Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
The G Pro is officially coming to AT&T on May 10th. I'm planning on pre-ordering on the 3rd. This will be my first Android smartphone. I've been using an iPhone for 6 years now. (3G - 4 - 5.)

Anybody else interested in this phablet?

Crap, this is going to make things difficult. On the one hand I love my HTC One, on the other I really miss the large screen from my Note 2. And this looks like a mix of the 2, better build and better screen than the Note 2 with the same specs as the One. But the ui is worse, updates will probably worse, 3rd party support will be worse, and the large footprint was sometimes uncomfortable to use................. But that large screen......

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I see tons of note users who barely take out the stylus.

The "point" is that it is a tablet and phone hybrid? Since when did stylus become a must have?
I barely use the stylus on my Note 2. But it is nice to have. I did find I can play Scramble with Friends faster with it. :)

Oh, and it was kinda cool when I left my office after work yesterday and the Note 2 sounded an alarm that I had left the stylus behind.

But a deal-killer? Nah. Maybe if I was more artistic or if my handwriting didn't suck.

Michael

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
The G Pro is officially coming to AT&T on May 10th. I'm planning on pre-ordering on the 3rd. This will be my first Android smartphone. I've been using an iPhone for 6 years now. (3G - 4 - 5.)

Anybody else interested in this phablet?

#&%@ yeah I am! :D

User replaceable battery was a must for my next smartphone.

Now I'll be able to carry a spare with me and double my battery life :)

Plus when my device is 2 years old I don't have to worry that the battery is old and can't hold a charge anymore like it once could (i.e. iPhone). I'll simply buy a new $12 anker battery off amazon and be back to 100% battery capacity.

Everything else is simply an added benefit:
- 5.5" 1080p IPS screen
- Snapdragon 600
- 32gb internal memory standard
- MicroSD slot
- 3140 mAh battery
- 13 mp camera
- IR blaster
- Programmable Q button that can be mapped for any function I want

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
It's very nice, but they lost me when they ditched the pen. The pen on the Note 2 is so incredibly functional.

What do you use the pen for? (Serious question.)

I'm trying to find ways to use it.... because it really is done well. Tried taking notes with it but I can swype much faster.

Michael

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I'm trying to find ways to use it.... because it really is done well. Tried taking notes with it but I can swype much faster.

Michael

I take lots of notes in OneNote, the pen works really nicely. I don't like the Samsung keyboard much as its so cramped and inaccurate I try and avoid it. Swipe is nice though and I use it a lot too, its nicer for when I'm cramped like in a car.

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
I don't need a stylus.

I see tons of note users who barely take out the stylus.

The "point" is that it is a tablet and phone hybrid? Since when did stylus become a must have?

Exactly. The Note was blasted for even having a stylus to being with. WTF do you need a stylus for? I can take notes EVEN FASTER just by typing with my fingers than I could using a stylus on a glass screen. Now people are making up phoney excuses against the Optimus G Pro saying "oh, but if it only had a stylus". Good grief.

Those idiot followers might as well be making up another lame reason too like "oh if only it had touchwiz" :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Exactly. The Note was blasted for even having a stylus to being with. WTF do you need a stylus for? I can take notes EVEN FASTER just by typing with my fingers than I could using a stylus on a glass screen. Now people are making up phoney excuses against the Optimus G Pro saying "oh, but if it only had a stylus". Good grief.

Those idiot followers might as well be making up another lame reason too like "oh if only it had touchwiz" :rolleyes:

The stylus on the Note 2 is nothing short of amazing, whether someone uses it much or not. If I had the Note 2, I would use it often for taking notes simply cause it feels and reacts as smooth as a real pen. You must think it's like the stylus from the old days. On a screen that freaking big, why wouldn't you want a stylus?

waa1futs

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2012
On a screen that freaking big, why wouldn't you want a stylus?

Because I would never EVER use it. I have this thing called a finger that I've been using with my smartphones for awhile now to type notes out and its much faster than trying to write notes with a stylus.

The only reason I could see using it is for wannabe hipster types that try to draw things with it so they can feel like they have artistic talent. Other than that? Use your fingers for typing / taking notes as it's much faster :rolleyes:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Because I would never EVER use it. I have this thing called a finger that I've been using with my smartphones for awhile now to type notes out and its much faster than trying to write notes with a stylus.

