Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
All this Orange/T-mobile EE network is stupid.

As others are, i'm with Orange and will need the Nano Sim.
However i'll be switching to EE if 4G pricing is the same as i currently pay to Orange.

Do i try and get an Orange Sim in the meantime and will this be switched to EE network when available or will i then have to get another Sim from EE to transfer to them.

None of the providers seem to know when i have phoned them. There all clueless about Sims and EE switchover.

Lots of buyers will have the new IP5's sat there for some time i think, probably me included :(

cosmic68

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
I don't think that's quite right, from what I've read the difference between the micro and nano in terms of thickness is less than 1mm (apparently it's around 0.9 which is close to the width of a human hair). I'll probably just sand the back down a bit with a nail file.

----------

but the sim free ones from Apples website won't come with sims because they don't ask which network D:

Yes, you are right-Scrap what I said-they're saying something entirely different now. Soz for false hope.

AdamPUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
I am increasingly hearing that the pre ordered iPhone 5 will have a nano sim in it already-so basically you will only have to enter some details on Oranges website-ie enter the nano sim serial number with your details and everything should transfer.

O2 have a page up already to this, but if you have twitter-search O2 and nano sim and their official response to 100's of enquiries is that the iPhone will already have it inside.

If you go on the Apple UK Store site and click onto the section 'About the unlocked iPhone', it implies you have to obtain a SIM.

tombrookes

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Just called orange from work, they passed me through to the iphone department who told me that orange have no stock of the nano sim. They said that i need to call on the 24th of Sept and will send one in the post. Pretty annoyed but at least I know a date.

Althetrain

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
UK
Pre-Order now. Even if no nano sim available now.

Orange and O2 are not offering any assurance today of sim availability/compatibility.
Ring O2 and they offer phone support information but specifically exclude iPhone 5. How helpful is that?:mad:

NO WORRIES.:)
Pre-order iPhone 5 ANYWAY.
Apple confirmed to me that the phone can be returned up to 14 days after purchase with full refund.
That should give us at least 3 weeks from order placement today to find out the correct purchase route or sim availability from our existing providers.

Superfluous

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Orange UK Nano SIM Nightmare ctd

I ordered my iPhone 5 at 8AM this morning, SIM free from Apple.

My carrier is Orange UK and I am on a SIM only contract.

Straight after ordering it, I phoned Orange and asked to order a Nano SIM.

The CS guy didn't have a clue what a Nano SIM is and thought I was talking about Micro SIMS. I had to keep explaining that a Nano SIM is for iPhone 4, etc and a Nano SIM is for iPhone 5.

Eventually I got passed to another person who also didn't seem very knowledgeable.

On the basis that Orange market SIM Only deals tailored to the iPhone, I think it's ridiculous that they are so clueless.

Has anyone else in the UK on a SIM Only deal had more luck ordering a Nano SIM? And if so, with which network?

The thing is, if I want LTE/4G, I ideally need to stick with Orange and convert to EE when it's launched.

I too ordered an iPhone 5 online having first called Orange to make sure they were ok with it. They said "No problem, we'll send a new sim out to you". I emailed them to confirm that it was a nano-sim I was after and this is what I got back ...

"Thanks for the email.

Apologies for not realising it was a different sim card. I have spoke with my manager who has advised that unfortunately the nano sims are not available to be sent out on their own. You would have to upgrade direct through orange.

If you would like to discuss the offers available I could call you back at a quieter time to speak to the upgrades team.

Kind Regards
Audrey
Business Customer Services"

Surely this is in breach of competition legislation? If needs be, I'll leave Orange and use another provider.

Furious :mad:

bollyboy

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Manchester - UK
I too ordered an iPhone 5 online having first called Orange to make sure they were ok with it. They said "No problem, we'll send a new sim out to you". I emailed them to confirm that it was a nano-sim I was after and this is what I got back ...

"Thanks for the email.

Apologies for not realising it was a different sim card. I have spoke with my manager who has advised that unfortunately the nano sims are not available to be sent out on their own. You would have to upgrade direct through orange.

