Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasterm

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 5, 2006
I work for a theatre company and we use digital projectors to project backdrops for some of our shows. We keep expanding our shows and at this point we want to attempt a show using 4 projected surfaces.

Basically it'd be more convienent for control if the four displays could be run off a single computer. I'm not looking for huge resolutions here, just 800x600 x4 would be great, but which graphics cards for the Mac Pro would you suggest in order to run 4 screens simulatenously?

Looking through the custom options in the Apple Store, there are:

2 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB (Each card has 2 dvi ports, but are four displays at once supported)

or would I have to choose the 4 x NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT 256MB and have one display on each card?

Are there any other options that someone can suggest?

Thanks.

tipdrill407

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
The Mac Pro comes with a video card with two DVI outputs so all you need is the cheapest video card that is compatible with the Mac Pro and also has two DVI outputs than you'll be set.

dkoralek

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
Why strain 2 weak 7300 cards, just go with 4x 7300GTs. This way you can run up to 4x 30inch monitors.

Since the OP stated that the needed 4 displays at 800x600 resolution, why bother going with 4 graphics cards when even the 7300 can easily do that on two monitors per card?

cheers.

Fearless Leader

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2006
Hoosiertown
if their were enough roommfor ports a single 7300 could power those 4 monitors. You might be able to flash some other cards, but thats a) risky and b) kinda difficult. just get the second 7300. You could try to get 4 Mac pros. Not very practical but its a different option ;)

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
ehhh, i know you want 4 displays but the 7300 is not a great card. if you are doing any graphics work then id think twice. if you arent doing editing or playing games and just want the quad display for something else then help yourself

MacBass

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2005
La Crosse, WI
From your description, I think 2x 7300 cards would work well. If you can afford the upgrade, I would probably go for the 7300GT's.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
You may want 3 cards. 2 for the 4 projectors and 1 card for a primary monitor for somebody to view/control everything from. This would mean 4 projectors and a screen (or 2 screens if you wanted).

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Contrary to what some people are saying on here, the 7300s are great cards for the money. You might want to consider getting three of them, one dedicated to displaying a control monitor and the other two supporting two projectors each.

The 7300s will serve you fine unless you'd be using them for 3d modelling, high resolution gaming or some very high end movie animation software and by the sounds of things you wouldn't be doing any of these things.

One thing I'd have to ask though, wouldn't you maybe be better suited with a low end PC with multiple graphics cards? If you're only displaying still images at 800x600 then a Mac Pro *could* be considered overkill. Unless of course, you're considering upgrading to HD projectors and running high definition video through them.

Edit: SilentPanda got most of it first! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.