iCloud Drive. After a few troubled attempts, I'm now retrying with the operating system booted in safe mode.

Postscripts

Re: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23128071 and https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/23128993 I don't expect the required upload to complete with the current build of the OS.

Last edited:

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Optimize Storage

Apple's recent wording:

Save space by automatically removing iTunes movies and TV shows that you've already watched and by keeping only recent email attachments on this Mac.

Sierra-optimized-storage-1024x682.png

Optimize Mac Storage

Apple's recent wording:

The full contents of iCloud Drive will be stored on this Mac if you have enough space. Older Documents will be stored only in iCloud when space is needed.

iCloud.png

At http://techsviewer.com/macos-sierra-slow-fixes/ (the page from which both screen shots were taken) I see some possible misunderstandings:

When using macOS Sierra, you have access to identical backup of everything you have on your HD stored in the cloud. This backup can be accessed on your Mac and you can also download and use it on another Mac elsewhere. The remote access and unlimited nature of this storage is something to maximize by simply storing some of the data in the cloud and freeing up your disk space. You can always retrieve the data and files when need for their use arises. However, an external offline backup is often more preferable especially since the cloud backup automatically syncs and may choose to lose some data if unused for quite a long period of time.

1: I should not never treat it as a backup, although I understand why some customers will think of iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders in that way.

2: it's far from everything on your local disk. Even if you have enough space in iCloud for everything in the two local folders, you should expect some types of exclusion.

3: I'm not aware of an unlimited option. iCloud storage plans and pricing - Apple Support (en-gb version captured in April 2016) shows a maximum of 1 TB.

4: if the last sentence suggests that iCloud Drive Desktop & Documents Folders may lose data, that's probably untrue.

Side note (postscript): the article's recommendation of CleanMyMac 3 is highly questionable, but that third party software is off-topic from Apple optimised storage. The four points above are to draw attention to the types of misunderstanding that might become commonplace. Yeah o_O I should have chosen a better article as an example.

Distinction

Are the passive effects of Optimize Mac Storage ultimately significantly different from an on-demand effect of Optimize Storage?

(I'd like to test, but the amount of data in my iCloud Drive is not useful.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Feenician

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Re: the second screenshot above, @niji wrote:

does this mean: that if you do NOT click the check box at the bottom (Optimize Mac Storage) that in fact your Desktop and Documents Folders would be BOTH on your local device and in the iCloud and nothing would be evicted by apple?
if that is possible then i am all in for this sync as it would be me controlling what is deleted.
thanks for your advice.

The meaning of Apple's paragraph for [*] Optimise Mac Storage might become clearer if the two sentences (for that one feature) are rewritten in this way:

When this Mac has enough space for everything that's on iCloud Drive: everything that's there will also be stored on this Mac.

When this Mac has not enough space: newer documents will be in both places, older documents will be on iCloud Drive alone.

I would like to verify the truth of those statements, but I can not create a suitable remote data set; after days of trying, there's only 2.3 GB of documents. The combination of iCloud Drive plus the current build of Sierra is struggling to complete my first test set of around 1.05 GB.

From WWDC 2016 there's a transcript of What's New with CloudKit (session 226) which mentions iCloud Drive but there's no mention of optimised storage. https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedule/#/details/2300 and https://developer.apple.com/wwdc/schedule/#/details/2370 also mention iCloud Drive, but neither has a transcript.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpn and Feenician

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Still clear as mud, if you ask me. Why they didn't just add a "Sync Desktop & Documents with iCloud Drive" button is beyond me. This is another "iTunes Match" problem just waiting to happen.

steveaburns

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
Palo Alto, CA
Does anyone know how spotlight search is impacted by files optimized off your hard drive?

I like the idea of the optimized storage and will probably use it if Spotlight would still be able to index the files no longer stored on your hard drive, but still in the cloud. I have a server, that uses iCloud drive, and then backs up to Time Machine... so I don't mind if files get optimized off my laptop hard drive, and only exist in the cloud, but I do mind if when I do a search in spotlight, I find less and less files as they are moved out -- I need to be able to search through older files relating to business issues, and not have to re-download everything just to perform a search.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You could just symlink all those folders to the iCloud Drive folder and accomplish what you want.
Does iCloud Drive support symlinks? I thought I remembered reading that this wasn't supported back in the OS X Yosemite thread days. Did they change this in El Capitan?

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Still clear as mud, if you ask me. Why they didn't just add a "Sync Desktop & Documents with iCloud Drive" button is beyond me. This is another "iTunes Match" problem just waiting to happen.