If you would like to discuss the offers available I could call you back at a quieter time to speak to the upgrades team.

Kind Regards
Audrey
Business Customer Services"

Surely this is in breach of competition legislation? If needs be, I'll leave Orange and use another provider.

Furious :mad:

Sounds like blackmail, might be easier to get one from EE once they have them in stock.

Superfluous

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Sounds like blackmail, might be easier to get one from EE once they have them in stock.

EE and Orange are one and the same. Anyway, I've emailed Orange and pointed them at this thread. Maybe the message will change in coming days. I hope so.

jonney92

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
just spoke to orange about the nano sim

just thought i would create a new thread as there has been alot of speculation about the nano sim and would orange be able to get them.

i asked orange, would i be able to change my current contracted sim card to a nano sim because i just brought an unlocked iphone 5 from the apple store.

and the person was unsure so he went and asked another one of his colleagues and he came back saying yes i would be able to change over to a nano sim but i would have to ring up on the release day and they would send me one out.

i then said could i collect one from in store and he said i wouldnt be able to as they will only stock enough for the pay monthly one which they will sell on the day.

hope this helps some of the confused people on here. i was starting to get worried i wouldnt be able to get a sim

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I would HIGHLY advise those in locked in contracts do NOT cancel their direct debits as you will be in breach of said contract, and Orange can take you to the cleaners should they choose.

Instead the better thing to do is see what happens, if Orange don't offer the Nano Sims then speak to their ombudsman (Not OffCom), http://www.cisas.org.uk/ seem to cover Orange.

cperchard

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
i left orange....got sick of it....phoned up to get my PAC code and now going with 3 @ £12.90 a month......much better deal anyway....and if EE eventually comes to my city then will review my options then.....the benefits of buying direct from apple :)

ripkord

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm pretty much hoping this will work. I can't see that 1 mm will make a huge impact, that's practically nothing. Here's hoping....

According to this guide at least:

"The difference in thickness between NanoSIMs and
previous SIM cards (90µm) corresponds to the
thickness of a human hair and should therefore not
make any difference in practice."

Yeah according to wikipedia the difference is 0.09mm which is the same as 90µm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subscriber_identity_module

I cant see why this wouldnt work. 90µm is nothing!

Last edited:

tbdibb

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2009
Just spoken to Orange Apple Support and they said nano SIMs would be available from 21st September. I know someone above said 24th, but at least this is a few days earlier. Going to pop in to my local shop tomorrow and see if I get (yet another) different answer.

AdamPUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
Just spoken to Orange Apple Support and they said nano SIMs would be available from 21st September. I know someone above said 24th, but at least this is a few days earlier. Going to pop in to my local shop tomorrow and see if I get (yet another) different answer.
Lets hope it gets sorted soon. So frustrating, especially when other networks like Three have the Nano SIMS ready for SIM Only orders already. Think this might resulting in a lot of customers leaving Orange if they don't get their act together.

afropigeon

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
just phoned orange for the 3rd time today, 3 different advisors have confirmed if i ring on the 21st when i recieved my iphone 5 they will send out a nano sim with my current number and said it will take around 2 days so dont worry :)

afropigeon

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
well the advisor put me on hold while she spoke to them and then past on the message so i hope she wasnt just lying, but im going to ring again on the 18th and ask for the iphone department to clarify, as they have told me 3 times i can deffo get one ordered on the 21st if they say otherwise i will go crazy at them and demand a new nano sim or ill leave for a different network provider. but i imagine all will be well.

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
just phoned orange for the 3rd time today, 3 different advisors have confirmed if i ring on the 21st when i recieved my iphone 5 they will send out a nano sim with my current number and said it will take around 2 days so dont worry :)

21st is a Friday. It wont take 2 days, it will be at least 3 probably 4. Thats not good enough. Its pathetic.

AdamPUK

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2012
There seems to be alot of noise on the Orange UK Twitter feed about this issue... hopefully the appropriate managers will become aware of it and we may *eventually* get some form of consistent communication from CS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.