Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
So here is the story,
I ordered a core i7 mac mini on the 21st when they offered free shipping. They charged my card for the full amount as soon as I placed the order. The next day I checked my online CC account and I noticed an extra charge from 'Apple Online' for $21.95. So I called Apple and they said that I got double charged for shipping. The rep I talked with authorized a refund for the cost of the extra shipping, I thanked her for figuring this out, and we ended the call.

So yesterday I checked my online CC account again and I see that the refund had been processed...but not for the amount of the double charge of the shipping. It was for the full amount of the cost of the order. On top of that I got an email confirmation today that it shipped.

So for the moment I am getting a mini that apparently the only amount I am paying for is the cost of shipping. Now, does anyone know can Apple go ahead and re-charge my CC for the cost of the order after it ships? How long into the future can Apple legally re-charge my CC?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Yes, they can charge you later if/when they discover the error. I'm not sure if there is a time limit on their right to collect what you rightfully owe them.

It's also possible that all of the charges haven't gone through on your card yet because of the weekend and holiday.

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Yes, they can charge you later if/when they discover the error. I'm not sure if there is a time limit on their right to collect what you rightfully owe them.

It's also possible that all of the charges haven't gone through on your card yet because of the weekend and holiday.

The charge is there along with the refund. It looks like the rep authorized a refund on the wrong transaction. My guess is at some point an audit will be done and it will be corrected. But how long do they have to correct that?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The charge is there along with the refund. It looks like the rep authorized a refund on the wrong transaction. My guess is at some point an audit will be done and it will be corrected. But how long do they have to correct that?

Probably as long as they want. It's not like you put any terms on your purchase (meaning you didn't say to them: "you have 90 days to collect").

My advice would be to call them up and let them know (and maybe they'll throw in some freebies as a thank you for your honesty) or to make sure that you always have enough room on your CC for when the charge does go through (and enough $$$ in the bank to pay it off if/when it happens).

mcb001982

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Manhattan NY
I'm sure they have probably already caught the glitch and once the transaction clear this week you will end up with just the correct charge that you're supposed to have.

SmurfBoxMasta

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
I'm only really here at night.
Well, back in the old days, I ordered a B&W G3/350/256MB from them, stock with no BTO options, but when it arrived it had a 400mhz cpu + 4x 256mb sticks of ram installed, and they did not charge me extra for either upgrade, even after I questioned them to see if maybe they shipped me someone else's machine, which they said they hadn't.........

And a buddy of mine ordered a refurb G5 from them that came with extra ram @not charge also.......

Tyr.

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
Antwerp, Belgium
My guess is they can't just deposit back the amount they overcharged and instead opted to annul the transaction, which will show up as a complete refund, and then create a new one for the correct amount which will show up after a few days processing over the holidays.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Call them again and tell them about their error. Don't be a jerk... You were quick enough to call when they over charged you, why wouldn't you do the same if they undercharged you?

Morals and Character. They define who we are.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
My advice would be to call them up and let them know (and maybe they'll throw in some freebies as a thank you for your honesty)

I suggest that too. I once contacted Apple about something similar and ended up with a $100 gift certificate.

bill-p

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2011
I bought some things from Apple recently and can say that it's not like they fully refunded anyone. They do an initial charge on the credit card to make sure that they could charge that amount (in case someone's credit card doesn't have enough credit to hold a large purchase), and then they pull back, which makes it look like a full refund, but it's not.

Once the item is shipped, delivered, and the signature all done, they'll charge the card again, with the same amount.

The reason they do this is to make sure that if the customer refuses the delivery, they won't be charged for the product.

If they did it the old way, and you refuse the package, you'd have to wait almost a week to get your money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.