Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Hey there fellow aussies,

I just went out and got some prepaid internet from Optus this morning and I must say that I am very unsatisfied with the speed that I am connecting at. The max speed that I have been able to connect at is 37000 bps. Is this normal to expect from dialup?

The only reason I got it was so I could surf while at work (they are too stingey to provide access :( ). But at this rate I think i wasted my money.

Anyone else have prepaid and having the same dillemma?

aussie_geek

reptilia

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2004
I didnt have pre-paid, just a 12mth contract for dial up. Needless to say it was the longest 12mths of my life. I also had a lot of drop outs which was very frustrating. Switched over to cable with Optus about 6mths ago now and its been smooth sailing :)

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
aussie_geek said:
The max speed that I have been able to connect at is 37000 bps. Is this normal to expect from dialup?

The maximum speed you'll be able to get on an Australian phone line (reliably) is about 48k, but 44k is pretty average so 37k is fairly slow. I suspect it has nothing to so with Optus, and is more like the result of poor line quality at your dial out location or the local Telstra exchange. Telstra are only required to provide a phone line capable of 14k data transmission.

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Changed a pref and it's all good

I ended up ringing Optus to have a winge about it. They told me to set my modem preferences to V90 instead of V92. This made a big difference - can connect at 50kbps now with no dropouts. ;)

I actually have Optus cable at home and I only use the dialup at work. God bless cable internet, now I have to sit and wait for pages to load at work - a thing I havent had to do in ages...

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.