The only reason I could see using it is for wannabe hipster types that try to draw things with it so they can feel like they have artistic talent. Other than that? Use your fingers for typing / taking notes as it's much faster :rolleyes:

I seen people (including my mother) pull out the stylus, and the notes app instantly appears for them to write something quickly. I also played with the Note 2 myself, and it is faster and very convenient to use the stylus for taking quick notes. It may not be preferred by all to do so, but that's the meaning of choice. Calling people wannabe hipsters for using a stylus is immature. :rolleyes: back at cha.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006

During a call, take out the S-Pen and it automatically opens a pop up note for jotting down phone numbers, addresses, or other information whenever someone asks "do you have a pen"? I love saying yes right away and then hitting the info down fast, those little things make me come across as more professional lol. Also the S Note application is very useful for lots of things, especially the wolfram alpha mathematical function feature. I like the S-Pen for air view with the hovering cursor on certain desktop websites where they are designed for use on a mouse.

The Optimus G Pro seems nice, I'll have to check it out I wouldn't ditch the Note 2 for it and definitely wouldn't get it with the Note 3 pwn-all phablet coming later this year.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

Lol, well since I'm an "idiot follower" I'll say that taking notes on my NOte with the pen is pretty awesome, there is NO way I'd even approach the level of functionality with the swype keyboard, I'm talking about entering in 3-4 page reports, have fun doing that with swype.

For me the lack of pen is an issue, but I'm one of those users who has found a lot of use for the S-pen, others obviously have no use for the pen and the LG is a great option for them, it looks like a beautiful well built phone.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Looks like I might be the only one who actually uses the stylus on my Note 2 everyday.

This phone is a no go without it.

I'm gonna miss my Note 2 when I get the S4 next week. I'll probably end up picking up the Note 3 in the fall then. Let's see...

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
I fell in love with this phone the first time I saw it. I wanted to import it but wanted to wait (instead i got an Xperia ZL and now an S4). My only trepidation is that it's an Att exclusive, will only come in black and that horrible UI (which I know can be easily changed in Nova Launcher).

If I get tired of the S4, the G pro will be my daily driver.

i think the stylus is unnecessary.

blairh

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 11, 2007
I certainly would prefer the inclusion of a stylus however it is not a deal breaker for me. I'm going to pre-order tonight most likely. My only fear is the battery life and potential mediocre back speaker. This will be my first Android phone.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Is this phone going to be released internationally? I would love a version with little to no bloatware.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
What didn't you like about the Optimus G?

It really wasn't a terrible phone, but yeah, wasn't a huge fan of it.

Pros
- super responsive (the LG overlay is very good and it's all optimized for performance)
- LG software: they have some LG specific things that are quite good.
- good build quality
- SD card slot
- screen was super sharp
- loved the lights around the power button

Cons
- RF performance was dreadful. I was shocked by this. At my desk at work, I could maintain full bars on AT&T LTE with my iPhone and various Sammy devices. The LG would drop down to EDGE and nothing would work

- Battery life wasn't great at all. It only lasted 12+ hours if I went to power saver mode (which makes the phone not snappy and responsive)

- (this was the biggest reason): Poor dev community. the XDA Optimus G AT&T section is dead. There's like one ROM out there that works well (port from Korean market). I don't have the luxury of tons of roms like Samsung devices

- poor resale. I only picked up the Optimus G via trade because a guy offered it to me for my 16gb Nexus 4 plus he threw in $50. It was new in box. When I found out RF was an issue, it took me forever to sell it. I had to drop the price to $275 to get rid of it. No one wanted it.

For example, I sold my S3 the week before to someone for $400.

I'm sure this phone will end up like the Optimus G. It might have the specs and perform well, but it fails at key things like RF performance, battery, etc.

----------

Is this phone going to be released internationally? I would love a version with little to no bloatware.

LG bloat is pretty minimal. My Optimus G didn't have much at all.

akuma13

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Has anyone here got a G Pro?

Any first hand impressions? Especially compared to the S4?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.