Yes and maybe even more critical, depending on what data we expect to be present as reference material whenever needed.

The last access date has no necessary relationship to potential usefulness.

In our real lives when we put something in the attic that was in the kitchen, we know we did it. Two years later when we break a coffee carafe, we don't look on the countertop for a different one, we look in the attiic.

Again, with this thing there's the assumption we're always connected and the sytem will say oh that's up in the attic now, you want me to bring it downstairs? Well guess what: I didn't want it taken up to the attic to begin with. But since I'm not connected all the time, perhaps it's even worse and the system is going to say "I can't find what you are looking for, please connect to the internet to enable search."

Then I'm going to be an unhappy camper because I'm in some quilters' guild meeting in a no-internet podunk church hall, having promised to show someone a chart on how to resize sawtooth star blocks. It's the first time I've needed to see that chart in four years, and now it's gone just because I haven't looked at it for awhile?

This is not what personal computing is about for me today. That was back when everything had to fit on a 400k floppy diskette. We are going backwards here without more options on what to exclude from automatic removal to the cloud. I need to be able to drill down to file level or at least tags or folders.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
The last access date has no necessary relationship to potential usefulness.

You don't sense it, but that relationship does exist.

If Apple is to ignore the access date, then what better criterion or criteria do you suggest?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Seems to me it would be so much easier for users of all skill levels if Apple would set it all up as:
  • You pay for iCloud Drive service. Period. No freebie, no tiers, just one flat rate for iCloud Drive. (regular iCloud services like mail, calendar, reminders, etc remains the same as it is now)
  • If you pay for iCloud Drive, your entire Home Folder is SYNCED with all your Macs.
  • iCloud Drive Syncing pref panel offers ability to turn off syncing on folders of your choosing.
  • iCloud Drive prefs panel also offers an option to Optimize Storage by removing the local copy on all Macs of files that haven't been opened in a while.
It's not perfect, but it's much easier to understand for everyone than the current cluster$#ck that Apple is putting out there. Currently:
  • I have no idea what counts against my paid iCloud account and what doesn't.
  • I don't even know if I need to pay for iCloud at all just to Sync my Desktop & Document folders
  • I don't know what gets synced vs. moved/removed.
  • I have stuff on my desktop and in my docs folder getting backed up via iCloud... so does that mean that there's no need to use iCloud Drive anymore (the mobile iCloud Folder everyone has in their sidebar)?
  • What is the point of that iCloud folder now, if everything in my Desktop and Documents folder gets synced between my Macs?

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
It's not perfect, but it's much easier to understand for everyone than the current cluster$#ck that Apple is putting out there. Currently:
  • I have no idea what counts against my paid iCloud account and what doesn't.
  • I don't even know if I need to pay for iCloud at all just to Sync my Desktop & Document folders
  • I don't know what gets synced vs. moved/removed.
  • I have stuff on my desktop and in my docs folder getting backed up via iCloud... so does that mean that there's no need to use iCloud Drive anymore (the mobile iCloud Folder everyone has in their sidebar)?
  • What is the point of that iCloud folder now, if everything in my Desktop and Documents folder gets synced between my Macs?
Are these actual questions you have or hypothetical questions a user might have? :p

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Are these actual questions you have or hypothetical questions a user might have? :p
Hypothetical questions an average user might have, for the most part. As for me, I'm not sure what the answer is for some of them... such as the 5th question about the point of the iCloud folder now.

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Hypothetical questions an average user might have, for the most part. As for me, I'm not sure what the answer is for some of them... such as the 5th question about the point of the iCloud folder now.
My understanding is that the iCloud Drive folder still houses other files and folders as it always has, for example app data, or anything at all you had in iCloud Drive before Sierra came along. The Desktop and Documents folders are folders within iCloud Drive - it doesn't replace them.

Reactions: grahamperrin

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
To anyone who has the first golden master:
  • does Optimize Mac Storage still appear at the foot of the following dialogue?
iCloud —> Look Me Up By Email

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
To anyone who has the first golden master:
  • does Optimize Mac Storage still appear at the foot of the following dialogue?
iCloud —> Look Me Up By Email

I can't answer your question exactly, I didn't get the first GM and am downloading the 2nd now, but that setting isn't exactly at the bottom of "Look Me Up by Email", is it? Well, visually it is but not logically. It appears on the other tab of the iCloud Drive settings too, "Documents" and is a more general iCloud Drive setting. That dialog is a bit of a horror show though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.